(Topic ID: 308249)

Flip-A-Card score reel problem

By wawhite92025

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

My Flip-A-Card was working great but usually on powering on the game and 1st startup, the thousands reel would stop at 7. Additional presses of the start button and it would advance to zero. Ball would have to be put back in the outhole and game would play 100% and then on the next game the 1000 reel worked correctly and each subsequent game. When the game did start at 7000 the game still worked correctly, so the game would work fine even though 1000 reel was not a zero. After many hours of efforts to correct this I have not found/fixed the problem, but as I say, after first game then the 1000 would always reset to zero. Now problem has become more "complicated". The outhole, 50 point, 300 point, ball return and 3rd chute relays ALL cause the game to move the 1000 reel five digits. Also, the score motor itself (by gently pushing it off the stop position) will add 6000 points, then next 1/3 rotation adds 4000 point, so every two 1/3 rev of the motor get the thousands reel back to zero. None of the relays are activated by just letting the motor turn. In normal game play all four of the reels work correctly, each will advance the next reel in going from 9 to 0.

Has anyone seen this issue before and found the problem. My game is very clean and as far as I can tell all the motor switches, relay and bank relay switches are set correctly, proper gaps, clean contacts, etc. Cannot figure how the score motor (with its 5 pointed cam) can cause 6 or 4 pulses to move the 1000s reel. I do have the schematic and a fellow pinsider has been helping but I thought some other input and experience might lead to the solution. I am stumped by this.

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago

If there is a motor service jack you could try to unplug the score motor and turn it slowly by hand to see if you can make more sense of what is making the Score Reel advance.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

My guess is that you had one problem. Now you have two different problems. Like your car ran out of gas and you have a flat tire. There probably won't be one fix.

The score reels stop spinning on reset when the game "thinks" it is at zero. The signal the the reel is at zero for this generation decagon unit is that they should all be open, I believe - but check your schematic to verify.

Regarding your oddball scoring - These is no 5000 point relay, so this suggests that perhaps a 500 point score is being carried over to the thousands. A careful inspection of the 100s scoring reel may be in order here. Perhaps a slip of paper stuck in the carryover switch to see if the problem goes away?

#4 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Always appreciate suggestions. I found the problem. The lever that moves the 1-9 and 0 switch contacts had moved from between the two thin leaves to underneath the leaves. The contacts were in the correct position but because there is no insulation between the leaves (the lever has a rubber or plastic sleeve that separates and insulates the leaves) my game was getting contact from the upper set of switches to the lower, so shorting all the contacts. It is a mystery how the lever could have moved from between the leaves to underneath because the switch stack is securely screwed in place and in the past the game worked fine. Fortunately I have a similar game and I closely inspected the high score reel switches and realized the lever is wedged in-between the leaves. To prevent from bending or damaging the lever and leaves I had to remove the lever and its spring to get it reinserted back between the leaves. I've never seen this happen before and since the switches were otherwise in the correct position for the 1-9 and 0, I was not seeing the two leaves since they are very thin and mushed together.
The game is now working correctly, but this incident may help someone else figure out a problem if the lever that moves the reel switches gets out of place. If Gottlieb had put fish tape between the leaves my game would have functioned fine because the 9th position switch is not included in the 1000 reel and with the lever under the leaves the switches do set in the right position for the 1-9 and 0 setting.
Fun With Pinball indeed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-a-card-score-reel-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.