• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I started my playfield swap today on my TZ, and I noticed 2 posts under the playfield.
Do you know what they are used for ? Are they important ? Do I need to replace them on the new playfield ?

Here are the posts of the lower flipper bats:
IMG_1048.JPGIMG_1048.JPG

Here is the same little post of the top left flipper bat (camera):
IMG_1049.JPGIMG_1049.JPG

Thanks for your help,
Leo.

#2 9 years ago

You use them to align the flippers. Push em up, adjust the flippers, back down for gameplay.

#3 9 years ago

Ok thanks. So I guess I don't need to save them

#4 9 years ago

Those are called roll pins . They are used to line up the flippers
I left mine out on my TOM swap ,personal choice .
I didnt want to damage the new playfield by hammering them in.
If you do use them, drill pilot holes. Use a NEW drill bit that is slightly smaller,so its nice and snug.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

Ok thanks. So I guess I don't need to save them

I would save them. They are a nice and easy way to help with flipper adjustment.

*Edit* after the discussion in this thread, I wouldn't suggest putting them back in a new playfield. When I read the op's question I missed the playfield swap part.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

You use them to align the flippers. Push em up, adjust the flippers, back down for gameplay.

U sure your supposed to move them to adjust flippers? I thought u just used a toothpic or small Allen wrench in the hole

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U sure your supposed to move them to adjust flippers?

They move up and down easy. You can also use the pick or allen. It's all good either way.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

They move up and down easy. You can also use the pick or allen. It's all good either way.

Interesting ive never encountered a easy moving one

#9 9 years ago

I definitely prefer the toothpick/allen wrench than hitting the new playfield with a hammer !

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U sure your supposed to move them to adjust flippers?

Ok, you tell me. Why the heck would they bother to put roll pins in there if they weren't supposed to be moved? I mean lots of games had the holes, but no pins.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

I definitely prefer the toothpick/allen wrench than hitting the new playfield with a hammer !

And why would you need a hammer to move a roll pin?

#12 9 years ago

Because I can tell you that the one currently installed on my old playfield don't move a bit without hitting them strong !

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Ok, you tell me. Why the heck would they bother to put roll pins in there if they weren't supposed to be moved? I mean lots of games had the holes, but no pins.

So u can put a tooth pic or something similar in the hole I imagine? Ive seen people try hammering them and it damaged the play field by chipping it topside .

#14 9 years ago

Look, back to the original question. Those pins were installed at the factory for the purpose of adjusting flippers. You can still use them to do that. I've yet to see one that needed a hammer to move. If you don't want them to adjust your flippers don't use em. I happen to like games with them. I push em up, usually use the handle of a nut driver, adjust my flips, and push them back down.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

And why would you need a hammer to move a roll pin?

Roll pins are smashed on the ends a little so they stay put same thing the plugers use to hold tips or other things in place. I also use the alot on my gun builds so im pretty sure they sldnt move without a correct size punch .

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So u can put a tooth pic or something similar in the hole I imagine? Ive seen people try hammering them and it damaged the play field by chipping it topside .

What moron did you see hammering the bottom of their playfield? I hope you smacked em.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

im pretty sure they sldnt move without a correct size punch .

Then use a punch not a hammer. lol

#18 9 years ago

If you look in his pic in the first post u can see they splintered the wood below when installed ive seen that on the topside from people that pushed them up but I guess if done correctly like u have did it sld be fine im not trying to say there is no right or wrong just alot easier and safer to use a small allenwrench tho

#19 9 years ago

I think we got off track here. Obviously if they don't move easy you shouldn't force them, especially on a new playfield. The fact remains though, they were originally there for flipper adjustment, which was the initial question. Now Leo13 is right, I wouldn't bother putting them in on a playfield swap. On in old playfield however I find them beneficial and have never had an issue moving them up and down.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

I think we got off track here. Obviously if they don't move easy you shouldn't force them, especially on a new playfield. The fact remains though, they were originally there for flipper adjustment, which was the initial question. Now Leo13 is right, I wouldn't bother putting them in on a playfield swap. On in old playfield however I find them beneficial and have never had an issue moving them up and down.

Definitely there for flipper adjustment no doubt about that and I love them and use them alot .I think the roll pin was used bc just a bare hole there's a chance when tightening the flipper that the wood gives and can put a indentation on the edge of the hole or much worse chip or splinter the playfield depending on what is used in the hole , also its alot more accurate with metal than bare wood bc it wont give at all.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Definitely there for flipper adjustment no doubt about that and I love them and use them alot .I think the roll pin was used bc just a bare hole there's a chance when tightening the flipper that the wood gives and can put a indentation on the edge of the hole or much worse chip or splinter the playfield depending on what is used in the hole , also its alot more accurate with metal than bare wood bc it wont give at all.

No argument here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 12.95
$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-bat-little-post-under-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.