• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-01-17_12.35.48_(resized).jpg
2016-01-17_12.36.13_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Game is IJ93. I've got 11629 on the right and 15411 on the left and both are too strong, the right one more so than the left. What are acceptable weaker coils to use? I've read that 11630 for the right might be better. The balls are flying off the ramps. I just got the game a week ago and previous owner said he had rebuilt the flippers.

Based on the manual I have, 11629 appears to be stock.

#2 8 years ago

FL-11753 (yellow) Weakest
FL-11722 (green)
FL-11630 (red)
FL-15411 (orange)
FL-11629 (blue) Strongest

LTG : )

#3 8 years ago

Williams knew the games wouldn't be maintained, so stronger coils were used.

You keep the game clean, waxed, new balls. You can go weaker. Make shots. And not break stuff.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks Lloyd, seems like I should try 11630 in both flippers.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Williams knew the games wouldn't be maintained, so stronger coils were used.
You keep the game clean, waxed, new balls. You can go weaker. Make shots. And not break stuff.

Sounds right, My STTNG had 11692s in it when I got it; When I rebuilt the machine I put in the original 17636 that the manual called for but they seem to be too strong (air balls off every target). I may drop down to 11630 for the main flippers and keep the 17636 in delta ramp flipper.

#6 8 years ago

I posted on RGP, but thought i'd keep this topic going here too in case someone isn't on or checking RGB.

My game was set at 5 degrees so I changed it to 7 degrees pitch. Helped a little, but not nearly enough.

I tested resistance on the coils and checked them against this chart https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

Not sure which combo of lugs i should use, but I measured the orange wire (first lug to the second lug and then first lug to the third lug.)

for FL11629 I get readings of 139 (first to second lug) and 143 (first to third lug). Charts suggests it should be closer to 133. bad coil or diode(s)?

for fl15411, I am getting 137 and 142 compared to 150 suggested in the chart.

not sure what to look at next, if I've measured correctly or how to interpret what I'm seeing.

thanks for the help.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

bad coil or diode(s)?

You don't have bad diodes or coils. If you did you'd be blowing stuff up. Transistors for a start.

You are taking better care of your machine than the manufacturer thought would happen. Go to a weaker coil if you like.

LTG : )™

#8 8 years ago

ok, ordered two 11630 coils, medium strength. Will see if this improves things. Thx

#9 8 years ago

Update: replaced the coils, much better. I'm still getting balls flying off the left ramp at times, but it's a lot better overall. Maybe that right flipper needs to be even weaker, or I need to figure out how to keep the ball on the left ramp.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

I installed 11630 flipper coils about 4 years ago in my game. With the rear legs at maximum and the front legs at minimum, I only get a left ramp fly off every once in a while after a fresh wax (although I might have a little slop in the flipper linkages at this point). Overall I think they are the best strength coil for the game. I also used Stern red tapered posts instead of black ones mid way up near the ramp entrances, etc. to prevent air balls. This games really needs some fine tuning to make it a solid experience. Particularly if the mode start hole is worn.

#11 8 years ago

I wound up bending the left ramp a bit along the side walls and no more airballs off the ramp. With the 630 coils, the shot up the poa ramp can be tough sometimes, but I like it that way...shots shouldn't always be so easy and you have to work to make the shot. I could always put the 411 back on the left flipper.

No issues with mode shot, hit it cleanly and it stays in, shouldn't always be a slam dunk. Such a great game.

2016-01-17_12.36.13_(resized).jpg2016-01-17_12.36.13_(resized).jpg

2016-01-17_12.35.48_(resized).jpg2016-01-17_12.35.48_(resized).jpg

2 years later
#12 5 years ago

Having same issue with right flipper being too strong. Shots up left ramp with right flipper fly off by the plane 4/5 times. I ordered a pair of FL-11630 but not sure if I should replace both flippers or only the right one? My left flipper seems fine strength wise but not sure if it will feel weird to play a game with two different flipper strengths?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from sprite:

but not sure if I should replace both flippers or only the right one?

I'd do both. Your single drop target in the back will live longer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coil-strength-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.