(Topic ID: 275384)

Flip a Card weak slingshots

By Sea_Wolf

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

If you're feeling adventurous and you've checked to make sure all the usual suspects (ie friction or worn linkages or dirty parts/contacts) aren't your problem, and you'd still like more powerful slingshots, you can remove layers of wire from the coils themselves. Remove the coil, unwrap the paper, unsolder one end of the wire from a lug and remove wire (which makes the coil more powerful - to a point) until you're happy with the amount of "sling".

Just be careful not to take off too much wire - you reach a point of diminishing returns eventually. I've had good luck with that on pop bumpers on some early games.

Like someone else noted - the yellow and orange dot coils are for flippers - 3 lugs.

#8 3 years ago

Yeah, Lee - that would be a huge difference in the sling's power, like you said. I like taking layers of wire off the coil because you can do it a little at a time and get the results you want - if you don't mind doing alot of soldering and de-soldering.

I did it on a Slick Chick and Magic City and if I remember correctly, the coils' resistance went from maybe 2.4 ohms down to about 1.7 ohms. I think I took off about 2 layers of wire. But I started slowly, took off 1 layer, checked the resistance, put it back together and played it a few times, wasn't quite happy, did it again....until it played the way I wanted it to.

That was for pop bumpers, but it should work just as well for slings. Just make sure you eliminate friction, geometry problems and slop in linkages first before you go this route.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-a-card-weak-slingshots-?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.