(Topic ID: 237175)

Flipper coils and power supply

By Frogger1108

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

For one of my projects I thought about powering early SS coils with a switching power supply. I read numerous pages which stated, that at 48V 10A is more than enough "power" for all kinds of coils. However, when checking the coils resistance it comes to 3.2 ohm which translates to 577 watts! on the initial draw of the flipper. Since the power supply only supplies 480 watts, is this ever going to work? In addition, won't the initial high draw not shutdown the power supply?

I'd be thankful for feedback if somebody already tried this before spending the money and realising it doesn't work.

#2 5 years ago

With switching power supplies you need a big capacitor to help out. Are you sure that coil is a 48V coil? Most 48V coils are 4+ ohms. Even then though, it'll only be drawing that much for maybe 50ms. As long as your transistor can handle it the capacitor should tide it over

#3 5 years ago

Pinball solenoids draw a lot of power but it's supposed to be momentary, which is why it's a big issue when a coil locks on. So since at a minimum with 48V and 4 ohms the solenoid is gonna draw 12A, your power supply can't power it straight up. However, Zacaj is right, the solution is to use a capacitor that can power the solenoid instead. So using a couple formulas from here https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/capacitor-formulae.html , the minimum capacitor size you're gonna need to provide 12A for 50ms is around 1300uF, but realistically you'll want to go larger, probably around 3-5000uF. The basic circuit should look something like this http://tinyurl.com/y6o25don

#4 5 years ago

I'd just throw a 15000uF on there and be done with it. Never know if two coils might be firing at once or anything

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd just throw a 15000uF on there and be done with it. Never know if two coils might be firing at once or anything

Yea always better to have too big of a capacitor with something like this.

#6 5 years ago

Thank you all, that's some really usefull information. I will read up on the wiring of the capacitors and start some testing once everything is ready.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coils-and-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.