• Latest reply 11 months ago by sixgill
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Choices (resized).jpg
Parts (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 months ago

What would you guys do?

I'm in the final phases of restoring my EM Night Rider and am putting in new flipper buttons. The C-905 replacement I have is a bit too big to make it thru the backing plate. The original has a small, thin stalk that fits thru the backing plate fine. The parts catalog shows a drawing of C-905 that looks like the replacement one I got from Marcos, but that parts catalog is for the SS version of Night Rider. You'd think (hope) they share the same cabinet parts but apparantly that's not a good assumption.

I can't find the "thinner" one anywhere. I could try PBR but I'm looking to use a new, bright white part and not one that has yellowed (which is why I'm not bothering to clean up and use the originals). Plus which a previous operator looks to have run into the same issue as I at some point and fashioned a workable hack using a red button in the white housing.

So it looks like my choices are:
1 - widen the hole on the backing plate with a dremel and use the replacement C-905 as-is.
2 - (carefully) reduce the circumferance of the replacement C-905 stalk with a dremel until it's small enough to get thru the backing plate.
3 - cut off the replacement C-905 stalk altogether and put a small screw in it's place to mimic a previous operator's hack.
4 - find a new button that has a smaller stalk like the OEM.
5 - make (3D print) my own button with the proper dimensions.

I've struck out on #4 and #5 is a great excuse to buy a 3D printer and play around, but that's not in the budget right now. While #3 is functional and the quickest / easiest to implement, I don't like the metal screw coming into contact with the flipper leaf switch. #2 doesn't have much of a margin for error and currently I have only two new C-905's in my possession.

Any other options here? I'm leaning towards #1.

Choices (resized).jpgChoices (resized).jpgParts (resized).jpgParts (resized).jpg
#4 11 months ago

Thanks guys - I tried #2 and pretty much made a mess of it. It could work with some more attention, but it's big enough that it drags a bit on the backing plate and will cause the button to stick under a lot of action. Fortunately I have a few more new C-905's in my bin, so no loss there.

I just ordered some backing plates from PBL (along with a few other things I need so I'm not paying $14 UPS shipping costs just for two little steel things). Hopefully these new backing plates will have a large enough hole for the newer C-905's.

#5 11 months ago

Got the new backing plates from PBL today - new buttons fit great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-buttons-on-em-night-rider-new-ones-don-t-fit?tu=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.