3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by flopflip
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capturez (resized).PNG
    Capturey (resized).PNG
    FLFlgs4 (resized).jpg
    FLFlgs2 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

On my Bally Flip Flop neither the #1 nor #3 Flip Flags flip. Neither of the rollover buttons nor the target activate the Flip Flag. Bells ring and points are added but Flags do not flip in either direction and actuator does not move. #2 and #4 Flags work fine. All related switches seen fine. I do have schematic. Any direction would be helpful.

FLFlgs2 (resized).jpgFLFlgs2 (resized).jpgFLFlgs4 (resized).jpgFLFlgs4 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

I adjusted the switches on the #1 and #3 Flip Flag actuators and they are now attempting to flip when any of the targets or rollovers are contacted. However, they only pop up a bit and lay back down falling short of a complete flip. This happens to all 4 Flags. Do the targets need to be hit harder? Or do the switches need to be adjusted somehow to stay active long enough for the Flags to completely flip over?

#3 3 years ago

What you just said makes me think you were heading in the right direction, but just didn't quite get all the switches adjusted or cleaned well enough. Try a little more cleaning and see where that gets you.

#4 3 years ago

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
    1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
    2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
    3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#5 3 years ago

Please change this thread title to:

Flop Flip's Flip Flop's Flip Flags don't Flip

#6 3 years ago

Don't know Flip Flop, but is there a coil for each flag also?

#7 3 years ago

"Do the targets need to be hit harder" nope, just good connections all round. The good news here is there are only a couple of switches to check:

Capturey (resized).PNGCapturey (resized).PNG

Reading from bottom to top above, for #1 (for example) to flip, the #1 solenoid has to energize. For that to happen the make/break switch on the #1 Flip Relay must be clean and closed (will have a white wire with blue tracer, and gray with red tracer). And a switch on the #1 Target Relay must be clean and close when Target Relay solenoid energizes (Gray/Red tracer and a yellow wire).

I would also check the switches on the Target Relay part:

Capturez (resized).PNGCapturez (resized).PNG

Again from bottom up, a make/break on #1 Flip Relay should be clean and closed, and then finally the actual switch behind the target

My tip here...I find that sometimes just cleaning switches with a cotton bud and alcohol gets all the crap off and does the trick. Clean all of them so they are bright..many times you don't need a flexstone unless the contacts are pitted...and more often they are not.

#8 3 years ago

OKAY! cleaned all switches again and all Flags are behaving properly! So far so good! Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-flag-not-flipping?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.