You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

256g0641.pdf (PDF preview)
09564172-DE31-4387-AE3D-8E0D62B79F89 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hey,

Is it possible, to find replacement dmd to this machine anywhere? DMD extender, or Pin2dmd style replacements would be good as well, or anything similar, but I couldn't find anything that's compatible. DMD size is 256x64.

#2 4 years ago

I wish you luck on your quest. That display is the only reason I never bought one local to me for 1000. Be nice if they make something LCD related as the high resolution standard size dmd is practically unobtainium.

#3 4 years ago

I had a similar issue. Is yours broken or do you not even have a display? If it is broken, contact Vishay. They may be able to repair it. Last time I contacted them for this they said they had some repair parts for the display still in stock and could possibly repair a few more. There is no alternate that I could find. I was lucky to find a pinsider who sold me a NOS but broken display which I was able to repair (Had a blown transistor) myself. If you can find a dead one, that might be an option too.

#4 4 years ago

Can you post a picture of the back of the DMD with everything connected?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I had a similar issue. Is yours broken or do you not even have a display? If it is broken, contact Vishay. They may be able to repair it. Last time I contacted them for this they said they had some repair parts for the display still in stock and could possibly repair a few more. There is no alternate that I could find. I was lucky to find a pinsider who sold me a NOS but broken display which I was able to repair (Had a blown transistor) myself. If you can find a dead one, that might be an option too.

It's outgassing, really badly, can't really help that as far as I can tell. We can do repairs if we found a non working one, with fixable issues.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you post a picture of the back of the DMD with everything connected?

We have the machine in storage at the moment. I'll probably have the time to unpack it around next week. Can I ask what would the photo be used for?

#6 4 years ago

I literally just picked one up a few hours ago. I can see about getting pics of the dmd back.

#7 4 years ago

I would like to see the back of the non-functional DMD. Is there a manufacture and part number on the board?

#8 4 years ago

I would like to see the back of the non-functional DMD. Is there a manufacture and part number on the board?

Remember this thread?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-pinball-magic-18-volt-dmd-anyone-ever-seen-one-before

#9 4 years ago

There is definitely a demand if someone could offer a replacement...

#10 4 years ago

Yes. I don't want to assume it has a Vishay DMD as Sega games such as Baywatch, Maverick, Batman Forever and Frakenstein also used a Babcock large DMD, which Vishay will not repair. Vishay only repairs Vishay labeled DMDs.

#11 4 years ago

I have a couple 256x64 displays for Flipper Football, one is NOS the others are used. PM if you're interested in one of them. I was saving them as spares for my factory test fixture but really don't need them all.

#12 4 years ago

Not mine, but an old pic of the back of the display.

09564172-DE31-4387-AE3D-8E0D62B79F89 (resized).jpeg09564172-DE31-4387-AE3D-8E0D62B79F89 (resized).jpeg
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from CoreyStup:

I have a couple 256x64 displays for Flipper Football, one is NOS the others are used. PM if you're interested in one of them. I was saving them as spares for my factory test fixture but really don't need them all.

THAT's where they all are!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Not mine, but an old pic of the back of the display.
[quoted image]

Here's a link to a better image that can be zoomed in:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-flipper-football-dmd-nos

2 weeks later
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from LuxZ:

Hey,
Is it possible, to find replacement dmd to this machine anywhere? DMD extender, or Pin2dmd style replacements would be good as well, or anything similar, but I couldn't find anything that's compatible. DMD size is 256x64.

If you are willing to buy one of these and send me a logic recording I can try to implement it into PIN2DMD firmware.

ebay.com link: USB Logic Analyzer Device Set USB Cable 24MHz 8 Channel 24MHz for Saleae ARM

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

If you are willing to buy one of these and send me a logic recording I can try to implement it into PIN2DMD firmware.
ebay.com link » Usb Logic Analyzer Device Set Usb Cable 24mhz 8 Channel 24mhz For Saleae Arm

Don't know why you were downvoted, but you have my upvote. Way to step up and help out the community!

#17 4 years ago

Because someone that plans on making money off the community should be buying their own equipment

#18 4 years ago

Because someone that plans on making money off the community should be buying their own equipment

I suppose... I don't think the demand is that high for that product so it sounds like it's helping out by doing the work to make his product work with that machine/DMD size. I can see both sides.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

ebay.com link » Usb Logic Analyzer Device Set Usb Cable 24mhz 8 Channel 24mhz For Saleae Arm

I'll gladly buy the USB Logic Analyzer Device, plus 10 more for other people, if someone can send along the logic recording.
All of this is way over my head but if he's willing to try, I'm glad to contribute.

Can anyone provide the logic recording to him?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

.. I don't think the demand is that high for that product

A certain percentage of demand is there over time. There will be some who will buy right away and sell their working original, some will buy one because theirs isn't, and others will wait till their display craps out.

I am all for a. LED display since that will give the longest life to another game we hope will last long after we are gone.

#21 4 years ago

Believe it or not. I don´t make any money off the community with pin2dmd because the donations I get for the firmware activation are 100% forwarded to charity organizations of my choice. Commercial sellers of pin2dmd hardware even have the option to donate directly to these organizations and I give them the key in exchange for a scan of the donation receipt for free. I have a real life job to earn enough money. Pinball and electronics is just hobby for me, which I enjoy (except the idiots that come by from time to time).

Back to the topic. Which are the dimensions of the display area ? 130 x 520 mm ?

#22 4 years ago

I have 1 NOS DMD to suit flipper football and have since sold my game. I'm open to offers.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Believe it or not. I don´t make any money off the community with pin2dmd because the donations I get for the firmware activation are 100% forwarded to charity organizations of my choice. Commercial sellers of pin2dmd hardware even have the option to donate directly to these organizations and I give them the key in exchange for a scan of the donation receipt for free. I have a real life job to earn enough money. Pinball and electronics is just hobby for me, which I enjoy (except the idiots that come by from time to time).
Back to the topic. Which are the dimensions of the display area ? 130 x 520 mm ?

Its a 256x64 dmd. I found the Vishay diagrams for their display and believe that is the same or should be close to. I will measure my non working one to confirm

256g0641.pdf256g0641.pdf
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Its a 256x64 dmd. I found the Vishay diagrams for their display and believe that is the same or should be close to. I will measure my non working one to confirm[quoted image]

Thanks for the datasheet. Unfortunatelly there are no suitable LED panels that can be used to replace that display size.
Using the 2mm dot pitch (P2) modules that are used to replace the sega 192x64 panels would result in a display size of 128x512mm and modules using SMD0808 (P1.2) or SMD1010 (P1.5) are not available with 64 pixel height.

#25 4 years ago

I think a LTA149B780F with a RaspberryPi (dmdextender) would be a good solution.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Thanks for the datasheet. Unfortunatelly there are no suitable LED panels that can be used to replace that display size.
Using the 2mm dot pitch (P2) modules that are used to replace the sega 192x64 panels would result in a display size of 128x512mm and modules using SMD0808 (P1.2) or SMD1010 (P1.5) are not available with 64 pixel height.

What about LCD like colordmd uses for their LCD ones?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

What about LCD like colordmd uses for their LCD ones?

PIN2DMD is based on LED panels. There is no LCD version. For LCD there is DMD Extender or SmartDMD

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

PIN2DMD is based on LED panels. There is no LCD version. For LCD there is DMD Extender or SmartDMD

ColorDMD sells a capcom LCD screen. I am going to contact them and see if this can work. The dimensions of the screen are compatible with Flipper Footballs DMD. http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-sigma/

#29 4 years ago

So after contacting and failing to purchase a DMD from pinsiders, I actually bought 2 working flipper footballs for $600 each lol. But I'm still a nice guy and still contacted colorDMD and am working with them on making an LCD replacement DMD for others. So for those who need them can get alternatives and not have to deal with the headaches.

#30 4 years ago

Nethawk86 Thanks for being a nice guy!

1 month later
#31 4 years ago

lucky1 Sorry, just got back to this thread. Of course I would be willing to buy that logic analyzer, but I see that since then you already came to the conclusion that there are no suitable replacement led panels. It's a pity, thanks anyway for willing to do it.

Nethawk86 Amazing news, let us know how it goes.

11 months later
#32 3 years ago

Any updates?

#33 3 years ago

The closest we get is using these LED panels
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32965783207.html

They have a 1.25 dot pitch while the original has a 1.27 dot pitch.
Total display size using 2 panels would be 150x400mm with 120x320 dots.
The 64x256 data needs to be centered on these displays which results in a viewing area size of 80x320mm compared to the 10,7x324,5mm

Biggest drawback is the price 400$ for the 2 panels needed.

I think we have to wait until these get cheaper.

3 weeks later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-football-dmd-replacement?hl=insideoutlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.