Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by swampwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

On my Bally Playboy, one of the flippers sometimes gets stuck in the actuated state (i.e., it stays up even after unpressing the flipper button), such that I have to tap it down with my hand. What is the solution? New coil? New spring?

#2 4 years ago

Check your EOS switch for hang up on the pawl.
Plunger could gave a burr on it as well.

#3 4 years ago

Flippers will probably need to be rebuilt. Lift up the playfield and check the action on the plunger manually with the machine off. It should go in/out effortlessly.

#4 4 years ago

You need to find out if it is a mechanical issue or electrical. Most likely, as stated above, it's probably getting physically stuck on the end of stroke switch or something.

#5 4 years ago

Next time this occurs, immediately turn off machine, if it stays in the up position, it is a mechanical issue.
If so, do what FatPanda said and perform a rebuild. Be sure to replace the flipper bushing, some kits DO NOT include those!

#6 4 years ago

"Flipper rebuild" is a wide ranging thing. Just because it's sticking does not mean you need to spend $60 on a full rebuild kit; thats the old baby with the bathwater there. It literally might be moving a switch 1/4", and throwing in some new sleeves.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"Flipper rebuild" is a wide ranging thing. Just because it's sticking does not mean you need to spend $60 on a full rebuild kit; thats the old baby woth the bathwater there. It literally might be moving a switch 1/4", and maybe throwing in some new sleeves.

Flipper rebuild would be new bushings, sleeves, plungers, coil stops, EOS's, return springs etc. It may be resolved with what you mentioned, but for me, it would be a full rebuild, but again, that's just me. Flippers are the only way you interact with the ball while playing, so it behooves me to not skimp on this part, at the least

but yes, it could be just gapping a switch or throwing on new sleeves.

#8 4 years ago

If it's not mechanical, it might be a magnetized coil stop.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

If it's not mechanical, it might be a magnetized coil stop.

probably this

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Flippers are the only way you interact with the ball while playing,...

Well you're doing it wrong

But seriously, every time you have a an issue with a flipper you buy a new rebuild kit or complete all these swap outs? Unless I missed from another thread or something he just picked up this machine?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well you're doing it wrong
But seriously, every time you have a an issue with a flipper you buy a new rebuild kit or complete all these swap outs? Unless I missed from another thread or something he just picked up this machine?

No I don't. I admit I was making assumptions that they were beat and worn flippers. And you're right, the flippers aren't the only way to interact with the ball. Nothing gets past you!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No I don't. I admit I was making assumptions that they were beat and worn flippers. And you're right, the flippers aren't the only way to interact with the ball. Nothing gets past you!

They don't call him The Law for nothing!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Next time this occurs, immediately turn off machine, if it stays in the up position, it is a mechanical issue.
If so, do what FatPanda said and perform a rebuild. Be sure to replace the flipper bushing, some kits DO NOT include those!

I was ready to try this, but then all of a sudden a much more important issue crept up!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-problem-bally-strange-sound-and-other-stuff#post-5458314

#14 4 years ago

does Playboy have Linear flippers? along with the above mentioned I have had results just replacing the "nyliner sleeves" https://www.pinballlife.com/516-snap-in-nyliner.html and ensuring the bracket holding them was straight.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

does Playboy have Linear flippers?

Nope.

It's probably the usual problem of the plunger end burring from wear and getting caught on the coil stop. Take the plunger and coil stop out and file away the burr. See if that fixes it.

#16 4 years ago

OK, it looks the problem that had overtaken this particular one has been solved, so I attempted to play it for a while and pull out the power plug. For about 20 minutes of play, I only had this sticky flipper once, but by the time I got to unplugging it (and the plug was right at my feet), it de-actuated before I could do it. FWIW, it unstuck once the Grotto coil actuated (i.e., I had made a great shot to get it in there ).

Maybe I had not emphasized how rare this is. I'll try to get some more play to get the flipper stuck again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-gets-stuck-as-actuated-sometimes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.