Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Sabre68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just purchased a Batman Forever and tried my best to "shop" it out. I stripped the playfield and added all new LEDs and rubbers. My hat goes off to all you pinheads out there that do this with your eyes closed because I'm a complete newbie to this amazing hobby and found it very tedious, borderline difficult. So I then cleaned and waxed the playfield and put everything back together. Game was amazingly beautiful with the Cointaker LED kit and that darn Silver ball was bouncing all over the place with the new rubber kit.(most of the rubbers hadn't been replaced and were hard like plastic.) But, I noticed the right flipper wasn't strong enough to make the ramp shots. Again, turning to this site I learned that maybe replacing the flipper coil with a LOTR special coil would solve the problem. So I did. And like many others, I may have wired it backwards because it didn't work. I checked the fuse...yes it was blown...I checked the diode...it too was wasted. So I flipped the wires, replaced the fuse and put in a new diode. Turned the machine on and as it was going through boot up, the right flipper shot up, and then went down and wouldn't work again. Another blown fuse, but, the diode seemed to be okay. I tried looking at the manual but couldn't make sense of it.(Sorry, complete newbie here armed with a MM and a retired electrical engineer father as my right hand man) I've read that I may have also blown a Transistor...could someone please tell me where to find it, how to test it and replace it? Thanks in advance...

#2 8 years ago

I did pretty much the exact same thing on my LOTR. Replacing the transistor was the final solution. To find out which one, look up the manual on ipdb and figure out which transistor is related to that coil. You will need to order a replacement transistor then you or your EE father will need to remove/replace the bad transistor on the power driver board.

A couple of lessons learned:
1) always take pictures before desoldering anything.
2) go ahead and order the transistor when you order a replacement coil to save on shipping.

I forgot number 2 this week and just ordered a transistor this morning for my replaced Gilligan's Island coil.

For general troubleshooting tips and such, this site is extremely useful:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Solenoid.2C_Flasher.2C_and_Motor_problems

#3 8 years ago

If you wired it backwards you blew out the transistor. If you blew the transistor you may have also blown the coil which would in turn blow the transistor again if replaced.

Batman forever does not need special coils. You need to rebuild your flipper mech properly and gap the bat properly. Check vid1900's flipper rebuild guide.

#4 8 years ago

Okay thanks for all the advice. And yes, I need to take pictures for sure! I learned that after taking apart all the ramps and wire rails!!!
I guess I really need to know how to find that blown transistor? I have the manual but I'm having difficulty finding that information. Can anyone tell me where it is located? Is that a part I can get at Radio shack? Radio shack had the fuses and diodes...

#5 8 years ago

Look in the manual. It will have a coil chart that has a list of transistors for each coil. Batman forever is data east. This is probably on the flipper power board that sits in the left side inside the base cabinet underneath the playfield.

#6 8 years ago

I finally figured out which transistor was the culprit. Big thanks to Mike from Pinball Life who taught me how to test the transistors with a MM over the phone. I just did my first solder job putting the new transistor in and it worked!!! Thanks to you two for replying and helping me find a solution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coil-issue-any-advice-appreciated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.