You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

inside of cab.JPG
tape_1.JPG
tape_2.JPG
volume_control.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Buckman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Over the past 6 months I've put Flipper Fidelity speaker systems in all 4 of our pins, and they sure do make an amazing difference. The systems are simple to install, don't take long at all to put all three speakers in (only MM took a bit more time having to take out and then install a different speaker block for the cabinet speaker). The anti rattle tape that Michael includes also works like a charm, all 4 machines rattled a lot without the tape and don't rattle at all with it on.

This is how I'd rank the FF speaker systems in our 4 machines (when comparing from the stock system):

1) MM: I've been playing this machine since 1998 and always thought the stock speakers were not too bad. Boy oh boy I couldn't have been more wrong (well maybe they are okay but the FF system adds some much more to the sound it's nuts). Just a much more complete sound and plenty of base. If the FF system would make this much of a difference on other WPC95 machines then I'd say it's money well spent indeed. I swear the improved sound is adding like 5 million to my score each game, the kick ass sound just intensifies an already amazing machine!

2) Tron: Tron has some amazing music and sound, and the FF system just brings it out that much more. The stock speakers are like watching a black and white TV, whereas the FF speakers are like watching a colour TV. Just adds to the overall experience of playing this machine. For even more fun and enjoyment also hook up an external sub to the machine (Michael - do you sell anti rattle tape for my house, because it's shaking pretty good when the external sub is pumping!).

3) Xmen LE: Just about as good as Tron when comparing the stock speakers to the FF ones. Nice thing as well is that it tones down some of the voices (ie. Storm) and makes it much more enjoyable. You still get to hear Shittybeast in all his glory though, don't worry about losing him! So two thumbs up to the SAM board systems that I've put the speakers in.

4) LOTR: Definitely an improvement over the stock speakers, but when comparing the overall sound to the above 3 machines it's not quite on the same level. Speakers do a great job when compared to the wimpy stock speakers, but overall the LOTR comes in number 4 on the list. No idea if the Whitestar system in LOTR has any effect or not on what the overall sound you can ultimately get out of the machine? I must say though, when Gimli is throwing out the "SUUUUUPER JAAAACKPOT"s it's all aces and it's two thumbs up for the sound.

So that's my little mini review. All in all I'd definitely put the speakers in all 4 machines again in a heartbeat, they just add so much more to the overall sound and experience of the game. Michael is also a top notch guy and great to deal with. Any problems and he's there to help you out. Here is the website if you don't know:

http://www.flipperfidelity.com/

#22 11 years ago

The external powered sub is a bit better bass wise. But having it external is a deal breaker for many.

I would definitely agree with this, you do get more base if you hook up an external sub (but I'm not a fan of having it sitting underneath). I have a Klipsch RW 10d (10 inch sub, 260 watt), and it gives plenty of thump when hooked up to Tron.

With our Tron I tried 4 different setups:

1) Totally stock.
2) Totally stock with Klipsch ext sub hooked up.
3) Flipper Fidelity system.
4) Flipper Fidelity system with Klipsch ext sub hooked up.

Option 2 definitely provided more base, but I liked option 3 better than 2. The 8'' woofer in the FF system still gives lots of base, and overall I liked the quality of sound better (plus having it installed in the machine just works well, as mentioned above when the bass is thumping and the shaker is going it's pretty wild). To wake up my neighbours option 4 works great, it even gives more punch overall.

The nice thing about the FF system is the volume control knob (see picture below). When I had option 4 running I could fine tune the sound quite nicely. I could adjust the volume of the actual machine (from the coin door), I could also adjust things with the control knob to get the amount of balance I want with the system, and I could also adjust my Klipsch sub. Overall when it's dialed up right option 4 is about as good as it gets. It's like having a home theatre running on your pinball machine.

As for the tape, I put it on the top and bottom (see picture). The stuff you get from FF is cut perfectly (length and width), you just peel the backing paper away and install. Takes all of 2 minutes to put it on.

volume_control.JPGvolume_control.JPG tape_2.JPGtape_2.JPG tape_1.JPGtape_1.JPG

1 year later
#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I decide to revive this thread rather than start a new one. I just purchased an FF speaker set for my MM and am a little apprehensive about having to remove the speaker block under the factory subwoofer. Could someone who has done this chime in on how easy it comes off? I don't want to damage the bottom of my cabinet also any other installation tips would be appreciated.

It's pretty easy to remove the stock speaker block, all I did was use a chisel / puddy knife (just head on down to Home Depot and pick up a puddy knife that you'd use to put drywall mud on the wall). Just a few pops of the hammer / puddy knife and it should come right off (mine came off nice and clean). After it's off just sand off any glue residue and use a bit of white wood glue when you put the new speaker block back down (see picture below).

inside of cab.JPGinside of cab.JPG
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Was it a decent improvement in sound over the stock speaker setup?

Definitely a nice improvement in sound when comparing what was coming out of the stock speakers. Well worth the money spent!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Buckman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-fidelity-speakers-put-them-in-4-pins-the-last-6-months-a-review?tu=Buckman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.