• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tscottn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey there..

I noticed the other day that my left flipper would get stuck at the top of the stroke every now and then on my Sky Jump, and then it happened more frequently and now it happens every time the flipper is flipped!! .. I also noticed that It makes a very loud buzzing sound when actuated, especially compared to my right flipper which is relatively quiet, even when held at the top of the stroke..

Upon inspection I can get the plunger to stop sticking at the top by loosening the mount a little so the coil is not so tightly held in.. (I can also just wiggle the coil and the plunger will come down).. if i loosen just one of the nuts on the mount, it will not stick.. but once I tighten all of them.. Bam!, stick city.. I also am noticing that the coil is getting a bit hotter the touch than the right coil is.. this goes along with the load buzzing sound as well..

I checked the EOS switch and the connections and all seem to check out.. I also cleaned the EOS switch as well.. I can see the EOS contact open without any issues at the top of the stroke.. It seems to me like the low power is not activating at the top of the the stroke for some reason.. Also, these are orange dot coils that are fairly new.. Probably less than 1000 games with them installed..

So my question is, could the coil be bad or shorted? Also, anyone have any other suggestions on what to check, im all ears ( or eyes) ..

thanks

#2 4 years ago

Go ahead and check the resistance of both windings. You'll have to open the EOS switch to check the hold side.

The sticking plunger could be an alignment issue or the coil got real hot and the sleeve is deformed and is holding the plunger. A flipper coil with no hold side working will get hot quickly.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Go ahead and check the resistance of both windings. You'll have to open the EOS switch to check the hold side.
The sticking plunger could be an alignment issue or the coil got real hot and the sleeve is deformed and is holding the plunger. A flipper coil with no hold side working will get hot quickly.

Thanks.. Just checked both.. The both seems to run at about 8.7~ 8.8 when i open the EOS switch.. does that seem correct to you?

#4 4 years ago

also I should mention that I changed the sleeve and still same issue. Also, the plunger never sticks if I physically push the plunger in with my hand.. its only when i actually apply power.. Once it sticks I can pull the plunger back up with just a little effort with my hand.. it seems like the coil is not releasing power completely because when i reset the plunger with my hand i can feel (what seems to be) a little magnetic power holding the plunger in..

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

also I should mention that I changed the sleeve and still same issue. Also, the plunger never sticks if I physically push the plunger in with my hand.. its only when i actually apply power.. Once it sticks I can pull the plunger back up with just a little effort with my hand.. it seems like the coil is not releasing power completely because when i reset the plunger with my hand i can feel (what seems to be) a little magnetic power holding the plunger in..

No. The power side should be down around 2 ohms. Are you sure you have them wired correctly? Solenoid power goes to the high power side. Center tap power from the flipper button to the hold side and the EOS goes from the center lug and the hold side to the EOS. But still that power side reading is not right.

Try switching out the coil stops and see if that changes anything.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Clean the end of the plunger and the coil stop. I've occasionally seen sticky dirt hold the plunger touching its coil stop in the way you describe.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I had this problem with my Aquarius. This ^^^^^^ took care of the problem.

E

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

No. The power side should be down around 2 ohms. Are you sure you have them wired correctly? Solenoid power goes to the high power side. Center tap power from the flipper button to the hold side and the EOS goes from the center lug and the hold side to the EOS. But still that power side reading is not right.

what I meant to say was 2.3 on the power side and around 8.5 on the low side for both the right and left coils

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Clean the end of the plunger and the coil stop. I've occasionally seen sticky dirt hold the plunger touching its coil stop in the way you describe.

well I actually swapped coil stops with another one I had and cleaned it but i will try cleaning it again and the plunger as well..

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I had this problem with my Aquarius. This ^^^^^^ took care of the problem.
E

I actually switched coil stops with one that came out of another machine I had but maybe I should get a few new stops as maybe the other stop is not good either

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

what I meant to say was 2.3 on the power side and around 8.5 on the low side for both the right and left coils

Those numbers are fine.

Still think this is an alignment or stop issue.

#12 4 years ago

thanks for the input, I changed out the coil stop with a different one and my problem has gone away. The loud buzzing sound im not sure why all of a sudden but with much figitting with how the coil is mounted, in the end if I do not ratchet down the screws that hold the upper and lower L mount to the coil bracket the buzzing seems to have quieted down considerably.. So I guess I just wont tighten those screws too much and see if it stays quiet.. Thanks..

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

thanks for the input, I changed out the coil stop with a different one and my problem has gone away. The loud buzzing sound im not sure why all of a sudden but with much figitting with how the coil is mounted, in the end if I do not ratchet down the screws that hold the upper and lower L mount to the coil bracket the buzzing seems to have quieted down considerably.. So I guess I just wont tighten those screws too much and see if it stays quiet.. Thanks..

I think tightening it down a bunch is changing the alignment just enough to cause you problems. The stop also might have be magnetized a bit. I've seen that before with armature plates. It's not overly common but it does happen.

Glad it's solved in any case.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I think tightening it down a bunch is changing the alignment just enough to cause you problems. The stop also might have be magnetized a bit. I've seen that before with armature plates. It's not overly common but it does happen.
Glad it's solved in any case.

had the same problem with a armature plate being magnetized on my 100 pt score reel relay. drove me crazy till it was figured out.. I did run the stop through my Demagnetizer before I installed it. Also ran the plunger through it as well. Im guessing that was the issue with the sticking as it felt like it was just a little bit magnetized just enough to hold it at the top. I run a very light return spring so any resistance will keep it up there..

yes for sure the alignment is off a bit, just not sure why or how, but keeping the screws just on the snug side but not tight seems to resolve it for now.. so there it is.. thanks for the help..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coil-question-issue?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.