You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

point_(resized).jpg
bastard_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello guys,

I'm about to rebuild my flippers on my Diner. I have rebuilt flippers before but have never dealt with flipper capacitors before. I do not plan to replace the coil since its in good condition. The capacitor comes as part of the rebuild kit. My question is: Do I really have to change the capacitor? Can I just leave the old one there? Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Those caps are for anti-sparking which leads to pitting which leads to failure. I would install them, *and* put a set across the flipper cabinet switches.

#4 7 years ago

Yes but can just leave the old ones there?

#5 7 years ago

You could leave them and they would be fine but may as well replace while you are rebuilding considering you already will have new ones in hand, it's a 3 minute switch, And a 5 to 10 cent part..

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

You could leave them and they would be fine but may as well replace while you are rebuilding considering you already will have new ones in hand, it's a 3 minute switch, And a 5 to 10 cent part..

I wish they were that cheap, but they are not (two dollars each).

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=177

#7 7 years ago

Thanks guys! Just needed to know if it was absolutely necessary to replace them.

Last question: What would happen if you just completely remove them? Not going to do it but just want to learn. Thanks!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks guys! Just needed to know if it was absolutely necessary to replace them.
Last question: What would happen if you just completely remove them? Not going to do it but just want to learn. Thanks!

OK, the full flipper voltage goes through the EOS switch contacts AND the switch contacts under the flipper buttons on the insides of the cabinets.

These leaf switches have big fat tungsten contacts that should be as flat and clean as possible to minimize power loss and make the flippers nice and snappy.

The capacitors reduce electrical sparking when the switches make and break contact and keep the contacts clean. Otherwise the constant sparking builds up a layer of crud on the contacts.

This is why it's important for the capacitors to be there, and also why it's important when you are rebuilding the flippers to replace the EOS switches AND the cabinet switches with nice new clean switches. In my opinion.

RM

#10 7 years ago

At the very least, file and polish the contact faces to a mirror finish.

#11 7 years ago

The upper flipper EOS switch on my Meteor sparks horribly and I read that it was wise to add a cap here.
Would this one be the right one to use?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

At the very least, file and polish the contact faces to a mirror finish.

dont file, burnish.

Pretty sure filing is a bad idea.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, the full flipper voltage goes through the EOS switch contacts AND the switch contacts under the flipper buttons on the insides of the cabinets.
These leaf switches have big fat tungsten contacts that should be as flat and clean as possible to minimize power loss and make the flippers nice and snappy.
The capacitors reduce electrical sparking when the switches make and break contact and keep the contacts clean. Otherwise the constant sparking builds up a layer of crud on the contacts.
This is why it's important for the capacitors to be there, and also why it's important when you are rebuilding the flippers to replace the EOS switches AND the cabinet switches with nice new clean switches. In my opinion.
RM

Nice explanation! Thanks!!!

#14 7 years ago

I just had my EOS switch break off at the contact point and noticed the cap wasn't connected. Looks like it came apart due to age. I'm sure if it had a cap fully functioning that wouldn't have happened. Short answer, yes, replace it.

#15 7 years ago

On a related note, is there a general rule for sizing flipper caps? I have an early Bally SS pin I want to add them on (43V for coils I think) and a custom one I'm working on which is 28V DC.

#16 7 years ago

For tungsten hardface contacts, you HAVE to file them when they're pitted badly. OK they could be replaced, but I'm a CARGPB.

Burnishing is to polish by rubbing. If you mean rubbing with a file I agree. Anything else will be ineffectual as the tungsten is so hard. You will be rubbing for years.

Sometimes I have to start with a bastard file like this

bastard_(resized).jpgbastard_(resized).jpg

to get all the pitting out down to shiny metal. Then I follow up with a pair of point files like these (one rough, one fine)

point_(resized).jpgpoint_(resized).jpg

to polish the contact faces to a mirror finish.

Goldflash logic switches are different. They should never be filed until the contact wear makes the surface of the contact irregular from years of pressing together. By then they should be replaced anyway as they are at end-of-life so What does it hurt to try to file the surface smooth again? Just don't try it until you have your replacement handy in case you kill the switch completely. All you've wasted is a little time...

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

On a related note, is there a general rule for sizing flipper caps? I have an early Bally SS pin I want to add them on (43V for coils I think) and a custom one I'm working on which is 28V DC.

The 2.2 uf @ 250 volts will work for your end of stroke switches on the flipper assemblies.

Use a .1 uf @ 500 volts ceramic disc capacitor across the flipper button (cabinet) switches.

6 years later
#18 1 year ago

I was looking for some .1 uf @ 500 volts ceramic disc capacitors for the flipper switches. I don't want to pay the shipping fees from the normal pinball part vendors for a couple of capacitors. I was looking on Amazon and found a number of kits that had the .1uf capacitors but they were 50 volt, and some were 1000 volt. Can someone tell me for future reference if 50v or 1000v would be bad to use?

I finally found these on Ebay and have purchased, so I hope this helps others:

ebay.com link: itm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
PinSound

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-capacitors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.