• Latest reply 10 years ago by 0geist0
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I am having some problems with my Flinstones.
Here is the Switch Matrix I am having problems with.

The items marked red do not work properly.
The items marked green on same row work fine.

Is it possible to have a faulty u-19 that 5 of the 7 switches work?

The 2 single targets do nothing. The middle of the 3 bank target does not register when knocked down so they do not pop up.
D rollover target at top does not register.

Ball popper sometimes works and sometimes does not. But on machine startup it pops 4 or 5 times.

I have cleaned the opto's and resoldered the popper connections. Checked all switches for shorts. I have continuity on the white/blue wire all the way from the bottom of chain to the plug J209-7. Taking out the CPU board and checked solder connections and possible bad tracks looks like new. Tracks ok.

It did work when I first got the machine and developed this fault. After 2 days the fault went away now it has reared it's ugly head.

Any suggestions as I am completely stumped.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#2 10 years ago

bump

#3 10 years ago

Stupid question, but did ya try to reseat the connectors between the CPU and the power driver board? My own Flintstones had random issues to the point that even Clive Jones was stumped, this after he rebuilt the power driver board. You can also pull the batteries out and let it sit for 24 hours and default to factory settings and see if something in the memory is corrupt. Again, I had like issues and my own " demon" was a bad security chip on the CPU. Hang in there~SoOoKy

#4 10 years ago

Hi thanks for the advice. I have pulled the batteries. Tomorrow I will try what I read on wiki making a lead and attaching to pin 1 and testing the other end on the switch matrix pins to see if the problem is on the board.

The problem did correct itself once and now its back again. I have made sure all chips are pressed in and have cleaned the opto's and resoldered the connections on the top popper.

I have also checked with my phone camera the transmitter is working.

When I turn the machine on the top popper pops about 4 to 7 times then stops.

Regards David

#5 10 years ago

bad switch diode?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from alchy999:

Hi thanks for the advice. I have pulled the batteries. Tomorrow I will try what I read on wiki making a lead and attaching to pin 1 and testing the other end on the switch matrix pins to see if the problem is on the board.
The problem did correct itself once and now its back again. I have made sure all chips are pressed in and have cleaned the opto's and resoldered the connections on the top popper.
I have also checked with my phone camera the transmitter is working.
When I turn the machine on the top popper pops about 4 to 7 times then stops.
Regards David

This is one of those long answers so people might not be quick to respond. Problems like this can be lots of things, your on the right track with jumping out the pins from the board. Reseating ribbon cables is another, checking for signs of battery leakage is another, even if it's past leakage. Good luck, just finished my Flintstones, great underrated game.

#7 10 years ago

I have reseated all connectors several times and ribbon cables.

I have changed all diodes on all switches that were not working even though my dmm tester said they were good.

Took apart all targets and cleaned and checked them for shorts.

Found a burnt and stripped wire on one of the coils repaired that.

No battery leakage its a wpc -s MPU board so battery is housed in front of the board on its own dedicated pcb.

Removed connectors j206/207 and j212 clipped a homemade wires with crocodile clips on to J207 pin 1. Then other end touched to J209 and tested each pin to make sure they worked and showed only the switch that was relevant. Repaeated this across all pins of J207 everything tested out ok.

This points to problem not being on the MPU board.

I also tested continuity of the white/blue wire all the way from the connector to the end of chain and every switch in between. All was good.

Tested the voltage of pin 7 of j209 Blue/White and it was putting out 11.87 vdc

11.83 Vdc was also showing on each switch on the playfield.

The 3 target left bank is not registering on the sensor opto on the (E) of BED centre opto also happens to be the white/blu wire

I have a feeling it may be U19 or the security chip.

#8 10 years ago

Wow. Thorough troubleshooting!
I'm super impressed and keeping my fingers crossed you get it figured out soon.
Hopefully it's nothing too difficult to fix.
And looking on the bright side, you now know your flintstones like the back of your hand.

#9 10 years ago

I think if the switches work when you jump them out tells you your CPU is OK. I would think somethings isn't wired properly on the playfield, I would go start looking for a wire in the wrong place or a diode on backwards or something like that.

#10 10 years ago

Taking a break after 5 straight hours.

I will double check the wires tomorrow and diodes again. plus anything else you cant think of.

pin 7 of j209 should 12v right?

#11 10 years ago

Just checked all diodes they are correct orientation.

I just have found something that may help someone solve this for me.

The Switches on the row that work (2) give 12.2 vdc

The (5) switches on the row that do not work give me infinitum Vdc the meter keeps on going up and up to over 208vdc.

See my previous diagram to see which ones in row work ones that are green (2) of them and (5) in red that do not.

Cheers David

#12 10 years ago

Well what a day it's been but I managed to get the problem sorted. One of the working switches has 2 blue wires going to it under very close inspection one of the wires had been soldered on by the plastic sleeve the wire wasn't even making contact it was still inside the sleeve. Plastic soldered to a metal tab.

However I am sure it was more than this as the many things I covered today was an experience and I managed to find other things that needed fixing or tidied up. I probably cured any other problems before hand.

Regards Dave

#13 10 years ago

Congrats Dave!

#14 10 years ago

Nice Dave! Its always a great feeling when you find the problem. Thanks for sharing a solution others may need in time. Have fun in "Bedrock"~SpOoKy

#15 10 years ago

The funny thing was I never found it in the day light. My light had blown this evening and the room was dark I was using a led torch and the pure white light actually helped.

All I can say is Yabba Dabbah Doo!

#16 10 years ago

Don't you just love that Ah ha moment?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 6.95
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flintstones-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.