Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ralph67
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My Pink Panther has three flippers. Left, Lower Right and Top right.
When I check resistance this is what I get:
Left flipper: 4.6 and 0 if I reverse the leads on my DMM.
Right Lower: 1.5 with the DDM leads in either direction.
Right Upper: 1.7 with the DDM leads in either direction.

Is the left flipper OK?
I cut one of the legs of the diode on Right Upper flipper and it had no effect on the readings.

Does this mean that both Right flipper coils are toast?
Are the other suspects at this point that I should be looking at?

Thanks for all the help!

#2 5 years ago

People usually don't take a working game, cut diodes and test with meter and question the values. Perhaps you should back up and describe the actual problem that lead to these tests. Flipper coils won't be working normally and at the same time be "toast".

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

People usually don't take a working game, cut diodes and test with meter and question the values. Perhaps you should back up and describe the actual problem that lead to these tests. Flipper coils won't be working normally and at the same time be "toast".

Backstory. This is my first pin. I went to buy a Galaxian from a guy who is an extreme hoarder and found this game in the back of his garage. It has never worked while I've had it. I did some online reading and several sources said to check coil resistance first, which I did with the results posted above. One kicker coil was completely fried so I replaced that. Other than the flippers the rest of the coils looked pretty good.
The play field glass had been smashed so I spent a good deal of time removing glass shards.

If I start the game The lights come on for the top half of the play field, not the bottom.
If I throw a quarter in it it registers a credit, makes sounds and acts like it's going to work, but I never get flippers and nothing registers points on the score board.

That's about where I'm at. If there are other details that would help please let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Yeastlord:

When I check resistance this is what I get:

Did you insert a piece of paper in between the contacts of the EOS switch?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you insert a piece of paper in between the contacts of the EOS switch?

I didn't think of that. I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks for the tip!

#6 5 years ago

Not sure which coil you have in that game , but a A-17875 flipper coil, resistance measures (2.4/40) 2.4 ohms pull in and 40 ohms on the Hold, anything less than 1 ohm on any coil means its usually toasted .
Measuring ohms you can have the leads either way around. wont matter.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Loris, SC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!