Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by BinGhanem
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I was playing IM tonight while I was talking on the phone, so I held the ball on the left flipper till I finish my phone call, suddenly the left flipper just died, and the ball drained :'(

I thought the game won't allow me to hold a ball for a certain time, but when I started a new game, the flipper didn't work, the left one only, tried to switch off the game and stuff, nothing happened.

I opened the coin door and smelled something, I looked for the fuse, and yes it was the fuse.

when I googled this, I saw many people having this issue, is it something you have from time to time, or is there something wrong with the wires?

also, what I'm looking for exactly here, "E.3A/250VP" on top and "313" on bottom of the fuse

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=fuse&x=0&y=0

which one is that?

#2 12 years ago

That's what your looking for and check the coil.

#3 12 years ago

Ok, so I changed the fuse, and everytime I turn on the game the fuse blown up, should I change the flipper coil ?

I tried the fuse from the right flipper into the left but it was blown too. so now Im sure it is not the fuse lol

any advice please?

#4 12 years ago

If the flipper is blowing fuses, i'd say the coil is likely bad. Disconnect the power wire from the flipper coils, and check resistance across the coil and compare to the working coil - be sure to use the correct polarity, as the diode will always have near-zero resistance in one direction;
The smell was not from the fuse going (a blown fuse won't smell - it's contained in that glass tube!), it was from the failure that caused the fuse to blow.

Now why did the coil go bad while holding the ball on the flipper? I'd suspect that the EOS switch wasn't making contact, so the high power coil was left on for the whole time - if you had thought of it at the time, you would likely have found that the coil was hot enough to burn you (do a visual inspection of the coil, see if it shows any signs of overheating) - at least if the problem was in the coil - of course, it could be in the drive circuits for the coil too.

#5 12 years ago

It sounds like you may have overheated the coil and it is now shorted. It could also be the transistor that drives that coil, but the fact that you smelled something when opening the coin door makes me think of the coil being the culprit. Technically this shouldn't happen, but when you hold the ball on the flipper there is current flowing through the coil, which will heat it up. If you hold it long enough, things are going to get hot.

Do you have a multimeter? You'll need one to check the resistance of the coil, check its diode, and to check the transistor that drives the coil.

#6 12 years ago

Using a Multimeter check the resistance of the coil (game turned off). It should be above 3.8 ohms. If it's not disconnect one end of the diode and check again. If it's still low, then the coil has probably shorted. Also, you may have blown a transistor, and possibly it's pre-driving transistor.

#7 12 years ago

I'll have to get multimeter then I'll check the coil, thanks everyone for the help, I'll let you know soon !

#8 12 years ago

Just an update,

I called the stern dealer here and the technical support told me to move the right coil to left and try, I was like, but I might lose the right coil, also they are not the same. He told me it is the only way to check :s

also, the multimeter gave me reading "1".

anyway, I did what they told me to do and the fuse blew again. they told me the problem must be from the board. I think it is the transistor.

They don't supply transistors and I have to send the whole board, I prefer ordering some transistors online and try, if that didn't work, I'll just send the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.