Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yoshootme
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

thinking of adding the back box speakers for my ac/dc premium. is it worth it? (have a sub I could hook up too, not sure if I like that set up tho).

#2 5 years ago

Flipper Fidelity has the best stuff around I would definitely recommend them; you will not regret it

#3 5 years ago

Flipper Fidelity has a complete system for ACDC Premiums & LEs--it rocks:

http://flipperfidelity.com/products.php?cat=Stern Speaker Systems&itemId=112

#4 5 years ago

I have the complete FF system on my premium. Great speakers, huge difference. Highly recommend and love em! If you thought the stock sub was big, wait until you get a load of FFs!

#5 5 years ago

I'm a big fan of the kits from these guys. Did one on an AFM recently and just ordered another for my GNR.

#6 5 years ago

My buddy installed in his AC/DC and Tron, well worth the money....so awesome to play now

#7 5 years ago

Definitely improved my MET pro. Not so much loud but more balanced. The sub comes with one extra lead. One with more bass and one with less bass. Everything's wired and ready to go. takes 15 minutes. If you could build the wiring yourself I bet you can source everything for 1/3-1/2 of the money. But that's if you have the tools and skill.

Basically while it's nothing like an "OMG Home theatre type of awe" it's definitely a great although somewhat subtle improvement.

Edit: I got the basic 2 woofers and sub setup. not the Whole shebang! that's why it's subtle but you hear all of the game much better. sub isn't too overwhelming going this way.

#8 5 years ago

Black Friday sale from FF? Never seen any sales from them.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Black Friday sale from FF? Never seen any sales from them.

^ brilliant ^

Ps. Any one try the big daddy kit? Is it worth the extra $$?
http://www.flipperfidelity.com/products.php?cat=Stern%20Speaker%20Systems&itemId=217

#10 5 years ago

I have the full kit in my tron le. Sound is like night and day compared to the stock speakers

#11 5 years ago

Lord knows I've dropped plenty of $$ on FF--a Black Friday deal would be welcomed!

#12 5 years ago

They are well suited to Stern machines. Sometimes it is not worth replacing the backbox speakers as on some machines it actually sounds worse than stock - I tried some pinball pro's in a monster bash and they sounded awful. Had to return to stock.

I can recommend Flipper Fidelty as a ready made kit for a Stern though.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

have a sub I could hook up too, not sure if I like that set up tho

I think you're doing it wrong! Did you get the same sub as I have on METLE? I can swing by and help you set it up next week before you decide to drop $200 on FF speakers.

#14 5 years ago

^ yeah I paid for the wiring harness. If I was still educated like I was as a teenager on car sound (18 years ago) I would have never done this. It's just tidy and takes the nerves away if you're not familiar with that stuff. I don't mind paying for stress free convenience. Just wondering what you used and was it hard to work a crossover into it? Without worrying about stressing the machine?

#15 5 years ago

I need to get a set of these for Metallica and Tron.

#16 5 years ago

I just ordered a set for my Metallica.

#17 5 years ago

I have a set of the backbox speakers in my LTBR. I couldn't notice a difference between them and the stock ones. I moved them to my XMLE and cannot tell the difference there either. For Sterns, only the Woofer is worth upgrading.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I have a set of the backbox speakers in my LTBR. I couldn't notice a difference between them and the stock ones. I moved them to my XMLE and cannot tell the difference there either. For Sterns, only the Woofer is worth upgrading.

Hmmmm I have to disagree. In tron pro the sound is much cleaner deeper pure sound at all ranges. I actually hear sounds I did not w/ stock setup.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Hmmmm I have to disagree. In tron pro the sound is much cleaner deeper pure sound at all ranges. I actually hear sounds I did not w/ stock setup.

it is subtle to an untrained ear. also depends on the room and if it's damp (sound wise)

#20 5 years ago

Well, maybe you can tell the difference, I couldn't, but I am not an audiophile. For me, all the sound benefit came from the sub. Now, I only tested in my ACDC and XMLE because it was easy, just swapped the entire DMD/speaker panel. Not sure if there is a difference in the sound cards or programming between these two games and the older ones such as Tron and SM? At any rate, I love the sub in the Sterns and the whole shebang in WPCs.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Well, maybe you can tell the difference, I couldn't, but I am not an audiophile. For me, all the sound benefit came from the sub. Now, I only tested in my ACDC and XMLE because it was easy, just swapped the entire DMD/speaker panel. Not sure if there is a difference in the sound cards or programming between these two games and the older ones such as Tron and SM? At any rate, I love the sub in the Sterns and the whole shebang in WPCs.

It's like a sound bar. It feels the same if not just slightly better. But if you walk around the house you can really hear the audio more balanced. Yet is seems like it's a lower volume. People are used to the Dynamic home theatre difference. This will not do that, but you will hear call outs more clear. You can dial in the sound ever so slightly better and as Vtech said you hears the highs, the woofer gets the lows, but the midrange is WAY BETTER. Again, If you know your sounds and how to wire it. I'm sure some craisglist tweeters could do 100% better. But unless you understand all that and how to integrate it with pinball, I recommend at least getting their basic kit. Then after a while you just have to upgrade the tweets in the back box. CHEAP! amazon or w/e Not worth newbies or even those with a general idea of wiring and stuff (which I don't think I even have) but I'm trying to learn. to try to get better sound for the same $ or the same sound for 1/2 the price. Like I said, stress free and I did change the volume (met pro) on speech, gameplay and w/e they call the settings. tinker! you might be surprised!

#22 5 years ago

I switched all the Stern speakers in my pins to FF. Just comparing them to one another is ridiculous. The look, the size, the weight. Another league but that 12" FF sub in AC/DC is overkill hahahaha. I have the pinvol kits in all my pins too and had to really ajust the sound of the bass. At one point while activating Album multiball I though the glass was about to explose into pieces. Really had to tighten the screws on my cannon too and double check a few connectors. Balls were not moving according to bass but.......just so close.

Really awesome

Now really thinking about having external Polk subs on my pins. Tried once my 15" home theater sub on my Avengers hahaha Hulk is insane and me even more. Quality sound is so important in a game, even more on a music theme pin. Wish they would sell LE with digital surround sound. That would worth $3000 more to me. Not just for a low number certificate, few toys, powder coating and a mirror backglass. Not a hater, just the way I feel.

#23 5 years ago

I honestly think it's a huge difference w/ the FF set up. It makes a difference w/ any game I have heard/put them in. Im no audio snob or anything just like clean clear good sound. Not sure how a person could not tell the difference....

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

I honestly think it's a huge difference w/ the FF set up. It makes a difference w/ any game I have heard/put them in. Im no audio snob or anything just like clean clear good sound. Not sure how a person could not tell the difference....

You could not have said it any better. Any one will see a huge difference. Gives extra punch to every sound.

#25 5 years ago

I have a set of NIB flipper fidelity back box speakers for Stern available if anyone's interested. PM for details.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I have a set of NIB flipper fidelity back box speakers for Stern available if anyone's interested. PM for details.

Perfect timing

#27 5 years ago

Michael has a great grasp on the whole picture as he is in the high end audio business.

It is much easier to buy the kit and put it in vs reinventing the wheel.

His speaker systems for sure make more of a difference in Williams stuff but I put the complete systems in everything. The ability to dial it in to your own taste is a plus.

I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks to support a guy who really supports the hobby.

Michael is an excellent vendor. For that reason I think he is busier than he ever thought he would be!

David

#28 5 years ago

This is a great Layman's way of saying Don't mess with this unless you understand the basics. That's why I bought the kit.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

pm sent and sold.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Are you talking about the entire setup or just the backbox speakers alone? Of course the sub makes a difference. How many of you have actually only installed just the backbox speakers to compare? I doubt very many of you have. How many have only installed the backbox speakers in ACDC? I bet fewer still.
Also the game's system makes a difference too. The OP asked specifically about backbox speakers in ACDC. Talking about how the entire kit sounds in any other system is like comparing apples to cucumbers.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Are you talking about the entire setup or just the backbox speakers alone? Of course the sub makes a difference. How many of you have actually only installed just the backbox speakers to compare? I doubt very many of you have. How many have only installed the backbox speakers in ACDC? I bet fewer still.
Also the game's system makes a difference too. The OP asked specifically about backbox speakers in ACDC. Talking about how the entire kit sounds in any other system is like comparing apples to cucumbers.

Either/both.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

yes, I was just asking about the back box speakers. I have a sub from my home theatre system I was thinking of using as well (with ryn's help! lol)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside