(Topic ID: 175835)

Flipper coil orientation.... What's right?

By Chum43

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Chum43
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    #1 7 years ago

Recently rebuilding flippers on a 1970 Baseball and have a question.
    I ve replaced coil stops, sleeves and EOS switches etc before but never really questioned the orientation of the coil. I always just put it back like it was.

I recently read Vid's notes on rebuilding flippers and he is fairly adamant about mounting coil with solder tabs on opposite end of coil stop. Reason being that constant impact can and will cause faults on tab end.

Not really questioning this logic, but all three of my 70's Gottlieb EMs are the same being tabs on coil stop end. Maybe his info is directed at newer stuff?
    Is this an issue I should correct?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Maybe we learned to do things better than what was done in the 1970's.

Study what we cleaned games with back then.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Turn em around when you can, but sometimes the wires just don't reach...

#4 7 years ago

i tend to turn them around. but to be frank, on a Gottlieb running at 28 volts AC, it's really not an issue. Higher DC voltage where the flippers are stronger i can see doing it. but on a Gottlieb EM, the benefit is nearly null. so do what works given the wire lengths and your comfort level.

#5 7 years ago

I think as a rule if it is home use, you can leave the flipper coil in the "traditional manufactured position" The coils were flipped in 1986-1987 after it was found out by
    the street operators of the game High Speed that the diodes were busting from the coil tabs and causing erratic game operation and errors.
    Wiliams industries would flip the coil and make new front coil brackets with a notch on the
    top bracket to fit their flipper coils. 2nd generation front coil brackets would have two more notches add one on the lift and one on the right of the bracket.
    High Speed would have a service bulletin that asked the operator to flip the flipper coil
    by first cutting the coil key tab and installing said coil in "new" position.

#6 7 years ago

At the Bally classes, they told us techs to reverse the flipper coils whenever you serviced them; even on older games.

If the wires are too short, cut a nylon zip tie with your diags to give you more slack.

Re-ziptie if you need to when done.

#7 7 years ago

Great info guys. Playfield is upside down on the bench so just Ill flip them around ...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coil-orientation-whats-right and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.