Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello again, hope everyone is doing great.

Just a quick question or two.....

What should the EOS flipper gap be for Taxi and Funhouse? I'm getting ready to upgrade/replace my Taxi flippers to the Fliptronic style and everything I found (Vid's amazing guide, other posts and videos) states the gap should be 1/8 inches (or .125 in.) unless the manual states otherwise. In both the Taxi and Funhouse manual it has .062 inches (1/16) and I just wanted to make sure I do this right as this is my first flipper rebuild and I don't want to burn these new coils. I also didn't know if by upgrading to Fliptronic if that supersedes the manual requirements as other posts I've seen about Taxi had 1/8 in. mentioned for the EOS gap.

Also, how does everyone measure this gap or do you just eyeball it? I think I read somewhere that a nickel's thickness is about 1/16th of an inch but figured I'd ask since this seems to be a pretty important measurement (too much then weak flipper, too little then too strong).

Below pics are from the Taxi and FH manuals:

Taxi Manual:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Funhouse Manual:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I asked Vid this very question one time. Here was the conversation.

Me- Vid, you always say that an EOS switch needs to be set to have 1/8" gap. That is .125". My system 11 manuals say to shoot for .062 which would be right at 1/`16". I know you have tons of experience with this stuff, so did you find it works better at 1/8" then the recommended 1/16"?

Vid- "The 1/8 works good for most games, the sys11 you can indeed go 1/16."

I have read that a very slight amount of additional flipper strength can be had by going with the 1/16" on the system 11's

#3 8 years ago

IMO either will work fine, as long as it is opening.

Fliptronics is completely different though. EOS there is Normally Open. I don't see how you could easily convert direct high-power flippers to Fliptronics...

#4 8 years ago

Oh and I personally like to use a feeler gauge for the gap. When finished, clean the gap with a little alcohol on a Q-tip

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I don't see how you could easily convert direct high-power flippers to Fliptronics..

All you are really converting is, loosing the conical spring and going with the extension spring and spring tab.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

All you are really converting is, loosing the conical spring and going with the extension spring and spring tab.

Oh, just converting the mech. I getcha.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks everyone and apologies for the confusion about stating Fliptronics...didn't realize that meant changing from Closed to Open.

All I was going to do is update them away from the conical spring and use the extension spring and spring tab as dozer1 mentioned. After reading almost all of Vid's guide, I guess I started going cross eyed.

What feeler gauge are you referring to, the one used between the flipper bat and the bushing or in my case a credit card? If so, that seems a bit smaller compared to the thickness of a nickel? I know I am probably overthinking it but my OCD gets the best of me and just figured if I could just use something to measure it, like a nickel, that would make it easier and take the guess work out.

I really appreciate all the help.

#8 8 years ago

Really anything that is the right thickness and fits in there would work. One of my own tricks is use unburred, new little drill bits for feeler gauges. (WELL CLEANED, NOT OILY) If a 1/16" bit fits easily in the gap, but the next increment up don't (5/64") you got a 1/16" gap. If you want an 1/8" gap, use an 1/8" bit. Again make sure they are not burred up from being chucked in a drill. Feeler gauges should be available at any auto parts store.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Really anything that is the right thickness and fits in there would work. One of my own tricks is use unburred, new little drill bits for feeler gauges. (WELL CLEANED, NOT OILY) If a 1/16" bit fits easily in the gap, but the next increment up don't (5/64") you got a 1/16" gap. If you want an 1/8" gap, use an 1/8" bit. Again make sure they are not burred up from being chucked in a drill. Feeler gauges should be available at any auto parts store.

Gotcha and thanks for the tips.

Quoted from terryb:

amazon.com link »

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-eos-gap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.