View topic image gallery

755A67E3-53FC-46EF-91F2-E5314DB7B2D3 (resized).jpeg
7316B2C1-77FC-4E90-B5C3-E8F26D80DF60 (resized).jpeg
547FB8D2-E0C0-40A1-9204-1B0958B13807 (resized).jpeg
AS relay adjustment (resized).jpg
IMG_1087 (resized).JPG
IMG_1082 (resized).JPG
5F39C15F-E0C0-4C18-BE04-A05FE085D76C (resized).jpeg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

The blue wire on the X relay is correct.

Let me look at the schematic and see if I can figure out how they hacked that

#52 4 years ago

I assumed that the blue wire was a jumper. They often used short, single color jumper wires to connect things that were close together. The schematic won't show the color of the jumper but will sometimes use -J- in place of a color. Checking the wire colors of the other three switch leaves in the two switches against the schematic might confirm it.

#53 4 years ago

Hey guys, the middle pop bumper is banging and scoring and chiming now with the new coil and extra attention to the switches underneath and at the F relay but as fate would have it, I’ve now got a playfield lights fuse blowing and an apparent short. Solder drips always possible but I kept a cloth underneath.

#54 4 years ago

I understand shorts can be tough to find but do you guys have any inkling of where to start? So far I know only that it’s not in the coin door. Here’s the sequence of events leading to it:

With the power on (I forgot to turn the game off first) I (with help) lifted the front of the game up a few inches to put sliders on the leg leveling feet. Then did the same in the back. I then started a game, removed the ball and lifted the playfield to Check the motion of the weak pop bumper before turning the power off to solder in the new pop bumper coil.

As soon as I began lifting the playfield I saw all the playfield lights suddenly go off. That had never happened before. The game still functioned and scored but no playfield lights. I then turned the power off and soldered in the new coil with a huge cloth to catch any solder drips. After installing the coil, I screwed everything back and checked the lamp socket and new bulb on top (which has never worked) I then power it up and when I started a new game, the playfield lights briefly and dimly came on and the fuse blew and subsequently blew with a new fuse.

The red pop bumper is strong and scores 10 and chimes but not 100. I can’t find the short. I looked at place where my hand might have touched when I lifted the playfield. Maybe some little screw or metal object rolled around when I lifted it up? The lamp socket on the pop bumper? I checked my soldering job on the wires and tabs and it looks like nothing is touching anything it shouldn’t. The other thing I’ll check later is the bank of relays on the left bottom board where the lock and game over relays. Whoever worked or wired them left an uncovered stray wire mess. Thanks guys.

#55 4 years ago

If you soldered a splash is always possible, as is moving a tab on a lamp socket where it is touching ground somewhere. This problem starting with lifting the playfield makes me think something moved and is now touching ground and causing the short.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:If you soldered a splash is always possible, as is moving a tab on a lamp socket where it is touching ground somewhere. This problem starting with lifting the playfield makes me think something moved and is now touching ground and causing the short.

Thanks Scott, I’m getting ready to get the light on it and re-examine everything.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Thanks Scott, I’m getting ready to get the light on it and re-examine everything.

The problem with the short is solved now and no more blown fuses. From the best I can tell it was either a solder tab on a light socket where the 10 of Clubs rollover was which was bent in or the lamp socket on the middle pop which it’s solder tab was pretty close to the metal frame.

I’m going to mark this thread resolved because the only issues left are the hack and the fact that the middle pop won’t light for 100 points. The 0-9 Unit is stepping like it should. Thanks so much to Scott and Mark and others. The Spin Unit is kicking butt.

PM guys if either of you come up with an angle on the hack or the middle pop not scoring 100. I’m going to take Scott’s advice and rebuild all 3 pop bumpers this fall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flip-a-card-pop-bumper-rebuild/page/2?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.