Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Any feedback on upgrading flipper mechs to newer versions? e.g., replace System 3-7 flipper with WPC style mechanicals. I'm looking at both my BK and the bad wizard! once it starts going back together.

I can't imagine upgrading either to, say, modern Stern flipper power...but think going to the next generation from what they have would give a nice boost to flippers of both the machines.

#2 12 years ago

If you rebuild the original flippers you shouldn't have any reasons to change to a whole different mech altogether. The only games I can think of that need this are the older Ballys with the linear flipper mechs.

#3 12 years ago

Also, be sure that the coils that are in your game are the CORRECT coils for the game.

I'm restoring a Williams table right now that had the 11630 medium strength flipper coils installed, but is supposed to have the high power 11629 coils.

My best guess is that someone got lazy and at some point replaced a bad coil with whatever they had on hand, or put in a weaker coil to make the playfield plastics last longer.

#4 12 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of stepping things up just a notch. For example, some early Bally use the same coil body as newer Gottlieb. As such, I could supposedly drop in a somewhat stronger Gottlieb a5141 coil for the wizard!. I might go as far as swapping out the entire flipper mechs as I'm assuming the newer Gottlieb would be better than the mid-70s Bally mechs.

Might look at a similar thing for the BK (system 7 to WPC)

#5 12 years ago

Did just that, was a pretty big improvement over the worn out and beat to hell flippers that were originally in there.

http://www.siegecraft.us/blackknight6.htm

Not a tremendous difference though between upgrading with WPC components and rebuiling with all-new System 7 style components, you still need to keep the same EOS switch in there and you need to keep the same as original coils too. So performance is pretty much the same between the two designs when everything is brand new.

However, they will have better longevity with the different style return spring, better material in the plunger link, and a replaceable coil stop. I wouldn't go with higher power coils on Black Knight either. If you can make the left ramp, then you don't need much power. All the other shots are pretty short, you just don't need much power for them.

-Hans

#6 12 years ago

Saw (and bookmarked) your site when I first start looking - nice job.

For my BK its more a matter of incline rather than wear. The mechs on this one are in rather good shape. As I've increased the incline to get some more speed, it then becomes increasingly difficult to complete the left ramp - understanding its not supposed to be easy when inclined more "standard".

#7 12 years ago

I gotcha. In your case, a bit more strength coming out of the primary wrap in the coil may be in order. You can either replace with a stronger coil, but it's also a possibility to take a few turns of the wire out of it as well. Never done it on a dual-wind coil, so can't really help much in that regard.

That reminds me, I may want to steepen mine a bit too. I get too many turnaround shots going straight into the left outlane, too fast for the magnet to catch.

-Hans

#8 12 years ago

ha!...mine are just the opposite, going the loop backward and SDTM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-component-upgrades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.