• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey All,

First off let me say I talked to our friend Chris last week. He had a rough few months, but is getting better.

He just needs to relax and reduce stress including responding 100 times a day on this forum for a while.

I expect him back in another couple months.

I myself have been traveling for work allot so while I have tried to keep up on the Forum weekly I haven't had much input.

Well it's time to get down the business. I've had the Big Shot for 9 months and haven't touched it for 6. It's time to finish it up and get it on my small line.

To make room I probably need to sell one. Probably my Flip Flop.

It's a great game, but it has one unique problem that I have been chasing for months.

Time to throw in the towel and ask for some help.

Whenever I start the game from cold iron the score motor runs incredible slow until it warms up.

I mean really slow.

Reels reset slowly, scores slow. Anything that seems to require the score motor.

After you play several games it gets faster and faster.

I replaced the motor and gear assembly.

I played around with the plastic busing on the end of the disc shaft.

Nothing seems to help.

The switch stacks seem tight, but even releasing pressure doesn't seem to help.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Bert

#2 9 years ago

Your title says Flip Flop, but you mention Big Shot... what game is it?

#3 9 years ago

Trying to get my Flip Flop running 100% because I'm thinking of selling it to make room for the Big Shot.

#4 9 years ago

Not saying the behavior is normal for a Flip Flop but our Flip Flop does the exact same thing. Definitely noticeable compared to our other EMs. I also tried several things to try and speed it up but nothing has helped. But it's been up in our collection for 3 or 4 years now and it still works fine (other than the slow start-up)

#5 9 years ago

This is not right, my flip flop doesn't have that issue. Do you have the transformer on high tap?

#6 9 years ago

Definitely NOT correct behavior... I've done a ton of EMs, including the restoration of a Flip Flop a few years back... but have absolutely no idea where to look for that kind of issue; it doesn't seem to be electrical in nature... perhaps the score motor gearing itself? Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Don

#7 9 years ago

i'm hopefully gonna be healed by christmas to come kick the demons out of that flip-flop...

just for giggles though... you could stop by and grab the motor out of the one that i have in my shed and swap it in... maybe that will point us in the right direction....

#8 9 years ago

Mine runs slow also i'm thinking it's a gummed up gearbox but I really don't feel like cracking the case I will probably try soaking it in alchol at some point to see if that loosens it up.

#9 9 years ago

I split my gearbox and cleaned it up.

No good.

Bought a different Bally motor and tranny.

No good.

Very perplexing.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

I split my gearbox and cleaned it up.

No good.

Bought a different Bally motor and tranny.

No good.

Very perplexing.

Maybe it's just tired like the rest of us old farts with broken parts.

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-flop-runs-slow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.