New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 265076)

Flipper Assembly replacement - 1 or both - poll

By Animal

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Animal
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“When you replace an entire Flipper Assembly, do you change just the one or both?”

• I change one assembly 1 vote
    4%
  • I change both assemblies if the other is a few years older 26 votes
    96%

(27 votes)

#1 7 months ago

So, for those of you who replace the whole Flipper Assembly when trouble shooting doesnt fix a problem with a flipper, do you change just the faulty flipper or both to keep them at even power?

The reason I ask is, my left flipper for STLE, is sticking, and after the usual troubleshooting I replaced it. Now it is clear that it is noticeably stronger than the right flipper, which seemed just fine until compared to the new one installed... As well, it doesnt seem to go as high (just by a little bit), in flip position...

#2 7 months ago

You don't need to change the entire flipper assembly. Did you change the coil stop first? That has been one problem that Stern has had recently with POS coil stops that cause sticky flippers...a $4 part. But whatever you do to one side ALWAYS do to the other side. Always. Well, except changing the entire assembly. I wouldn't be doing that.

#3 7 months ago

When flippers Stick it's nearly always a binding issue, sometimes that's as simple as adjusting the height of the flipper bat, usually best to rebuild

And I think most will agree if you do one, do both(all)
Like when you do your brakes

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

You don't need to change the entire flipper assembly. Did you change the coil stop first? That has been one problem that Stern has had recently with POS coil stops that cause sticky flippers...a $4 part. But whatever you do to one side ALWAYS do to the other side. Always. Well, except changing the entire assembly. I wouldn't be doing that.

I checked if it was concave... it wasn't, but, hell, Ive got time to switch it out, to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your input.

#5 7 months ago

The Stern stops come apart where they're peened to the bracket. It causes the flipper to get sticky.

Other things to check, dirty coil sleeve, bad plunger/link and not enough up/down play between the bat and bushing.

#6 7 months ago

Complete rebuild on all flipper assemblies = years of trouble free operation.

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from mikat11:

Complete rebuild on all flipper assemblies = years of trouble free operation.

This is often unnecessary on newer Stern Machines as the coil stop is the weakest link as the brass rivet on the coil stop often times break before there is any wear on either the coil stop itself or the plunger.

Quoted from mikat11:

years of trouble free operation.

Unfortunately this is not even guaranteed with a new flipper mechanism in a new Stern machine; I've replaced broken coil stops in machines that were less than a year old.

#8 7 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is often unnecessary on newer Stern Machines as the coil stop is the weakest link as the brass rivet on the coil stop often times break before there is any wear on either the coil stop itself or the plunger.

Unfortunately this is not even guaranteed with a new flipper mechanism in a new Stern machine; I've replaced broken coil stops in machines that were less than a year old.My intention is to give the poster good advice that pertains to proper maintenance. I have been servicing pinball machines since 1989 and have tried to be as helpful as possible to all members of this forum. Please don't try to discredit my attempt to help a fellow Pinsider. Thank you and have a good day.

#9 7 months ago

REBUILD THE FLIPPER ASSEMBLIES ON YOUR PINBALL MACHINE. I have been repairing pinball machines for over 30 years and the number ONE problem with pinball machines is the FLIPPERS DO NOT WORK. DO NOT REPLACE ONE PART AT A TIME,REPLACE ALL PARTS. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND ELIMINATE A LOT OF PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD.

#10 7 months ago

Baby with the bath water advices.

#11 7 months ago

You think you are the Jesus Christ of all things related to pinball.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from TheLaw:

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from mikat11:

I have been repairing pinball machines for over 30 years and the number ONE problem with pinball machines is the FLIPPERS DO NOT WORK.

I have no doubt you are very experienced here, unfortunately your experience is working against you as the the most common flipper related problem on newer Sterns (Spike and later SAM) is that the coil stops actually break with zero wear to the actual stop itself or to the plunger. Now I do replace the coil sleeve as well since there is no reason not to; and I never replace the EOS switch on these newer machines (unless its physically broken) as there is just no reason to.

I'm sure there will be a time that an entire flipper rebuild will be needed; granted I don't know for sure that the OP's HUO machine doesn't have a worn plunger, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't...I'd also be willing to bet there is a small pile of brass dust in the bottom of the cabinet under the flipper that's having an issue.

#13 7 months ago
Quoted from mikat11:

Quoted from mikat11:

Quoted from mikat11:

Can we hear more aboot how long you've been fixing machines?
So...fucking...interesting

#14 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can we hear more aboot how long you've been fixing machines?
So...fucking...interesting

And your 31,535 worthless,uninteresting comments.

#15 7 months ago

My personal experience on newer Sterns has been simply the coil stop going bad (falling apart) on the flipper assembly. We had a Munsters less than a month old and the coil stop had fallen apart. Tell-tale brass dust on the bottom of the cabinet was the giveaway signs of a bad stop.

We use replacement coil stops from Pinball Life now.

#16 7 months ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Tell-tale brass dust on the bottom of the cabinet was the giveaway signs of a bad stop.
We use replacement coil stops from Pinball Life now.

What are Pinball Life's coil stops made of?

#17 7 months ago
Quoted from Animal:

What are Pinball Life's coil stops made of?

it seems Pinball Life is buying their coil stops from a different source than Stern (and likely some other major parts retailers.) anecdotal evidence says that the PBL stops last a lot longer than the originals.

---

on the original topic, i've found that after two or three years of solid use the plastic links on Stern flipper assemblies tend to oval out and cause a lot of slop and loss of power. if you don't mind spending the time, the linkages are pretty easy to get parts for and can be repaired for a lot less than a full kit or even new linkage will cost you. generally though, if one is sloppy like this chances are good the other one is too and you might as well repair or replace both.

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from mc300baud:

it seems Pinball Life is buying their coil stops from a different source than Stern (and likely some other major parts retailers.) anecdotal evidence says that the PBL stops last a lot longer than the originals.
---
on the original topic, i've found that after two or three years of solid use the plastic links on Stern flipper assemblies tend to oval out and cause a lot of slop and loss of power. if you don't mind spending the time, the linkages are pretty easy to get parts for and can be repaired for a lot less than a full kit or even new linkage will cost you. generally though, if one is sloppy like this chances are good the other one is too and you might as well repair or replace both.

yeah, one of my plastic links broke...that's what led to this repair. I will order some coil stops, but decided to replace both assemblies since I had them and the game is NIB 7 years ago...wow what power, almost a new pin, but with really hard high scores to try to beat!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside