(Topic ID: 303225)

Flip a Card pop bumpers and slingshots not scoring or chiming.

By Sea_Wolf

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CaptureFC01 (resized).JPG
35185D63-B729-4037-BB1F-92E3AA415532 (resized).jpeg
2A0F5B7B-C2D9-45C3-9F41-116971EC34DB (resized).jpeg
A4E9BBE9-E74B-48F7-B956-5BD777EF47FB (resized).jpeg
0770417B-C4DD-4883-B2D8-11AAB7E44CA9 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Game starts and resets like it should but for some reason the 3 pop bumpers and all of the 10 point and 1 point slingshots don’t score or chime. They do activate however when hit.

The rollovers and standup targets score and chime like they should, so the 10 point relay works fine. I can also manually activate the 1 point relay and it scores and chimes just fine.

Any help is appreciated.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the response. No luck so far. Cleaned the male plugs on the 6 pin Jones plug in the head and reseated it. Tightened the switch stacks on score motor 1C and cleaned all the switches. The 4 normally closed switches at the home position are all making good contact but still no scoring or chimes for the pop bumpers or slingshots.

The one thing I didn’t do yet was clean the female receptacles of that Jones Plug but I’ll do that next.

#4 2 years ago

No change after cleaning female part of the Jones plug. Trying to see schematically what could cause both the slingshots and pop bumpers to not score or chime, even though the slings and pops still fire but that’s it.

Rollovers and stand up targets score and chime correctly. This started after I was having trouble getting the Ball Count Unit to reset but that was just a mechanical issue with the Allen screw being a little bit loose. Don’t think I adjusted anything else but I’ve been known to ham-hand switches accidentally before. Strange though.

#5 2 years ago

Bumping this to see if anyone has any thoughts on this issue. I can’t seem to find the problem.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I sent you a PM on August 21st, 2020

That was a different issue back then. So you need a copy of the schematic. I’ll see if I can get you a scan later this week. Working some long days this month.

Thanks HowardR

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

You may have two issues.
1st the Kickers. Normally there are a pair of Switch stacks for each kicker and each stack as a set of switches. They have one that controls the kicker and another to control the scoring. (These images are from big_shot)
check you schematic for the wire colors for the scoring. See if the switches are making good contact and that the wires are not broken.
For pop bumpers, there is normally a relay under the playfield that will control the scoring and the pop-bumper coil.
Again check you schematic for each pop bumper.
because each kicker has two switches each, I would suspect a broken wire/broken solder joint. Normally that can happen at the kicker, or at the jones plugs.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for weighing in. I’ll look into those.

One other thing that I failed to mention is that the Spin Unit kickout and outlanes don’t score or chime either. The Spin Unit spins and the kickout hole kicks but no scoring just like the Pops and Slings.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

This is sounding more and more like broken wire.
Do the stand up targets score 50 pts?
The other rollovers score correctly (100 or 500)?
Do the rebound rubbers score 10 pts (by the 10 of clubs)?
Do you have a schematic? Can you post a partial view of the 10/100 pt scoring. I may be able to identify some wire colors to investigate.

Yes, the 50 point standup targets score and chime like they should. The 100 Pt, 300 Pt and 500 point rollovers score and chime like they should too.

No, none of the rebound rubbers of 10 Pt or 1 Pt value score or chime. The bottom Slings do kick. Pop bumpers pop but don’t score or chime and the Spin Unit kickout hole kicks but doesn’t score or chime the points on the wheel, same with the 2 Spin Unit outlanes.

As TimMe suggested, it seems like a Jones Plug issue or as you suggested a broken wire. I’ll triple check the Jones Plug again.

I’ll post the pics of the schematic in an hour or so. Thanks for the help.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

This is sounding more and more like broken wire.
Do the stand up targets score 50 pts?
The other rollovers score correctly (100 or 500)?
Do the rebound rubbers score 10 pts (by the 10 of clubs)?
Do you have a schematic? Can you post a partial view of the 10/100 pt scoring. I may be able to identify some wire colors to investigate.

Here are pics of the whole right side of the schematic.

A4E9BBE9-E74B-48F7-B956-5BD777EF47FB (resized).jpegA4E9BBE9-E74B-48F7-B956-5BD777EF47FB (resized).jpeg0770417B-C4DD-4883-B2D8-11AAB7E44CA9 (resized).jpeg0770417B-C4DD-4883-B2D8-11AAB7E44CA9 (resized).jpeg2A0F5B7B-C2D9-45C3-9F41-116971EC34DB (resized).jpeg2A0F5B7B-C2D9-45C3-9F41-116971EC34DB (resized).jpeg35185D63-B729-4037-BB1F-92E3AA415532 (resized).jpeg35185D63-B729-4037-BB1F-92E3AA415532 (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

The most likely spot for broken wires or bad solder joints is at the switches, and Jones plugs.
Give the wire a gentle tug. (I recommend checking both wires in the motor switch).
Let us know what you find.

Thanks a bunch. I’ll be home from work in about 4 hrs and report what I find. I did check and clean the switches on 1C but I’ll check again for loose wires or bad solder joints.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Thanks a bunch. I’ll be home from work in about 4 hrs and report what I find. I did check and clean the switches on 1C but I’ll check again for loose wires or bad solder joints.

I found a broken wire that I must have missed on 1C. It was pointed downward and hard to see. I ran out of charge on the headlamp so I’ll get to it tonight.

I’ll post later. Thanks again to you and TimMe for leading me there. Fingers crossed.

3 weeks later
#17 2 years ago

Sorry to have not reported back on this but I am just now getting back to working on the Flip a Card (lot of other stuff going on like everyone else).

Turns out I did break both jumper wires that run from 1C to 1A when adjusting the switch stacks. The inside switch on 1C which controls motor runout jumpered to the Red-White power wire on 1A and the 4th switch on 1C which controls playfield contacts jumpered to the 3rd switch on 1A which controls scoring.

Resolved and thanks again to TimMe and ArgosySK for the great help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-a-card-pop-bumpers-and-slingshots-not-scoring-or-chiming?tu=Sea_Wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.