Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by cowman57
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Why does it "seem" like the harder you hit the flipper buttons, the harder the flippers actually hit?

#2 12 years ago

For the same reason that the close elevator door button doesn't.

#3 12 years ago

I guess the flipper just starts sooner. The slap is actually used to alter the ball path by moving the machine slightly and flipping at the same time.

#4 12 years ago

I didn't mean the slap/nudge, I meant hitting the buttons harder..Sorry

#5 12 years ago

I've noticed this phenomenon also. In fact when I first got into pins the wife and I had this discussion. I told her that it was impossible, that's just not how they work. It's all in our heads. And yes I supposed the harder you slap the flipper button the faster your hand is moving and the sooner the ball hits the flipper. But then again an earlier hit dosent always mean a better hit. Oh now I'm confused.

#6 12 years ago

That's what the dual contacts are for. The games measure the time between the two switch closures to figure out how hard you press the buttons.

#7 12 years ago

It's purely psychological. Most people hit the button harder when they are going for a big shot like the Delta ramp on STTNG. It's just human nature.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

That's what the dual contacts are for. The games measure the time between the two switch closures to figure out how hard you press the buttons.

Darn it, your big smiley face trumps my logic and knowledge of the board schematics.

Ok, I'll buy that one

#9 12 years ago

After re-reading my post sober, I realized it probably wasn't obvious that I was joking. It would actually work, but I don't think that method has ever been used.

#10 12 years ago

oh come on? All these years of telling myself to hit the pin harder on important shots was for naught?

#11 12 years ago

Slap saves, hard hitting, tap passing, nudging, etc are all parts of being a better player. I use a hard slap hit sometimes to do a flipper catch...

#12 12 years ago

Some sideways shots are definitely easier if you hit the flipper button hard with a slap because the jolt to the game is adding a little extra velocity to the shot. Also, a slap or quick hit to the button will open the upper flipper leaf or opto switch sooner then it would with a slower button press—which might help with timing on certain shots.

#13 12 years ago

Haha. Kids do this to our machines all the time. We are always replacing flipper buttons. Insert quarter. Nothing happens. Press a bunch of buttons. Nothing happens. If the kid is observant enough, he will see to insert another coin. Press start, slam flippers until he gets bored, and walk away. Games made including Fliptronics and later should have a menu option for "No flippers untill ball plunged."

#14 12 years ago

yeah my friend does that all the time, i told him it won't change anything.

sometimes it just look more impressive when people are around.

nothing wrong with a little action.

1 year later
    #15 11 years ago

It's been a year since I first made this post. I know that logically it shouldn't make any difference. The sw is either open, or closed. The coil is energized, or it's not. Yet everytime I play, I still "feel" that the harder (faster) I hit the button, the harder the flipper hits the ball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-button-slap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.