You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New_Marco_Part.jpg
BOTH_backsides.jpg
Both_Frontsides.jpg
#1 11 years ago

OK . . . left flipper quit in middle of game. Just died, no response. Checked flipper function in test mode and works fine both low power hold and high power flip.

Think I narrowed it down to the opto board BUT I ordered the A-20207-P from Marco and here is what happens:

I pulled the old opto, replaced it with new, plugged in the connector to the board, closed the coin door and the left flipper moved up to the "low power hold" position.

Don't know much but I'm sure that is not expected behavior . . . there are two interlock switches on the Flinstones coin door and the top switch is causing the flipper behavior.

I've attached pics of the new opto and the old one for reference - did I just order the wrong one???

Of note also . . . when I replaced the new opto with the old - voila! The left flipper worked for about 2 minutes . . . then dead again.

HELP!

Both_Frontsides.jpgBoth_Frontsides.jpg BOTH_backsides.jpgBOTH_backsides.jpg New_Marco_Part.jpgNew_Marco_Part.jpg

#2 11 years ago

If you suspect the flipper opto switches then you should be testing those in the switch edge test menu not swapping boards and seeing how flippers behave. Each opto board has two opto switches so both should show up in the switch edge test when you press the flipper button. Start there.

As for the flipper energizing, if that comes up as soon as you power on the game, you have another problem unrelated to flipper switches. Unfortunately, it wasn't made very clear in your description.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks Markmon . . . here is the update:

I ran the single switch test (using the old opto) and can not get the left flipper button to show "closed" in the switch test. I can see the dot on the DMD light up but no beep and no change in status from "open". So now the flipper does not work either in test or in play (see my last point to understand why it might have worked in one and not the other before)

. . . now, when I put the new opto in from Marco the EOS switch in test shows closed immediately, thus when I close the coin door, the safety switch that cuts actual power to the flipper de-activates and allows the left flipper to move upward to the hold position.

. . . and (one more important thing) when I placed the OLD (original) opto back into position, It started working for a minute, then quit again. I reached under the playfield and wiggeled it lightly and got it to work once in a while by wiggling the bottom opto (the small black boxes) slightly. I'm suspecting a solder joint that has broken or cracked? And I'm suspecting I have a bad "new opto" from Marco because it registers "closed" instantly when I should be open. Tried installing it 3 times with same result

#4 11 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on this since I've recently completed more testing?

#5 11 years ago

Looking at the back of your old opto board, the header solder joints look toasty and burnt. I would carefully try to reflow (remove and add new solder) to those header pins and I'll bet you'll be golden.

#6 11 years ago

What happens if you put it in switch test without the opto interruptors installed on the board? Do they show closed? What happens if you pass a business card or something to interrupt the opto beam without the interruptor installed?

#7 11 years ago

Thanks to Robertmee and johnwartjr too for these next ideas. I will try these and report back

#8 11 years ago

Thanks all for the feedback. Took the easy way (thanks Robertmee) and pulled the flipper opto board and reflowed all the joints, re-installed and worked perfectly! Played many games to be certain. Still do NOT know why the new replacement part from Marco did not work. When installed it pushed the flipper up immediately into the low power hold position - strange indeed.

#9 11 years ago

Congrats

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flintstones-mystery-and-misery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.