IMG_3765.JPG
left flipperIMG_3754.JPG
right flipper Render-3.jpg
continuity IMG_3758.JPG
flipper fuses IMG_3752.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi pin friends.

Did a flipper rebuild and upgrade on a taxi.
Long and short of it is, I soldered the wires back on the new updated coils backwards.
Guess I blew the coils, as they did not work.

So I install the old coils again to make sure that the new ones were toast, and still not working.

So I check the fuses in the backbox, and find that f6 J12 fuse had blown.

IMG_3749.JPGIMG_3749.JPG

Put in the new fuse and almost, .....
Only the left flipper is working.

Re-solder the wires again on the right coil, just to make sure a good connection was made. Still not firing.
Triple check that the wires were back to the proper posts, and all is correct.
Same as the picture that I took before I started the job.

Is there another fuse for the right side?

Am I missing something here?

Getting tired so Im heading to bed now, and will hopefully have better luck with a fresh start tomorrow.

Still very new at this, so hoping for a bit of guidance please.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

#2 9 years ago

1) Always check your fuses with fuses out. You can't tell just from looking. 2) You most likely didn't blow the new coil unless it locked on and melted and you would know by the smoke and probably would have blown a TIP on the board. Coils typically are either good or bad meaning they work or they are melted or the coil winding's leading to the lugs are broken. 3) If the old ones were working you probably didn't need to change em. 4) Both of the coils when looking at them with PF up should have the wire with the Yellow strip on Inside lug. (So the Yellow banded wire on the left flipper when looking at it with PF up would be on the interior and same with the right the Yellow banded wire would be on the inter lug. 5) Can you show photos of your coils with PF up. 6) Did you use multi meter to test fuses? I thought each flipper coil had its own Fuse. Check all your fuses on that row. Just to be safe. Also did you solder the EOS switches on correctly. Photos would help.

#3 9 years ago

Thks

I'll check all those fuses out, with my meter.

Also noticed the diagnostics red light is flashing fast on the board in the back.

Report back shortly.

#4 9 years ago

that is fine with the light flashing. when you start it up the bottom and top light both come on then the top light goes out and the middle light flashes once game boots. Is that what is happening? Also can you grab 2 quick photos of your flippers and connections for us to review to double check you have them right. Remember there are 2 diodes on each flipper. The "power" wire connects on the outside lug/non-banded side of the diode. You should read VID's guide to flipper repair, if you are new, its really helpful to understanding what you are doing.

#6 9 years ago

Thks for the help so far.

I read vids guide before undertaking, but still managed to make a mistake.

The original coils were flipped with the diodes against the coil stop.
I wanted to upgrade to the new parallel coils, so thats the reason for the change of coils.

When I installed new coils I now installed the correct way, diodes away from the coil stop, so now they were flipped, and thats where I messed up. Soldered on the wrong posts.

I have re read to guide and understand it all now. Wish I didn't rush it before.

I have removed every fuse in the backbox, checked continuity, and installed again. All good.

flipper fuses IMG_3752.JPGflipper fuses IMG_3752.JPG

Found this in the back box. F5 is the fuse for the right flipper. Checked and works.

Also checked continuity from the 50v power wire on the coil to the plug in the back box, and it checks good.

continuity IMG_3758.JPGcontinuity IMG_3758.JPG

Here are pics of the right flipper coil that is not firing. This the original coil back installed. It was firing great before I installed the new updated coil.

Now it won't fire

right flipper Render-3.jpgright flipper Render-3.jpg

This is the left coil that fires great.

left flipperIMG_3754.JPGleft flipperIMG_3754.JPG

Here is a video of the diagnostics flashing led light in the back box.

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff

#7 9 years ago

Have done some more tests.
I have no power at the coil, as per the tests http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html#trans3

Have also grounded transistor Q8 as per instructions to activate relay, and it engages, but still no power to the coil.

The only way I get power to the coil, is a jumper from the left coil, and now the right works perfectly.

And I have continuity from the power wire under the play field all the way to the end at plug where it plugs into the backbox.

??

#8 9 years ago

Ok thanks for the info. Ill look at this and let you know what I think.

#9 9 years ago

Also looked over the circuit board where the flipper fuses are,

IMG_3765.JPGIMG_3765.JPG

and where the power wire plugs into the circuit board from under the play field

IMG_3768.JPGIMG_3768.JPG

Closely looked over the front and back of the boards, all looks good.

#10 9 years ago

I would first start at the F5 fuse. Are you getting +50v to that? Place red lead on left side of the Fuse and the black lead on the ground strap in the back box.

#11 9 years ago

Yes, I'm getting 82. Looks promising.

#12 9 years ago

There is not much between that fuse and the coil. Test the Right coil again. Place Red lead on the Blue/Yellow wire and then black on Ground at base of interior/cabinet. Try Pressing the right flipper button while testing as well.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from simcoeice:

Yes, I'm getting 82. Looks promising.

did you test both sides of the fuse. I said the left just curious and not sure if you tested both

#14 9 years ago

Yes, both sides of the the fuse, 81.

#15 9 years ago

Okay next place to check is Connector 5J12 Pin 4 make sure that power is getting from fuse to Connector. If you truly aren't getting it to the coil we need to start at fuse and work our way to the coil. Its unlikely but you could have a cold solder joint at Pin 4. From this pin that Blue/Yellow wire runs all the way to the flipper.

#16 9 years ago

No power to pin 4.

#17 9 years ago

If you can try wiggling the connector and see if power comes on and off. Be very careful you dont want your lead to slip off and touch another pin. Not much between fuse and that pin. Sounds like you have a broken solder joint at that connector or a broken trace from the fuse to that pin

#18 9 years ago

sorry, yes power to pin 4.

#19 9 years ago

Ok, so By disconnecting the plugs multiple times, the power kepy increasing marginally until now i have full power to the coil, 81 !!!!!

Awesome, thanks for helping me walk thru this kporter!
I have learned some much running thru these tests, and tracing the wires.

Have learned alot going thru the wiring diagrams as well. This is my first time really with electronics.

I pass by Edinburg every year on route to FLA, I owe you a few beers.

Cheers.
Thanks again for all the pointers.

Jeff

#20 9 years ago

Ok well that 50v wire runs all the way to that lug so either the wire broke (not likely) or your not testing that lug correctly. Use ground strap not side.

#21 9 years ago

Awesome yeah look me up stop over for some Pins and beer on your way through!!

#22 9 years ago

Wai we aren't done. Lets get those new coils on!!

#23 9 years ago

Ok, I'll put them in tonight, the proper way though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coil-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.