3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Raff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    flipper_alignment_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160228_012924034_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Should the flippers be aligned with the ball guides or with the artwork? The guides are not quite parallel to the artwork in this case. I'm assuming the guides. Splitting hairs I know, but these are the things that keep me up at night not really

IMG_20160228_012924034_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

The ball should flow freely from guide to flipper bat.

#3 3 years ago

Remember also that the existing indentations in the shaft will often **find** the setscrew tip and return the flipper to the wrong position.

Sometimes the only fix is a new shaft.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Remember also that the existing indentations in the shaft will often **find** the setscrew tip and return the flipper to the wrong position.

Swapping the left and right flipper shafts usually provides a fresh place for *one* of the screws to bite into. The other one may line up half-way with the old indention and want to pull it into there with the screw point, so for that one you can install a flat-tipped screw and just let it bite the half of the post that's there.

But I agree, replacing is the best option. Just MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE the flipper is in the correct position before cranking down the screws and putting a divot in the flipper shaft. It's pretty much impossible to fine tune that position with pre-existing divots in the shaft.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yup I have two brand new shafts, that's why I'm asking The old ones were pretty chewed up.

#6 3 years ago

I agree with the response that suggests the flipper face, with ring installed, to be exactly lined up with the feed wire. These two planes should be completely parallel.

flipper_alignment_(resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

How are those new flippers?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's why sometimes I need to grind that area of the flipper shaft of any previous bite marks from the set screws. It usually works pretty well. If not, then a new flipper bat is in order.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This seems to happen to me every. single. time. What a PITA!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

How are those new flippers?

I don't know what to tell ya... How are they not?

#11 3 years ago

Lining up flippers seems to be a real toughie. Well, I find it difficult and probably 70% of games I have bought do not ever seem to have flippers lined up properly and matching each other.

I usually get it right by a ton of trial and error and still not sure the best way of getting each flipper the same as with set screws loose. line them up in up position?

#12 3 years ago

Clamp a straight piece of wood to the flipper (with new rubber installed) , align it with the lane guide, tighten the flipper pawl.

#13 3 years ago

That's actually what I ended up doing last night. My set screws have cupped ends, not pointed, to they definitely wanted to "walk" as I tightened them down.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

That's actually what I ended up doing last night. My set screws have cupped ends, not pointed, to they definitely wanted to "walk" as I tightened them down.

You get a second shot by flipping left and right...

If its off by a small amount you can adjust the stop in or out to correct.

#15 3 years ago

Center line of flippers parallel with lane guide(s).

For ems, it's very tough for me to believe that wasn't the intended setting. It just makes all shots flow. Imo

image_(resized).jpeg

#16 3 years ago

Fwiw

This has been discussed before and I believe there weren't any hard facts re settings, but people were 50/50 on it.

1 week later
    #17 3 years ago

flipper shaft before image_(resized).jpg and after grinding

image_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside