(Topic ID: 67217)

Flipper Freakout when pressing Flipper Button (VIDEO ATTACHED)

By policano

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by policano
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Afternoon Pinside,

Just got back from EXPO. Stayed up all night and drove back from Chicago. Excited to get my new pin in the house and setup, I noticed something goofy going on with the right flipper. When you press the button its like you are rapidly pressing it. I attached a video so you can see what I am talking about. Any ideas one what I need to do? I tried to adjust the leaf switches but no matter how much I make them look like the left side, it continues to do that.

https://vimeo.com/77346056

#2 10 years ago

Clean that EOS switch's contact on the chattering flipper. If that doesn't help, do a search under chattering flipper or chattering coil.

Best of luck.

Which machine is that?

#4 10 years ago

Thanks, I will try that. It was working fine earlier in the EXPO Free Play area but when we pulled the machine to pack, it was doing it.

#5 10 years ago

Its has a bad broken wire on the coil same thing happen on my bad cats.

#6 10 years ago

Yes, as mnpin wrote clean that EOS switch and adjust...sometimes you can use that 'big blue spark' you see in vid when flipper operated as a clue it needs adjustment/ cleaning. Also if not cure, check where the coil winding wires attach to the lugs for broken wire or coil lug....usually the thinner wire is culprit. Good luck.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Its has a bad broken wire on the coil same thing happen on my Bad Cats.

The smaller hold wire, to be exact. Likely nothing to do with the EOS switch.

#8 10 years ago

Actually the little plastic that touches the EOS switch broke, I found it in the cab. I am trying to compromise with it.

#9 10 years ago

I actually have no Idea. I thought it was because it is missing this little plastic ring that touches the leaf spring but when I went to get one off of my Sharp Shooter, they are not even on there.

#10 10 years ago

Maybe I will just swap out the Coil with my Sharp Shooter and see if that resolves the problem.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from policano:

Maybe I will just swap out the Coil with my Sharp Shooter and see if that resolves the problem.

As mentioned above, you likely have a broken coil wire. Look at the coil closely and find the two lugs where the smaller wire coming off the coil connects to the lugs. One of the two ends has likely broken. You can either resolder the wire, or replace the coil. If you do resolder the wire, make sure enough insulation is scraped off so that you can make a good connection.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

mario_1_up said:

Its has a bad broken wire on the coil same thing happen on my Bad Cats.

The smaller hold wire, to be exact. Likely nothing to do with the EOS switch.

This is what you want to look for. The thinnest wire coming off the coil, and/or any wires that connect to that lug. You may even need to take off the wrapper to find it.

Edit: ^^^what phish said^^^ I think we might have posted at the same time

#13 10 years ago

Thanks guys. I ended up replacing the coil and of course it has little to no power. It isnt doing the rapid anymore but no power. It is really slow. I assume that I didnt get a clean enough connection?

#14 10 years ago

So I took it apart again, spent the time to remove the old solder and redid it. It made do difference. The coil is fine on the other game I pulled it from.

#15 10 years ago

You sure the replacement coil has the same specs?

If nothing else you can swap the left and right coils to confirm that's the issue

#16 10 years ago

Hard(for me)to really tell from vid but...is there a 'rubber' on the PC. Of metal that opens the EOS switch on the left(as you look at vid)and NOT not the right that's in question? Also, make are that EOS switch contacts are really clean and adjusted properly. Almost looked like the screw that hold the flipper pawl in was hitting switch...hard to tell from vid. You should have really good contact before switch opens and then that switch (EOS)should just open at the end of flipper stroke. I believe the cleaning and adjustment of that EOS switch will get you back in action. Please post back w/results. Good luck.

#17 10 years ago

P.s.....that switch has been arcing for a quite a while I think(burn mark on plate)....look closely for pits int the contacts also and file smooth w/metal file. Give it a good cleaning and adjust and I think you'll be back in action! (Famous last words : )

#18 10 years ago

It is the same specs. The numbers are the same on each coil?

#19 10 years ago

Well hmmm. I reflowed solder. I must not be doing something right. I think I am just too tired from EXPO. Stayed up and didn't sleep overnight. Hopefully tomorrow after I return from the Cabin Closing crap, I can look at this again. I wanna play my new game that I picked up at EXPO

#20 10 years ago

After looking at the old coil I removed from the game, the coil is in fact frozen. The sleeve is stuck. I think that was my problem. One the new coil I took from another working game, I still cannot get enough power. Maybe I have too much bare wire showing on my connections? I noticed on the other side that they have little wire showing and the solder is right next to the wire cover. Maybe pull everything off and start again?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.98
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-freakout-when-pressing-flipper-button-video-attached and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.