Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200114_133457 (resized).jpg

#1 5 days ago

I've been working on a Flight 2k and I need help. When I bought it, I took an Ultimate MPU board over and it booted right up so I bought it. Then it started resetting constantly. Since then I have replaced the Power Driver board, the rectifier board, and replaced every connector in it, and recapped the sound boards. Still getting reboot. Every now and again, it will boot a game, but on the displays, only the 3rd player shows anything and it shows
_ 0 , 0 0 (dashes represent blank digits) and shortly after it resets.

I've tried 3 different MPUs and 3 different power supplies. Depending what power driver board is in, I'm either getting 4.9vdc or up to 5.2vdc on the MPU board. I've tried disconnecting sound boards and light boards with no changes in behavior.

#2 5 days ago

Does the resets happen only during game play or while just sitting in attract mode?

The slam switches in the cabinet and on the coin door are wired into the MPU board reset circuitry.
Try disconnecting them - temporarily remove the wire at pin 13 of connector J4 at the MPU board and see what happens.

#3 5 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does the resets happen only during game play or while just sitting in attract mode?
The slam switches in the cabinet and on the coin door are wired into the MPU board reset circuitry.
Try disconnecting them - temporarily remove the wire at pin 13 of connector J4 at the MPU board and see what happens.

It mostly doesn't even get to attract mode, when you turn it on, it flashes 7 times then beeps then starts the count over again. Every now and again, maybe once every 20 30 times I turn it on, it will get to attract mode then let me credit a game and when I hit start button it resets again.

I do not have a wire on Pin 13 at J4. I always take photos of the wires before rebuilding them. This is the original photo. Pin 14 should be the key that you see. (Before anyone comments, yes there is a loose connector in the original photo, these have since been rebuilt)

20200114_133457 (resized).jpg
#4 3 days ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I do not have a wire on Pin 13 at J4.

Ah sorry about that, looks like it's only the later MPU-200 game Sterns that use that hardware reset on the slam switches.

Quoted from futurepinhead:

Depending what power driver board is in, I'm either getting 4.9vdc or up to 5.2vdc

The factory solenoid driver boards will output 5.2 - 5.3 volts. The aftermarket solenoid driver boards with switch mode 5 volt supplies will output closer to 5.0 volts.

Have you tried isolating components off the circuit one at a time? i.e. completely disconnect the sound board. Disconnect the lamp driver board and speech board, disconnect the switch harness off the MPU board (J2 and J3), etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside