• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

frankenstein (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi All,

Could use a little help. Just bought a Mary Shelly's Frankenstein machine and it keeps resetting the game when both flipper buttons are pressed at once. I have tried re-seating all the ribbons/power cables changing the diodes on the flippers coils. Now that the diodes are changed it has now started blowing the right lower flipper fuse which it wasn't doing before I changed them (I have tripled checked the diodes are around the right way) Any ideas?

Thanks,

#2 6 years ago

The reset issue is not a problem with your flippers. When you hit both flippers you are pulling a lot of power causing your 5v to dip low and the processor resets.
Check your power cables first make sure there is no burnt or bad connectors. If this doesn't salve the reset then check your power supply board, mainly the five volt circuit. Check the filtering capacitors in the circuit, the regulator and the bridge rectifier.
As to blowing fuses you have a short somewhere on your Right coil. Check continuity to ground, check your coil ohms.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice MagicSmoke. I will do a full check in the morning.
Love the pic of Luther from the movie The Warriors. Perhaps my favourite movie of all time.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks Man, it is probably my favorite of all time too. Let me know if you have any questions ill help as much as I can.
Nick

3 months later
#5 6 years ago

Ok I know it's been a while but here is an update (busy at Christmas and away) on the machine.
The reset issue has been fixed by buying a new power board from K's Arcade (the old board was not sending out the right voltage when tested with a multimeter) u were spot on MagicSmoke. Also the battery pack on the mainboard has been disconnected and a new separate one installed so now it saves the settings. HOWEVER the right lower flipper keeps blowing fuses. I have install a new coil and diode even though the old ones were tested and checked. One thing I found interesting (not sure if it means anything) is that the flipper board onboard little red light works with the flipper and lights up and doesn't blow the fuse when I hit the flipper button while the machine is not playing but the fuse blows soon as the start button starts the game and the flipper is pressed. 3 out of 4 issues have been fixed with this machine... so close to getting this machine finally going. Any suggestions?...Cheers Ken

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

Hey Ken... This has been an interesting exercise getting this machine working.. I've enjoyed the process of going over your place on the weekend and helping with the diagnosis of the issues. That power replacement board really did the trick with the reset. As you said you we are very close to getting Frankie working perfectly..."F-R-A-N-K-E-N-S-T-E-I-N!!!!!" is almost alive!

So if anyone is interested.. The latest update to this is that it appears that there is a constant 80v (not activated) from the + wire connecting the right flipper coil which reads at the coil end but not at the flipper board end. The other flippers that are working 0v when not pressed. My guess is that there is a short somewhere between the flipper coil and the flipper board so the next task is to trace that wire from the coil to the flipper board to find where the issue is.

If anyone has any addition advice it would be most appreciated.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

So if anyone is interested.. The latest update to this is that it appears that there is a constant 80v (not activated) from the + wire connecting the right flipper coil which reads at the coil end but not at the flipper board end. The other flippers that are working 0v when not pressed. My guess is that there is a short somewhere between the flipper coil and the flipper board so the next task is to trace that wire from the coil to the flipper board to find where the issue is.

Interesting problem.

Can you double check the reading at the flipper board where you get 0 volts (CN2 pin 7 orand at the coil where you get 80 volts. I can't see how you can have voltage at the flipper, but not at the flipper board (see schematic). The only way I can see this is if someone disconnected that coil from the flipper board and hard-wired it to 50v. With the power off you could check for continuity from the coil to CN2 pin 7/8 and then coil to CN2 pin 11/12.

Also suspicious of the timing of the problem arising. Can you quadruple check the diode orientation: blu/yel wire from CN2-7/8 going to the banded side of the diode.

Quoted from Racer__X:

One thing I found interesting (not sure if it means anything) is that the flipper board onboard little red light works with the flipper and lights up and doesn't blow the fuse when I hit the flipper button while the machine is not playing but the fuse blows soon as the start button starts the game and the flipper is pressed.

When you press the start button does the right flipper energize.

frankenstein (resized).jpgfrankenstein (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-board-blowing-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.