Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by GaryMartin
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-06-28_21.10.14.jpg
    2012-03-01_18.32.17.jpg
    100_0019.JPG
    100_0018.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Was just wondering if anyone has tried PinballPro.com subs or speakers and how they stack up against Flipper Fidelity. If I was going to buy a sub I'd go FF due to the rave reviews on here, but was wondering if anyone has a set and how they stacked up

http://www.decoratorsupply.com/pinball/

#2 12 years ago

I have used both, prefer the FF.
    The powered subwoofer is also an option, I have added RCA drops to my games and move it around.

#3 12 years ago

Both great. Service and support category goes to FF. Mike at Flipper Fidelity is a great guy to work with. Very professional, Stern distributor and easy to contact. I bought my Stern ACDC Pro from him. Powered sub is ok but feels distant and some how off.

#4 12 years ago

I am also a big FF fan. Mike is by far one of the best to work with in our hobby. I have 3 powered sub woofers and have to agree they sound distant ( I have the polk and sony). I will use the powered sub woofers on my B list pins ( so as not to put the money directly into them) , but the A list get FF.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I have used both, prefer the FF.

+1

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

I am also a big FF fan. Mike is by far one of the best to work with in our hobby. I have 3 powered sub woofers and have to agree they sound distant ( I have the polk and sony). I will use the powered sub woofers on my B list pins ( so as not to put the money directly into them) , but the A list get FF.

I have two FF in my NGG and IJ and love them. I also have played a STTNG with a FF system and it totally rocks! I also agree that Mike is a great guy to deal with. I will buy more in the future.

#7 12 years ago

Pinball pro was first. I have both and both products are virtually the same. You can't go wrong with either. Shipping time is equivalent on both also. Pinball pro seems a few bucks cheaper but not significant. Service is equal on both. You can't go wrong either way.

#8 12 years ago

I don't thing ff makes a product for system 11 machines

#9 12 years ago

Flipper Fidelity would be my vote.... The customer service is outstanding.... Mike runs a solid business with excellent customer support....

3 months later
    #10 11 years ago

Old thread but just thought I'd add some thoughts. Just installed a full kit into my Tron - end result is something I'm not happy with. The kit I got from them long ago was for Twilight Zone, and you could adjust the power of the sub separately, with main volume adjusting the backbox. These kits are the other way around, but the P Pro backbox speakers in a new Stern are really far too quiet unless you jack the machine volume into the high 30s and beyond, and at that point the sub is just booming far too loud.

Annoyed as it took a while to install, probably going to pull it all out, or at least the backbox part because the new Stern sound boards just can't drive those speakers anywhere near as well as they can drive the sub.

Disappointed.

#11 11 years ago

Your analysis doesn't make sense at all. When you install the stern kit, it comes with a vol control. The bigger speakers require more power to drive them. Therefore, you turn the system volume up. I usually go to around 48. Then you turn the vol control knob that you just installed down until the speakers are the right volume you want. This results in booming bass but normal volume speakers.

The vol knob will lower the vol of tgd backbox speakers. If this is not what's happening then you have it installed wrong.

What part of what I described is different for you?

Also the Tz kit would be totally different and incompatible. The speaker in a WMS system is crossed over way higher than the stern subs. In addition the older WMS sound systems had only one audio amp. Therefore the vol knob is on the sub. Wpc dcs, wpc 95, Sega, data east, and stern all have two amps. One for back box and one for cabinet (sub).

#12 11 years ago

something I'm not happy with

I purchase a pinball pro full kit for STAR WARS DATA EAST . I ended up not using the back nbox speakers as the 18 year old factory sounded better The sub is fair to partly cloudy. Go with external powered sub-woofer and add it along with all the original speakers. This way powerd sub will not sound distant.It is the only way to go I think.

100_0018.JPG100_0018.JPG

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I usually go to around 48. Then you turn the vol control knob that you just installed down until the speakers are the right volume you want. This results in booming bass but normal volume speakers.
    The vol knob will lower the vol of tgd backbox speakers. If this is not what's happening then you have it installed wrong.
    What part of what I described is different for you?

Nothing - that's exactly how it's working, but if I turn up the machine volume control to get decent sound from the new backbox kit, the sub is knocking the walls down - which isn't what I wanted, or how the last kit sounded. I know WPC is different, I was just using the TZ setup as an example in terms of sound. I want to be able to turn the sub down, not turn the backbox speakers down which are already too quiet in comparison by a long, long way. The best tune in the game (Derezzed) sounds pretty bad now, it sounds thumping if you're familiar with it, but in reality there's not a huge amount at the lowest end. End result in gameplay is the booming from everything else totally drowns it out.

I'll probably put the stock speakers back in next week sometime, this just doesn't sound good.

All the other upgrades that went on today were nice. Flipper Fidelity LED backboard kit, I turned the animation to very slow colour fading, but even when switched to non animated it looks significantly better than the flourescent tube did. Shaker motor is pretty cool, and the I ripped out the EU model Pinled display and put a proper Babcock DMD in (along with the rest of the wiring and hardware you need). The animations look much better.

#15 11 years ago

RobKnapp, did you add the ext powered sub along with the sub in the cabinet or did you disconnect the internal to hook up the ext ??

#16 11 years ago

Add the external powered sub to the bottom cabinet speaker with 16 gauge speaker wire. Use aligator clips or solder in. Then plug wire to the exteral subs speaker (IN) ports. You loose a lot of midrange sound if you bypass the cabinet bottom speaker.

#17 11 years ago

So what about the FF sub, is it adjustable?

It seems the PP sub isnt the one to get based on comments in this thread.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Add the external powered sub to the bottom cabinet speaker with 16 gauge speaker wire. Use aligator clips or solder in. Then plug wire to the exteral subs speaker (IN) ports. You loose a lot of midrange sound if you bypass the cabinet bottom speaker.

On my TRON, I bypassed the stock bottom woofer. I was debating on picking up a FF bottom woofer to run along with my 10" ext sub... Or should I just keep the stock woofer in the cabinet ??

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

Nothing - that's exactly how it's working, but if I turn up the machine volume control to get decent sound from the new backbox kit, the sub is knocking the walls down - which isn't what I wanted, or how the last kit sounded. I know WPC is different, I was just using the TZ setup as an example in terms of sound. I want to be able to turn the sub down, not turn the backbox speakers down which are already too quiet in comparison by a long, long way. The best tune in the game (Derezzed) sounds pretty bad now, it sounds thumping if you're familiar with it, but in reality there's not a huge amount at the lowest end. End result in gameplay is the booming from everything else totally drowns it out.

Ok so you're saying that when you have the backbox knob turned to "max" that the sub volume is still too loud? Over here, I have the knob turned to less than half closer to "min" and the sub shakes like crazy. It is hard to know where the sub leaves off and the shaker takes over. TZ doesn't have a lot of bass, so you won't get much the same performance out of that. But it sounds to me like you were actually not happy with that much bass?

If you want to reduce the sub volume further, you could put a 8 or 16 ohm resistor on the + tab of the speaker and solder your speaker wire to that. That would lower the volume of your sub. An 8 ohm would cut the vol in half, and a 16 would cut it in 4. I believe the sub in the cabinet is 8 ohm. If it's actually 4 ohm, then substutute my suggestions where 8=4 and 16=8 for resistors. You can get these resistors locally at radio shack or such for a few cents.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

I bypassed the stock bottom woofer. I was debating on picking up a FF bottom woofer to run along with my 10" ext sub... Or should I just keep the stock woofer in the cabinet ??

I personally would save your money.And use the original STERN speaker.I think the mid-range sound it produces will complement the external sub woofer excellent. I do not KNOW how to add an exteral sub to a FF sub that also may have its own amp? If you feel you must do it.Then PM Black-Rose. He tinkered with his AC/DC. But I think you are better off just doing what I have done and I Know it is easy and sounds great once you dail in the external subs volume & frequency!!

#21 11 years ago

Cool, thanks for the info RobKnapp

#22 11 years ago

I like Flipper Sound (yes flipper sound not fidelity)

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I'll probably put the stock speakers back in next week sometime, this just doesn't sound good.
    All the other upgrades that went on today were nice. Flipper Fidelity LED backboard kit, I turned the animation to very slow colour fading, but even when switched to non animated it looks significantly better than the flourescent tube did. Shaker motor is pretty cool, and the I ripped out the EU model Pinled display and put a proper Babcock DMD in (along with the rest of the wiring and hardware you need). The animations look much better.

On a Stern game you have to work the two volumes. The door operates the sub volume basically, and the backbox one operates the backbox speakers. You should be able to set the backbox at max and the door at min, then slowly increase the door volume until you get good sound from the backbox...then adjust accordingly. At least that's how I remember doing it on spiderman/im.

#24 11 years ago

FF in Stern

Pinball Pro in Bally/ Williams.

2012-03-01_18.32.17.jpg2012-03-01_18.32.17.jpg 2012-06-28_21.10.14.jpg2012-06-28_21.10.14.jpg

#25 11 years ago

Yup, I've been having my issues with FF backbox speakers as well. Just can't seem to get a crisp and clear sound out of my Tron Le.

#26 11 years ago

I had FF in my FGY and was disappointed in the sound (loss of high end and way too much mid). Agree that Mike runs a very customer-oriented business.

I put the full PP kit in my TRON LE and couldn't be more pleased. I replaced the sub and kept the factory backbox speakers and played a few games to get an idea of the sound difference. Then I replaced the backbox speakers and was impressed with the improved sound.

It all comes down to the crossover frequency and each game has a different mix for it's sound package. If you're lucky you can read some reviews and benefit from others results.

#27 11 years ago

If anybody is having a problem with a FF system in a tron call Mike, the owner of flipper Fidelity. He will make everything right. I was having problems and Mike sent me anther sub since the old one had a problem. This system should sound really really good in a tron. You should be able to find a happy point with the lows and highs.

3 weeks later
    #28 11 years ago

So I solved my problem, I took the Pinball Pro kit wiring out, removed the wires from the volume control and soldered them together so the backbox speakers are in parallel straight off the amp. Then I cut the sub speaker wires close to the speaker, and put the volume control in there instead, again wired as a potential divider as it was on the backbox. End result - I can turn the sub down, which is what I'd wanted in the first place - sounds much better and the neighbours won't hate me as much. Easily adjusted by reaching inside the coin door as I screwed the control to the cab floor next to the sub.

Just like their kits used to be, when they were better

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

So I solved my problem, I took the Pinball Pro kit wiring out, removed the wires from the volume control and soldered them together so the backbox speakers are in parallel straight off the amp. Then I cut the sub speaker wires close to the speaker, and put the volume control in there instead, again wired as a potential divider as it was on the backbox. End result - I can turn the sub down, which is what I'd wanted in the first place - sounds much better and the neighbours won't hate me as much. Easily adjusted by reaching inside the coin door as I screwed the control to the cab floor next to the sub.
    Just like their kits used to be, when they were better

Wow. Turning subs down instead of up, pulling out awesome red led Dmd and putting in old plasmas. Next you're going to say you remove all LEDs and put in incandescents or you toss the powder coated LE legs and rails for black.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Yup, I've been having my issues with FF backbox speakers as well. Just can't seem to get a crisp and clear sound out of my TRON LE.

I have a pretty good result with Flipper Fidelity in my TRON Pro. You *do* realize that the music and effects on that title are sampled and there is noticeable distortion in them, right?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-fidelity-vs-pinball-pro-speakers?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.