Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
bettwilm.jpg
FS_555-LED.jpg
Popeye.jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

yes l like it thanks

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Popeye for me is better . The post Atomicboy put is spot on except I have no problem with the hidden shots . Great rules great Vid mode and great Callouts. it does not deserve the crap it gets . I am a Big Steve Ritchie fan as well and SR comments does not change how I feel about the pin . Great bang for your buck 1500 and cheaper most times

As a newer Popeye owner...I have only had it since the Louisville show...and yes I was searching for one prior to finding it!
I had played Popeye and Flintstones prior to getting my Popeye. Flintstones is a fun game, I like John Trudeau's games, and own a Congo. I don't think a lot of people give Popeye a chance. I think the theme turns a lot of people off, but it has some fun shots and interesting modes, and the speech and voice calls are AWESOME! Mine actually still had the original ROMS in it when I got it, I have since updated it to the latest ROMS and there are more voice calls than it had originally which makes it even better!
Like Atomicboy said, you have to do a lot of tweaks to get it working properly, and I am still tweaking mine. I have the ramps working properly now, but I am still working on the lock. Sometimes it still kicks a ball out that should lock...and often when it does it kicks SDTM and the ball save doesn't give it back to you. The animal ramp does block the left outlane, if the lower portion of it had been a wireform that could've worked out better. The skill shot while interesting and innovative is too easy after getting used to it, you can hit what you want about 90% of the time. This also leads to the unbalanced scoring in the game, lite lock, lock ball, lite lock, lock ball, lite lock, lock ball...MULTIBALL...The lite lock should not have been part of the skill shot. If this was not an option it would be harder to get the Bluto multiball. I am actually going to attempt to block this on my game for a league session coming up at my house, so that you are forced to play the other modes and complete some of the other MBs for a bigger score rather than just getting the Bluto MB and getting the Jackpot over and over as it increases each time you get it. Hopefully this can even out the scoring on the game. It is a cool mode based game when you try to complete them all and get to the save Olive MB.
The upper PF does block some shots, but it has some fun shots as well, finding Sweet Pea is tough, but can be done. The upper PF does block some shots up around the pops, but really only 2, the up kicker for the animal ramp and the one to start the Bluto modes. It is frustrating when you shoot the ball up there and it ends up in the pops rather than where you thought it should go, but backhanding these shots is an option if you try! IMO Flintstones has just as many blocked shots as Popeye, and it has the reverse return lanes that are confusing till you get used to them. A first time player would not be looking for the ball to come to the opposite flipper...
My Popeye is in very nice shape, and now that I have cleaned it up LEDd it and I am working on getting it tweaked and playing great, then I will take it to some shows so everyone can play it. I really want to get a Color DMD for it, but I am still working on talking hubby into that! Flintstones is a fun game, and I like it but Popeye is right there with it if not more so IMO!

Phoebe

#53 11 years ago

Well... I'm In..... Flintstones. Played Popeye, not impressed. Flintstones.... I grew up with The Great Gazoo and Mr. Slate, so I'm biased here, but there seems more to do and when you bring Flintstones back to the cartoon look vrs. The junk movie, the pin looks and plays great. The bowling with Barney " booing" is a hoot and the " smart" ball-return lanes are epic. Cool modes, nice multi balls and Bedrock has just been rediscovered, yet again! ~SpOoKy

#54 11 years ago

Phoebe - the pluto scoop was an issue on mine and I'm trying to figure out what the issue was. I recall between taking it completely apart and readjusting the switches and updating the roms, that was rectified. It was annoying at first, but one of those things fixed it.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I bet if a HEP restored Popeye came up for sale or a NIB/mint HUO, you would not be able to resist getting it

Marco actually had one listed as "In Stock" like less than 2 months ago, but not anymore. Was this a mistake or did someone buy it??

#56 11 years ago

How can people not like the Popeye theme? He's a bad ass,& allways has been!! One of my favorite cartoons of all time!!!

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

The animal ramp does block the left outlane, if the lower portion of it had been a wireform that could've worked out better.

I played a Premier 'Surf 'n Safari' last weekend; look what they did on the right ramp return:
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2461&picno=14151&zoom=1

The ramp is yellow except for the lower part, which is clear. Would have been nice to have the Popeye animal ramp like that.

#58 11 years ago

I would rather play Popeye than have to look at Rosie's mug on that pf. ughh

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

How can people not like the Popeye theme? He's a bad ass,& allways has been!! One of my favorite cartoons of all time!!!

haha. maybe because im <30 years old and haven't seen a whole lot of Popeye?

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Phoebe - the pluto scoop was an issue on mine and I'm trying to figure out what the issue was. I recall between taking it completely apart and readjusting the switches and updating the roms, that was rectified. It was annoying at first, but one of those things fixed it.

I have changed ROMS, had the Bluto scoop off of there a couple times, adjusted switches, cleaned it, added washers...and it is still doing it. I am going to pull it back out of there this weekend and do it all again and see if that does it. If you think of anything else let me know.
@ Koen yes that would be cool if they would have made the bottom section of the animal ramp clear!!

Phoebe

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I would rather play Popeye than have to look at Rosie's mug on that pf. ughh

Get the overlay delay, booyah!

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

How can people not like the Popeye theme?

Because its more of a "save the animals" theme than Popeye.

#64 11 years ago

Flintstones for me

#65 11 years ago

Wow..SR, really hates Popeye..

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow..SR, really hates Popeye..

More so, I don't think he likes Python. I have read they got into some nasty fights while at Williams.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Without the changes I made, I would have thought so as well. I like the look, some of the stuff is a little kiddish, but the wood deck PF and aprong and sides that make it look like a boat is kid of cool I think.
As I noted above, I'd be curious to see how many people can say they have beat the wizard and found sweet pea. Two of the hardest things I have come across in pinball.

I found one that looked NIB and I played it for 2 hours trying to find something good to say about it, after all it's a pinball machine and even the worst ones have some good aspects. I could not make the shots to get anything started just as you were saying. You cannot make the ramp shots and you cant see others to hit them. I walked away saying that I having really tried to like it but couldn't. Maybe with all the changes you mentioned I could have as rule set sounds cool and Popeye is a icon like bugs bunny. I watched a lot of him as a kid.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

haha. maybe because im <30 years old and haven't seen a whole lot of Popeye?

29 here and I grew up on popeye and 3 stooges. Don't blame your age

#69 11 years ago

Also saw this in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. Read the ingredients carefully

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#70 11 years ago

If they weren't upside down I could read it.

#71 11 years ago

Right side up on mine. iPhone is not friendly with uploading photos here

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I found one that looked NIB and I played it for 2 hours trying to find something good to say about it, after all it's a pinball machine and even the worst ones have some good aspects. I could not make the shots to get anything started just as you were saying. You cannot make the ramp shots and you cant see others to hit them. I walked away saying that I having really tried to like it but couldn't. Maybe with all the changes you mentioned I could have as rule set sounds cool and Popeye is a icon like Bugs Bunny. I watched a lot of him as a kid.

This is the problem. Mine was HUO, and same thing. Felt fresh off the assembly line, but nothing worked right, shot wise.

I really feel the changes I made are a must for the machine to even start to understand it. It really is quite fun after you alter it, but really is quite unplayable if you don't.

A neat thing for Pinside for each machine would be a list of recommended updates/upgrades/mods, and by mods I don’t mean esthetic, but stuff like this, so people not knowing could see when researching their new machine that there are some badly needed changes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 6.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flintstones-or-popeye/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.