Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

super bands.jpg
grinder.jpg
FGY.jpg
IMG_3371.JPG
IMG_3369.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

As I said earlier, lots of games simply do not align with the holes (and some games do not have the holes at all. My RS that I sold did not have alignment holes, and required a straight edge to line up) Using the holes (or not using them) is not right or wrong. You need to do what works for your game, plain and simple. There is no blanket statement that applies to every game.

Yep, Congo has no holes either. But since you need them low to get up the volcano ramp that's where I put them.

#52 10 years ago

Alright, here is a little video of the "hop" I am referring to. It might be a little hard to see it, but at slow speeds it's pretty obvious. At higher speeds it seems to transition fine.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Alright, here is a little video of the "hop" I am referring to. It might be a little hard to see it, but at slow speeds it's pretty obvious.

That's perfectly normal for FGY. Nothing is worn or damaged on the game. Put the glass back on and enjoy the game. FGY is one of Stern's best. You're very fortunate to have one.

#54 10 years ago

Thanks phisrace, That's what I was hoping to hear.

#55 10 years ago

I would recommend different rubbers as well, it does look kind of thin at the top there.

#56 10 years ago

From my understanding in a conversation about this subject with a prominent designer the holes are set to align the flippers for the correct angles to make the shots.

Some flippers are aligned (without the rubbers) resting against the pins that were in the holes.

Some flippers are aligned (with the rubbers on) resting against the pins that were in the holes.

Some flippers are aligned with the flippers centered Over the pins that were in the holes.

Of course you would have to know which type of alignment your particular machine was designed with but that info is not available so you should just set them according to how you like them.

As for the ball hop, adjusting the lane guide is the only solution as its the lane guide that causes the hop not the flipper angle.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

That's perfectly normal for FGY. Nothing is worn or damaged on the game. Put the glass back on and enjoy the game. FGY is one of Stern's best. You're very fortunate to have one.

I would say it is normal for FG, but that does not make it right. One of my complaints about FG is that many of them (not all) do in fact have ball hop similar to what is in the video. I would do like Vid suggests and fix the lane guides. You will be much happier if you do, as playing a game with ball hop sucks.

If you uncomfortable messing with your current ball guides then buy a new set from cliffy and try those out/ modify them to work. Just because the factory messed something up does not mean you should not fix it on your game.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

I would recommend different rubbers

I went ahead and installed new rubbers hoping they would be a little thicker. Its pretty much the same. I did make the holes in the guide bigger, which allowed me some adjustment. But I still cannot achieve perfect alignment. I looked at cliffy's site, and didn't see a direct replacement for newer Sterns.

With the new rubbers the transition is noticeably more abrupt. I think it's just because they have more grip and I will try to break them in and see how it plays after a while.

2 weeks later
#59 10 years ago

For what it's worth I spoke w PL about the alignment a few yrs ago. The game was designed so that w the ball saver post up that when the ball was at rest, depending on the side, the Chris and Lois shots could be made.

Mine would only make the left shot and always hit the captive ball on the right shot although most other shreks and fg's i played made both.

PL said that all of his games were designed for flipper alignment parallel to the guides regardless of the pin holes.

Slight manufacturing deviations were to blame for the right shot not being made, however on my machine to align to the holes would be what I consider quite a lower angle change.

My rubber to guide offset looks exactly like yours, just my opinion but I say keep flips parallel, the offset is in every fg and shrek I've seen so far....

Rod

3 years later
#60 6 years ago

Came across this post, and I just wanted to ask...

If aligning your flipper with the alignment holes, do you rest the flipper on the toothpick with the rubber on or off?

For my Medieval Madness, it seems to put the flippers in a bit of a droopy position. The shots to the ramps feel great, but trying to live catch is a bit tricky with this angle. You get a lot of bounce!

Thoughts?

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

For my Medieval Madness, it seems to put the flippers in a bit of a droopy position.

Droopy sucks, so does big hop. Every game I have played that has a smooth transition from guide to flipper with nice parallel alignment feels good to play and has good flow at the flippers. Out of alignment up or down feels "unnatural". Alignment holes only work sometimes, not all the time. Remember that these games were originally designed as amusements to grab occasional pocket change, the precise details that serious hobbyists and championship players often desire simply aren't there.

This isn't the only hobby or sport where proper modification of off the shelf equipment is applied for demanding performance. Musical instruments, sporting gear, firearms, automobiles, and more. People who are serious about there passions make the necessary improvements to get the performance - so don't settle for just using alignments holes and saying "what it is is what it is".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-alignment-question/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.