View topic image gallery

DSCN5534.jpg
doofus.png
DSCN5529.jpg
DSCN5528.jpg
DSCN5527.jpg
DSCN5525.jpg
DSCN5523.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Now although I've been familiarising myself with the Arduino-based coding framework for this controller, I've not had time yet to start putting together something for Flight 2000. Yet I still want to give the boards a quick run. So I installed them, but only connected up the lamp drivers for the moment.
DSCN5528.JPG
I uploaded the code to each of the 3 Arduinos (one acts as a master running the main game code, one handles multi channel sound and the other handles the displays). The game code I uploaded was Jim's example from his High Voltage game (which was a retheme of a Future Spa). That code boots into an attract mode, so I figured if just the lamps were connected at least we can see what happens.
So, power on...... and the displays come up....
DSCN5529.JPG
Now they look a little odd. But they were a somewhat hokey even with the original MPU board in, so I probably need to chase down some connector issues. But they're displaying values, which means the display Arduino is doing it's job.
And the lamps?
» YouTube video

Quoted from sven:

No, seriously: really cool! Both Jim having designed this board and send his first boards to customers, as well as you starting this game.

Great progress Mark. It really makes me happy to see another project start up using my boards. More boards will be leaving the workshop soon to for other peoples projects.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

With this setup adding a DMD isn't possible. To be honest, that's why I decided to do it - keeping the original displays makes things easier, and I already have a "hard" project with my F14.
Initially I'm going to code up the game to play the original rules. That way I don't have to think too hard and it'll be a great way to get used to the programming framework.
For the future, I'm thinking around different options with the ball lock. We could speed up game play some by keeping a ball staged in the final ball position at the top of the playfield, so if a ball goes up the left lane to the locks, the staged ball could be kicked out right away to continue the game (assuming you don't want the ball to remain locked).

What are your thoughts on sound and music for F2K15? Are you going to sample the original sounds then add some background music into the mix, or add totally new sounds, music and speech? Do you have a specific genre in mind?

1 month later
#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

So I finally managed to get a quiet day for this project and I'm pleased with the progress.
I have all the switches, lamps and coils numbered and mapped properly now and some very basic rules in place. So now I can start a game, hitting the various rollover switches will spot the letters in "BLASTOFF" as they should. I have the right hand drop target bank resetting when all three have been hit, the flippers and jet bumpers and 4 slingshots are responding as they should and scoring a few points. So it's playing a very basic 3 ball game, with ballsave.
Mapping the coils and lamps was a fairly long winded process, not helped by the Stern manual grouping things in a wacky order and having some mistakes in, but now they're squared away we're good.
I'm going to continue working on this as a single ball game at the moment, to continue getting familiar with the framework and fleshing out the easy parts. Once that's done I need to chew on adding code to handle the 3 balls along with the locking mechanism.
So all in all very happy with the way things are going. Thanks to Jim for letting me bounce questions and comments off him during the day! Here's a fairly rubbish video just showing that the game starts up, flippers and slings and BLASTOFF rollovers are working and the game going back into attract mode after the last ball. The eagle eyed among you will see the match number being played out at the end on the display too.
» YouTube video

Looking good Mark. No problem with the help, happy to be here as a support point. The more games that get going the better we can make the framework and system. I've got to email you shortly about a display update I want to test with you to.

1 month later
#37 8 years ago

Awesome work mark. Great to see the bonus count up working on another game. Also loving the lock movement and the blastoff lamp strobes

#43 8 years ago

Nice one Mark. Good to chat today and help work though this. One other thing, the newer design driver board should allow for much better response of multiple devices during multiballs when there are more than 1 ball flying about. Each device can be controlled independently of any other, unlike the original bally driver board.

1 week later
#50 8 years ago

Nice one Mark. Looking forward to seeing how it plays when you get back home

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2k15-software-rewrite-for-flight-2000?tu=applejuice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.