You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

that_is_awfully_close_(resized).JPG
flipper_(resized).jpg
IMG_0282_(resized).JPG
IMG_0283_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

Since all the flippers stop working, I wonder if the Flipper Enable Relay is de-energizing. It should energize and stay energized as long as a game is going on. If it drops out, it shuts off all the flippers. The IC at U4 and transistor Q15 should be holding it on.

Could the diode on the coil of the left flipper be backwards? Maybe after the flip, the coil voltage collapses and goes back up the line to screw with the MPU and make the Enable relay release?

Just a guess. There is some useful information about Bally/Stern flipper configurations here: http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_flipper1.htm

#9 7 years ago

That's really a puzzle. The coil has a schematic right on it, which you seem to have followed perfectly. Diodes are the right way round, and it seems like all your wires go to the right places. If the EoS switch is shorted, I'm not sure that it would instantly shut off all the flippers, since it'd basically be behaving like the EoS was just misadjusted. It does appear to be shorted, though, and you'd want to fix that right off.

Now watching the video in slow motion it seems like it sparks down near the pawl. I think there is supposed to be fish paper on the EoS switch or a little rubber pad on the pawl arm that opens the EoS switch up. Without something to insulate it, I think you may be grounding +40V into the pawl, which might be causing a problem.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder if the lamp socket is touching the flipper base plate ?

that_is_awfully_close_(resized).JPGthat_is_awfully_close_(resized).JPG

That's also a strong possibility. It is really close to where the spark happens.

#16 7 years ago

vid1900 has the sharpest eyes.

You may still want to check that solder joint on the EoS switch for a short. Also, I'd still make sure that the pawl isn't making contact to the actual EoS switch leaves. The plastic spacer should open the EoS leaves without any metal to metal contact. Could the EoS switch have completed a circuit through the leaf with the spacer, through the pawl, to the lamp socket? I wonder since the lamp touching didn't seem to be a problem until the flipper plunger tried to pull in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

7,995 (OBO)
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-flips-once-then-dies?tu=JoeNewberry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.