Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_1489.jpg

#1 7 years ago

What's the secret to keeping the flipper bat shafts from turning in the clamps of the flipper plunger mech? I tightened them up so tight I was worried about breaking the clamp bolt. The odd thing is the flippers are working their way up higher. You would think they would work their way lower from striking the ball.

#2 7 years ago

Your hardware may be stripped. Once you tighten them up, they shouldn't budge.

#3 7 years ago

Definitly not stripped...It's doing it on both flippers, and you can't push them back with moderate pressure.

#4 7 years ago

That much in a half dozen short games....It doesn't make sense that they would work thier way up...

100_1489.jpg

#5 7 years ago

Just a thought... Try Vise-Grips on the Allen Wrench.. Maybe a little more leverage will give you just enough torque to keep them in place?

#6 7 years ago

Is the shaft wore? It's got to be something with the pawl or the shaft.

#7 7 years ago

It's part of a brand new flipper rebuild kit from Action Pinball...There is no bolt head to turn..The head of the bolt will not turn, as it is simular to a carrige bolt....Why do they move upward?

#8 7 years ago

I use a little ratchet and usually those things tighten forever. You just have to make them tighter

#9 7 years ago

Are you sure it's not sticking? Will the flipper actually rotate up further than the other one?

#10 7 years ago

All new sleeeves, and linkage...No sticking...Guess I'll really reef on them, and try that.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

It's part of a brand new flipper rebuild kit from Action Pinball...There is no bolt head to turn..The head of the bolt will not turn, as it is simular to a carrige bolt....Why do they move upward?

The bolt should squeeze the two sides together against the flipper bat shaft. Can you take a picture of your assembly underneath? Something is not right here. There should be enough force to hold the shaft in place long before you can no longer turn the bolt.

#12 7 years ago

You have to get them pretty tight to stay in place give it another try.

#13 7 years ago

Its not surprising they are going up if not tightened. The coil is going to have most force applied in that direction while the return is simply a spring action without much force.

A pic of the setup from beneath would be helpful to see if its simply moving in the assembly or if something else is happening. Are the flippers new as well?

#14 7 years ago

It is two new bats...I've got them really, really tight now. and we'll give it a day and see how it goes...Thanks everybody!

#15 7 years ago

Sorry to hijack thread but didn't want to start a new thread for a potentially simple question.

Does anyone sell black flipper bats?? Thanks

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Sorry to hijack thread but didn't want to start a new thread for a potentially simple question.

Does anyone sell black flipper bats?? Thanks

Black flipper bats link:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-20-10110-7

Next time just ask google.

#17 7 years ago

That sucker has to be really tight.

gl

#18 7 years ago

Impact Wrench?? .... Sorry I had too

#19 7 years ago

Yeah, it is surprising how much force you need to get them to not move. I always tighten to where I think it is good and then give another full turn. This is especially true for brand new kits as the shaft is still smooth and the pawl is not squeezed together yet.

#20 7 years ago

Ya you need to really tighten them REAL good. That pic reminds me when I did my flipper rebuild thought Ii was good and the flippers were in all different positions after a few games, so just kept ratcheting, if that dont do it then hit the "Gym"! J/K

#21 7 years ago

Well it's been a day, and they're still in place...I remember reading that the two holes by the bottom of the flipper bat are for adjusting the flippers, by putting a pin in the hole and setting the flippers against the pin....Is that with the rubbers on the bat, or off?

#22 7 years ago

Rubbers on.

However, I don't use those holes - I just align the flipper so there's a smooth, straight transition from the metal guide feeding the flipper. Nice and smooth, no up or down movement, just a straight, even level roll Games play better that way!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Rubbers on.
However, I don't use those holes - I just align the flipper so there's a smooth, straight transition from the metal guide feeding the flipper. Nice and smooth, no up or down movement, just a straight, even level roll Games play better that way!

This exactly what to do! I found that out when doing my rebuild, those holes weren't lining my flips right so just went with guides as mentioned above. make sure theres abit of up and down play on the flippers though.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

However, I don't use those holes - I just align the flipper so there's a smooth, straight transition from the metal guide feeding the flipper...Games play better that way!

I definitely can understand what your saying and why you do it that way. I prefer to do it the same way myself. That said, for those new to getting them adjusted the holes with the rubbers on is probably the best thing to shoot for. From there they can tinker a bit for a smoother transition once they get comfortable with the general position they want them adjusted at. I have had to help some friends with little experience get the adjustment right because they had it too far one way or the other but if I tell them to try to get it close to the holes then they can get them adjusted pretty well even without having too much experience with it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Unknown City, CA
$ 27.99
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 64.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside