(Topic ID: 49704)

Flipper bat too close to playfield on TSPP?

By drshaw

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Kcpinballfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

The right flipper is much closer to the playfield than the left one on my TSPP. What do I need to replace? The bushing looked okay upon inspection, but I didn't take the other one out to compare and it's the only time I've removed a flipper bushing so how do I know if it's okay?

The previous owner (maybe not on purpose) had the shaft of the bat not all the way down and fully inserted into the arm assembly. Well that made the arm assembly bind in the coil and it wasn't a smooth pull. The bat sometimes wouldn't settle back to resting position and operating the flipper by hand was very stiff. Hard to recognize in game play, except when the flipper wouldn't settle back. I went to fix that issue, and noticed the bat had a lot of play vertically. So I pushed the shaft all the way down, and the arm assembly all the way up, and now it operates free of any binding (like normal). I don't remember if the bat was this close to the playfield before, but now I'm nervous since it's much closer to the playfield than the left. I can still fit a piece of paper between the flipper bat and the playfield without it touching, but I'm concerned about getting airballs off that flipper, and playfield wear if some particles get underneath that bat and it rubs.

The left side is definitely pushed all the way down and snug in the arm assembly and it still has much more clearance. Also it should be noted, that the upper right flipper (not in the mini playfield) is also very close to the playfield. They are definitely the closest compared to all my other tables.

So do I replace the bushing, the bat, or something else?

#2 8 years ago

Start with the bushing. If it is not rubbing and is binding/stiff by hand the bushing or coil sleeve has problems. Both are inexpensive and easy to replace.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

I went to fix that issue, and noticed the bat had a lot of play vertically. So I pushed the shaft all the way down, and the arm assembly all the way up, and now it operates free of any binding (like normal). I don't remember if the bat was this close to the playfield before, but now I'm nervous since it's much closer to the playfield than the left.

You should leave about a credit card thickness of space between the plastic of the flipper bat and the top (the part protruding from the playfield) of the flipper bushing. It should not bind when that much space is left. There should always be a little bit of vertical play. A simple little tool was made for this purpose, but you can use a credit card or something else of a similar thickness if you don't have one.

#4 8 years ago

put a washer or 2 under that flipper

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

put a washer or 2 under that flipper

Above the playfield or below?

#6 8 years ago

put the washer between the flipper bat and playfield to rase the bat up i had to do it on my No Fear

#7 8 years ago

Okay, I've ordered some new bushings which I will also try.

#8 8 years ago

I disagree about adding a washer. As previously stated you should have a small credit card gap between the flipper bat bottom and the flipper bushing on top of the playfield. A washer may never cause a problem but it is one more part to worry about that wasn't designed to be there. That flipper bushing may be worn down a little and that's why it's closer to the playfield and it's also the cheapest part to replace.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside