• Latest reply 4 years ago by wiredworm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-11-04 22.03.14 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi,

I'm finishing up a full rebuild of my Rocky & Bullwinkle and just ironing out the last few issues.

The big problem I now have is that if I hold one of the flippers and manage to make a loop shot then typically when the ball bounces back down to the flipper it causes it to drop. It's almost as if there is something wrong with the hold voltage.

The issue appears to affect both flippers, but it's more noticable on the right simply because it's easier to hit the left loop shot so it happens more regularly.

So far as i'm aware Rocky & Bullwinkle doesn't use EOS switches and both flippers on mine have had full rebuilds.

Can anyone please give me some pointers on what I should be checking to address the issue? I seem to also recall that i've fitted new fuse holders on the flipper board (I say recall as this build has been ongoing for about 3 years).

Any suggestions gratefully received

Pete

#2 4 years ago

What flipper board does it have in it?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Hi,
I'm finishing up a full rebuild of my Rocky & Bullwinkle and just ironing out the last few issues.
The big problem I now have is that if I hold one of the flippers and manage to make a loop shot then typically when the ball bounces back down to the flipper it causes it to drop. It's almost as if there is something wrong with the hold voltage.
The issue appears to affect both flippers, but it's more noticable on the right simply because it's easier to hit the left loop shot so it happens more regularly.
So far as i'm aware Rocky & Bullwinkle doesn't use EOS switches and both flippers on mine have had full rebuilds.
Can anyone please give me some pointers on what I should be checking to address the issue? I seem to also recall that i've fitted new fuse holders on the flipper board (I say recall as this build has been ongoing for about 3 years).
Any suggestions gratefully received
Pete

I’ve had this issue in my Data East games before. I’ve found it comes from the Power Supply requiring a rebuild. The flippers get powered directly from the PS that goes through the flipper board. If the flipper board has good fuse holders then it’s the PS that probably has issues somewhere holding the voltage.

#4 4 years ago

If there's no eos than to some extent i think this is normal. The whole point of the eos is to prevent it.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

What flipper board does it have in it?

Not at home so dug through my pictures. It's a TY-FFASI-2006 - part number 520-5033-00.

The picture below is from when I replaced the fuse holders I think.

2015-11-04 22.03.14 (resized).jpg2015-11-04 22.03.14 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Sorry for the n00b question but should the voltage on the coil be AC or DC? Bit confused because the schematic for the flipper board shows the 50v as DV and the 9v as AC.

Does that mean I should see 9V AC on the coil plug when its holding?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Voltage at the flipper coil when holding is about 3v. Think that's low right?
Where to check next? Output at the flipper board is more or less the same. Guess I should find the input used on the board and verify that and work back to the PSU?

Hold should be 9 volts and kick should be 50 volts, IIRC.

RM

#8 4 years ago

Now sure how I can measure the 50v as it only stays on very briefly. Any ideas Russ om how to troubleshoot this dropping flipper issue please?

If I set my meter to DC and put it on the lug with the blue and yellow wire on the right flipper coil I get 6.5v when the flipper is held. Is that a little low?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,900 (OBO)
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-drop-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.