(Topic ID: 285706)

Flintstones resets during play

By ktuhde

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ktuhde.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a Flintstones that started to have an issue with resetting during gameplay. It shuts down and goes back to start a new game. Loses that game’s score and ball count.

It happens maybe one out of every three to five games played. It happens more frequently during multiball, but not every time. I played it a bunch today to try to see if I could determine when it happens. Hard to tell during multiball because so much is going on. But twice it happened with a single ball in play immediately after pushing the flipper button.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction? I’m not experienced at repair but I can follow directions to narrow it down. I don’t know how to use a multimeter, but I just bought one and ready to learn.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the link. Now that I know what to search for I am finding a bunch of info here on pinside. Sometimes it’s hard to find the right topic through the search function. But if you keep digging there seems to be an answer to every problem somewhere in these forums. Thanks again.

#4 3 years ago

I wanted to write a follow up because every time I look at an old thread when searching I always wonder if the problem was resolved.

I went through and did a few things the pinwiki said are easy first steps. Reseating the connectors etc. The boards and connectors all look good. The display board looks like a new rotten dog board and the CPU is a Williams board, but must have been replaced because the inspection tag had a 1999 date.

I checked the voltage on the boards like it said to in the pinwiki The driver board TP2 was 4.94 and on the chip on the cpu board and it was 4.9. That seems to be within the ok range.

Also checked the line voltage at the plug. I realized I have a space heater plugged into an outlet on the same breaker. When I measured voltage with the heater off it is 121-122 and when the heater kicks on it goes to 118-119. So I am thinking that maybe that dropping 3-4 volts while the machine is playing could cause the reset? That could make sense that the problem just started after playing fine for the six months I’ve had it and now that it’s winter I use the heater.

I’ve played a few games and it’s been good. I’ll just have to keep and eye on it. Time will tell.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You can use a Kill-A-Watt meter to see what your voltage is during play, while heater kicks on, etc. A multimeter with logging might be helpful.
I'd be surprised if 3-4 volt drop at the wall caused it but that system is really picky about the 5v.
If 5v mpu dropping is the cause you can use a Kahr board: https://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html
Creates a new source for the 5v that doesn't have the same design deficiency of the original.

I’m new to using a multimeter. I bought a klein mm400 for about $40. I just looked and it does do a min/max. I measured an outlet before turning the heater on, while it’s on, and after it turned off. The max was 122.9 while off and the min was 117.4 while on. Not sure if that is enough to mess with it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 6.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ktuhde.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flintstones-resets-during-play?tu=ktuhde and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.