Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Noticed while playing tonight that my right Congo flipper flutters and goes down when you hold the button down. Flips and is playable, but it won't stay in the hold position. Is this possibly a contact issue on the button or is there more to this problem? Haven't ever encountered anything quite like it on any of my pins.

#2 11 years ago

I'd think coil issue.

You could swap left and right coils and see if problem moves.

I'd be betting on a poor solder joint at the coil lugs, loose wire, or one of the tiny wires coming off the coil to the lugs has a break or crack - you had to dig/poke around them to find. And or broken diode legs.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

There are three coil lugs. One is for hold power. If the hold power is out then flutter will occur as the flipper charges, the high power cuts assuming hold power will hold it. But them the flipper starts to drop so EOS hits and tells the CPU to send another high power burst. This continues until you release the flipper button.

I would check if one of the three wires came loose off the coil. I would bet that the coil, itself is not the problem, but it could be. First check the wires. If it looks ok I would check voltage with the dmm on the hold and ground lugs while the flipper button is held in during game. This will tell you if there is hold voltage. Should be 8-10v or such. No voltage indicates a wiring or board issue. You could swap coils as LTG suggested or just reflow the solder at the wires to the coils.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the help guys.

#5 11 years ago

I just ran into this exact problem. I swapped out the coil and the issue went away. Cut the diodes on the bad coil figuring one was bad. They were fine. I pulled off the label and there was a broken wire under the label. No idea how that happened. I suppose I could have saved a bunch of time if i tested for resistance.

#6 11 years ago

thanks to Mark and Lloyd for the help. I should have looked before I posted, there was a disconnected wire on the coil. Glad there are some good guys on this forum to help out.

1 year later
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You could swap left and right coils and see if problem moves.
LTG : )

I did this and no fluttering on either side. Now what?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from t2:

I did this and no fluttering on either side. Now what?

Quit.

You had a poor solder joint and swapping coils fixed it.

LTG : )™

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-flutter-on-congo-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.