Topic poll

“Does Flintstones need a shop thread?”

• Sure, why not 8 votes
    89%
  • Nah, Flintstones is documented enough 1 vote
    11%

(9 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bronto skin mounted and clamped2 (resized).jpg
Bronto skin clamp screw2 (resized).jpg
Left ramp turn around (resized).JPG
Left ramp top (resized).JPG
Left ramp entrance (resized).JPG
Left ramp items (resized).JPG
0001b Upper midfield2 (resized).jpg
The Machine exit plastiform (resized).JPG
Under Right Ramp Guides and Posts (resized).JPG
Right Ramp Entrance2 (resized).jpg
Right Ramp Mounts and Switches2 (resized).jpg
Right Ramp Entrance -25 (resized).jpg
Right Ramp components (resized).JPG
Lamp Boards Removed2 (resized).jpg
Joe's Diner_Freds Choice C (resized).JPG
Right Ramp Top (resized).JPG

#1 10 days ago

I have a bunch of pictures and notes I gathered for shopping out a Flintstones playfield. Checking to see if you think it's worth the effort to transcribe here. It will be pretty long, I suppose and will take a while to finish. It's not a guide exactly, but it will have, hopefully, some useful sequencing info and other tid-bits that might assist someone brave enough to tackle shopping out a Trudeau design. They are not for the faint-of-heart!

It will be a bunch of posts like this one...so check it out and vote if I should keep going or give it a rest already.

--

On every other game that I can remember, I always start with the apron. This being Flintstones, I started with the apron "attempt" and ran into trouble on step one. The apron itself is: 2 long panhead machine screws in the flipper lanes; 2 e-clips for the ramp return ball diverters; 2 11/32 nuts with washers above and below the plastic on the risers at the top of the slings; 2 long wood screws underfield up into the molded standoffs.

001 Apron slings Area2 (resized).jpg
Left Return Ball Diverter2 (resized).jpg
Right Return Ball Diverter (resized).JPG

This gets the apron loose, but it has to mount straight up and down, and you can see in the pic that the left return rail is on top of the apron plastic, so that rail has to be loosened enough to slide up enough to clear the apron. So I had to leave the apron in place and forge onward...

Please vote yea or nay if you want to see more...

#2 9 days ago

Leaving the apron for the time being, I removed the buildings on the left and right sides. Left has three long 1/4" hex head wood screws, right side has 2. Both sides have long, metal brackets fastened to the playfield rails with 1/4" hex head wood screws.
Left Buildings etc (resized).JPG
Right Buildings etc (resized).JPG
Right Buildings Bracket2 (resized).jpg

#3 6 days ago

Next comes Joe's Diner billboard: small machine screw at the bottom into post; 5/16" locknut at the top.
Joe's Diner_Freds Choice C (resized).JPG
Then unplug all the underfield connectors with harnesses that pass through the playfield: Fred's choice C and right ramp; left ramp and rail; wires going to the Machine top left; bundle of three top center of field.
Lamp Boards Removed2 (resized).jpg
Remove the right ramp:
Right Ramp Entrance (resized).JPGRight Ramp Mounts and Switches (resized).JPGRight Ramp Top (resized).JPG
plastic #-25 is under ramp so pull the ramp (right post) then -25 plastic and Fred's choice C with cable down through with 11/32" locknuts on risers; with flat washers above and below plastic and a washer under the riser at the playfield to prevent riser from sinking into the field. Similar shown.
001c Riser gets washer (2) (resized).JPG001b Apron Riser gets Washer (resized).JPG
Right ramp components:Right Ramp components (resized).JPG

#4 4 days ago

Great! Following...

#5 4 days ago

Thanks for sharing and I recently bought a Flintstones. I had to remove the apron so I could cut and install the inlane decals I printed. I also removed the buildings on both sides to light them up with LED strips too. I will be following and marked this as one of my favorites in case one day I need to reference it for a full tear down.

#6 4 days ago

I love threads like this. Share away!

#7 4 days ago

Thanks, guys. I had to pause for a bit because I didn't get a good pic of the -25 plastic with the ramp off. It's the purple plastic right behind the right ramp right post.
Right Ramp Entrance -25 (resized).jpg
That guy.

So the right ramp has two 11/32" nuts with washers over and under the plastic.
Right Ramp Mounts and Switches2 (resized).jpg
I also put a washer under these risers to prevent further sinking into the plastic.
Then the screw on the left post and a 5/16" nut on the right, which also holds Fred's Choice C bracket.
Right Ramp Entrance2 (resized).jpg
The right ramp should now slide out of the apron slots and come free. The risers removed above should have freed up plastic -6.

More to come...

#8 4 days ago

IM about to throw mine on a rotisserie.
Following. I need a complete teardown. Glass broke and its embedded in everything. Arrghhh!

#9 2 days ago

Once you get the right ramp out, here's what's under
Under Right Ramp Guides and Posts (resized).JPG

NOTE: If you need to rebuild the upper flipper, do so now with the right ramp off. You cannot slide the bat and shaft up and out with the ramp installed.

Now Fred's Choice A plastic over BED targets. 2 5/16" nuts.
Then the screw for the left return rail. Long 1/4" hex head screw with two washers over and a solid metal spacer below rails. Just above the lower shell on the left side.

Here is where I wiggled the apron free.

HOWEVER, the keystone of the playfield is The Machine's exit plasti-form. The left return rail and apron will probably be quite a bit easier to remove with this piece loose.
The Machine exit plastiform (resized).JPG
Just count on installing this little item last.

Slide the left return rail down and remove the dict-a-bird: two 1/4" hex head wood screws.
Now that left return rail can rotate out.
Grab the washers at the top of the risers mounted on the upper sling posts.

More to come...

#10 7 hours ago

I pulled the left ramp next. Two 1/4" hex head machine screws in posts either side of the entrance; one 11/32" nut about half way up on a riser stud with washers above and below plastic.

0001b Upper midfield2 (resized).jpg

It fits snugly between the bottom of The Machine and bowling pin bracket. Here's the left ramp parts:

Left ramp entrance (resized).JPG

Left ramp turn around (resized).JPGLeft ramp top (resized).JPGLeft ramp items (resized).JPG

Now that the ramp is out of the way, you have access to the Bronto skin clamp.

Bronto skin mounted and clamped2 (resized).jpgBronto skin clamp screw2 (resized).jpg

Don't take the screw all the way out. Just loosen it a bit so the skin can slide out undamaged.

More to come...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside