Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bowler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220211_165947 (resized).jpg
    20220211_170000 (resized).jpg
    Flip Flop flippers (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Would you have or draw me a diagram for the left flippers. Just picked up this game and I have a problem. Would need wire colors etc. Where they go as to the flipper coil and the low power points next to the coil.
    Thanks

#3 2 years ago

take a look at how the right flippers are wired.

the only difference is the neutral wire(s) on the right flippers is black/yellow and the one on the left flippers is orange/black.

the EOS switch blades are on the lug with the red wire and the middle lug, so you just need to figure out which end lug has the red power wire and which has the other one.

the end lug with the red wire has higher gauge (thinner) coil wire on it.

or put another way, the EOS switch when closed is shorting out/bypassing the low power part of the coil, and the low power coil wire is the thinner wire.

#4 2 years ago

Okay. I have a red wire on one side of coil. There are two (red) of them out of main harness. I have one other wire that jumps from red to EOS. One question I have is the are two other wires that come out of the harness. One is orange with black tracer. Another looks white with red tracer. Orange is on coil and the white is on EOS. Am I making any sense? Can't read the online schematic. Too small.

#5 2 years ago

anybody got a picture or three?

#6 2 years ago

Another way to look at it is that the top and bottom left flippers should be wired exactly the same with the same wire colors (although the coils are different).
    Flip Flop flippers (resized).jpgFlip Flop flippers (resized).jpg
    /Mark

#7 2 years ago

I read the first post as both left flippers were disconnected

can you post a picture of what you have?

you should have orange/black wire on one end lug, a wire to the EOS on the middle lug, and red wire on the other end lug along with a wire to the other EOS blade.

if you have multiple wires of the same color ... e.g. two reds, they should be connected together on the coil lug.

old chicago on ipdb.org has a good picture of the playfield bottom ... tho that game only has two flippers so there may be a difference.

https://www.ipdb.org/images/1704/image-31.jpg

#8 2 years ago

that may be my problem. Upper and lower wire are different. red is the same, but the orange black does not go to the upper coil. the white red does. this mean anything to you?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bowler:

Can't read the online schematic. Too small.

Easy to blow up with your fingers and then take screenshots of the areas needed.

#10 2 years ago
    20220211_165947 (resized).jpg20220211_165947 (resized).jpg20220211_170000 (resized).jpg20220211_170000 (resized).jpg
    #11 2 years ago

well, the schematic doesn't show it working that way, but the idea is the lower flipper flips first, then the extra switch on the EOS closes and powers the upper flipper.

that was usually to reduce the power surge that would otherwise happen when both flipper coils powered at the same time.

so the white/red wire is the same as the orange/black one ... it's just delayed by the NO EOS switch.

#12 2 years ago

As you can see, someone replaced lower flipper coil. I think I'm beginning to understand. Which wires on the EOS should connect to power upper? the red and white/ red?

#13 2 years ago

your pictures look wired correctly assuming the red wires are on the correct end of the coil.

is something not working?

since you have two EOS switches:

- the NC one connects to the red wire and middle coil lug
    - the NO one connects to orange/black and white/red

at the upper flipper, the white/red connects to the end coil lug ... it takes the place of orange/black.

the NC EOS on the upper flipper connects to red and middle coil lug like the lower flipper does.

#14 2 years ago

maybe I have a bad upper coil. As when the EOS on the lower flipper.... the upper contacts on the lower fuse together and sends game to game over.

#15 2 years ago

disconnect the white/red from the upper coil and see if the game survives a flip.

#16 2 years ago

disconnected and it does not trip the game off

#17 2 years ago

coil bad sounds right. Doesn't look too healthy either

if you can manually operate the upper flipper smoothly, then you could check resistance with an ohmeter measuring between white/red wire lug and center lug.

compare to right flipper coil.

since the schem is hard to read, the coil should be AF-26-650 / 28-800

also, I'd verify the upper flipper EOS is working ... actually opening the contacts AND not still shorting the blades together elsewhere. If the EOS doesn't work, that'll explain toasting the coil.

#18 2 years ago

Thank you. I'll check that out. I can say the upper EOS was bent over when I got the game. So that's a possibility on bvb the toasted coil. I've ordered new ones. So I will play a three flipper game for awhile. I'll advise on what happens when the new coils come.

#19 2 years ago

Replaced the coil. The flipper works again. Thank you all, for all your help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-flop-left-flipper-promblem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.