Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RussMyers
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Just picked up my LOTR from a fellow pinside member. Great experience, machine as advertised. Love it so far. Repaired one slingshot and replaced several bulbs. Best I can tell on day one everything works but I have noticed one thing.

This is my first Stern. Parked next to my IJ and my TZ. Think I am going to like it.

Some of the time when I engage the right flipper it buzzes momentarily. Assume it's the coil. If you hold the flipper button downs it continues to buzz/hum. Sounds basically like the hum the machine makes when the magnet grabs a ball. Look like maybe replacement coils? Number 090-5020-20T. Previous owner pointed it out to me when I picked it up and it's definitely noticeable but the flipper behaves normally. The buzz occurs about 30% of the time. Don't see any loose wires on the coil and the diode looks to be well attached. Any suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

Try swapping left and right coil stops. Then replace the one that buzzes.

#3 9 years ago

My imve coils buzz all the time. Thought that was normal stern behavior. Hmm...

#4 9 years ago

The Stern flipper circuitry essentially pulses the current on/off very rapidly when the flipper is held up, and this can make the flippers buzz. All Stern games using that type of flipper control circuit buzz to a degree.

It can get much worse if parts are loose or start to get worn.

RM

#5 9 years ago

Thanks. So i assume this is a normal noise then?

#6 9 years ago

Normal to a point. If the buzzing seems loud or excessive, or if one flipper buzzes a lot more than the other, check for loose parts that need tightening or worn parts.

RM

#7 9 years ago

This really amazes me that Stern can design a flipper assembly like this that has been humming for years and they don't seem to care to modify or redesign it to try and get the hum out. Many hum a little bit but some hum pretty loud and despite the replies you will get IMO it's a spotty, trial and error fix, it's not just changing 1 part and that solves it.

#8 9 years ago

My NIB AC/DC buzzes. It is normal. Just one of the perks of owning a Stern I guess!

#9 9 years ago

Normal Stern behavior, although you will find some machines do it more than others. My Rolling Stones buzzes in a faint manner, but my Ripley's buzzes like crazy (even after a full flipper rebuild). It could be a thing where the White Star machines do it more noticeably (RBION, LOTR, etc).

#10 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure I did not need to do a repair or replacement. I guess those are the original coils? I'm not detecting any flipper fatigue. Course I'm sure my games will get longer later!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

This really amazes me that Stern can design a flipper assembly like this that has been humming for years and they don't seem to care to modify or redesign it to try and get the hum out out. Many hum a little bit but some hum pretty loud and despite the replies you will get IMO it's a spotty, trial and error fix, it's not just changing 1 part and that solves it.

It lets them use a single-wound coil and only one voltage.

That's why they do it (I assume).

RM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-buzzes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.