• Latest reply 12 months ago by Flipsteen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper Drag Bank-A-Ball (resized).jpg

#1 12 months ago

Appreciate any suggestions for repairing the playfield caused by flipper drag. Otherwise the pf is in very nice condition.

I have since ordered new bushings and new flipper shoes and shafts.

Flipper Drag Bank-A-Ball (resized).jpgFlipper Drag Bank-A-Ball (resized).jpg
#2 12 months ago

This post should get you started: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/16#post-1667109

The short answer is no repair is going to look great. I think the best “easy” option will be sand lightly and try to find a finish that is a close color match to the existing finish.

If you’re planning on fixing the paint damage you’re headed down a huge rabbit hole. Read as many of the key posts in that thread as you can and solicit opinions there would be my advice.

#3 12 months ago

I have read Vid's guide a few times and keep picking up on new things. NOTE his hints that Shellac "deserves a spot in your toolbox"

I've been thinking about the same as I have an EM with drag that my bothers me. I do not see much discussion in repairing this area which is probably our first hint. Wood stain/shellac spot repairs are almost always noticeable. With cracked or flaking varnish the best option is to remove the old and redo.

My plan: IF/WHEN I decide to do a playfield restoration I will first try to sand and feather new stain to match. If that is ugly I will sand and re-stain the entire area. I am leaning heavily towards "if"

I guess it boils down to what you want out of the game OR how much you expect to recoup your cost if/when you sell it.

#4 12 months ago

Also depends on how much wear there is. If you are still in the top veneer layer can probably lightly sand and lacquer it.

That wear doesn't look too bad.

You can always test your technique on a hidden spot under the apron.

#5 12 months ago

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Quoted from MrVern:

NOTE his hints that Shellac "deserves a spot in your toolbox"

I have read some more posts about using shellac and leaning towards that.

Whatever I do, this is the first step:

Quoted from dr_nybble:

You can always test your technique on a hidden spot under the apron.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-drag-repair?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.