You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

xuVzLtY - Imgur (resized).jpg
7h9ZSTv - Imgur (resized).jpg
UOgw4Qp - Imgur (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Trying to repair a botched repair job. The caps were removed off the board and wires put in place, unsure quite why. Several of the led fuse indicators were off and the fuses were good. The solder joints were questionable and I had to cut the caps off to test anyhow so I unsoldered the wires and this is what is left. Looks like either the solder attempt burned up some of the exposed trace on some or there was an attempt to remove some of the cover and use the trace further down. I'm far from an expert but what it looks like is that one connection is on each side of the board, ok. So if the trace is completely gone on that side (which I don't think any are COMPletely gone) is it a workable fix to remove some of the cover over the trace a bit further down and solder to that? I recall some remover that does that or maybe you can scrape it away (which is possibly what has already been done)?

I am not worried about this board too much, available and I was going to grab one anyhow since I don't know if anything else is wrong. You can see the dark area around the 3 resistors adjacent, not sure if that is pending issue or already repaired. I assume them getting that hot isn't normal.

As an aside, this is my first time testing caps. The cap test mode on my meter was weird... the readout would "stutter" and only show values once in a while. I was unsure if the readings were accurate. I used the voltage test and only some of the caps would hold voltage so that seems enough to me to start with that issue and replace them all, resolder them properly and see where that goes.

Any thoughts to guide a novice repair hack?

UOgw4Qp - Imgur (resized).jpgUOgw4Qp - Imgur (resized).jpg

7h9ZSTv - Imgur (resized).jpg7h9ZSTv - Imgur (resized).jpg

xuVzLtY - Imgur (resized).jpgxuVzLtY - Imgur (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Priced out the caps. Man, working on getting that board on ebay because parts alone look to be $40 or so. I see some of the traces are both top and bottom and one of those C11 looks to be missing the exposed trace for the top side, if I understand correctly. So definitely looks to be some work involved in making it functional, if I am correct again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet Parts
Eville Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-football-capcom-power-board-cap-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.