IMG_2142 (resized).JPG
IMG_2142 (resized).JPG
IMG_2141 (resized).JPG
IMG_2140 (resized).JPG
IMG_2139 (resized).JPG
IMG_2138 (resized).JPG
IMG_2137 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

It has none, lol. Hey guys, trying to figure out why the speech isn't working. Got the game up and running well and located the SB-300 and vs-100 boards. Did some research and have the 17 switch in the on position and also checked the 5 pin and #14 capacitor on the SB-300 board like it was suggested for continuity before trying the jumper mod on the SB-300 board. so the SB-300 board has continuity and from what i understand, the jumper mod isn't recommended.
Any other ideas or things I should try or look at. I do have sound, so I'm not sure what to try next. The guy I got the vs-100 board said it had the right speech rom in it, but I'm debating whether or not to find one.

#2 7 years ago

Wiggle your ribbon cables coming from the mpu mine were causing a speech issue before i replaced them

#3 7 years ago

DJR, I have wiggled them. Actually I bought new ones as I didn't have any.

#4 7 years ago

Is the GI working in the game? Fuse F5 is good?

#5 7 years ago

Spy, yes the GI is working. i researched here first and checked everything I've found. i was hoping that the fix would be the jumper wire fix on the SB-300 sound board, but from what I've researched is that if I have continuity on the board on pin 5 and cap #14, the jumper isn't required.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from zooman:

DJR, I have wiggled them. Actually I bought new ones as I didn't have any.

got pics of how all the cables are connected ?

EDIT: also is MPU switch #17 on ? http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Manual.pdf

#7 6 years ago

IMG_2137 (resized).JPGIMG_2137 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

IMG_2138 (resized).JPGIMG_2138 (resized).JPG

IMG_2139 (resized).JPGIMG_2139 (resized).JPG

IMG_2140 (resized).JPGIMG_2140 (resized).JPG

IMG_2141 (resized).JPGIMG_2141 (resized).JPG

IMG_2142 (resized).JPGIMG_2142 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

IMG_2142 (resized).JPGIMG_2142 (resized).JPG

IMG_2144 (resized).JPGIMG_2144 (resized).JPG

IMG_2143 (resized).JPGIMG_2143 (resized).JPG

IMG_2145 (resized).JPGIMG_2145 (resized).JPG

IMG_2146 (resized).JPGIMG_2146 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

I found this thread, I hadn't clicked through all the links though ... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-bally-s-t-stern-sb-300-and-vsu-100

did you do the self test with the buttons on the coin door ?

it looks like U9 on the VSU-100 board was replaced at some point.

oooh the orange #17 connector on VSU-100 board, a black wire looks to have some strands loose & there is some soot around it ... I don't know the pin number or it's function , a wiggle there might reveal something

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

I found this thread, I hadn't clicked through all the links though ... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-bally-s-t-stern-sb-300-and-vsu-100
did you do the self test with the buttons on the coin door ?
it looks like U9 on the VSU-100 board was replaced at some point
oooh the orange #17 connector on VSU-100 board, a black wire looks to have some strands loose & there is some soot around it ... I don't know the pin number or it's function , a wiggle there might reveal something

#12 6 years ago

On the VSU-100, TP1 should be +5vdc, TP2 should be ground, TP3 should be -10vdc.

What do you measure on the non-working one?

#13 6 years ago

First and foremost, thanks for all of the help guys.
chas, I get like 6 sounds when I go through the coin door functions test. They are just the noises that are from the sounds during game play. I haven't addressed the #17 connector yet. When I got several games that had been in storage for some time, several of the connectors had this green grease looking substance on them. it looked like someone had tried contact grease at some time and from the battery damage it looked like the grease turned green. but I put new molex connectors there and it's the substance that is still on the outside of the connector.
Spy: tp1 read .16 I thought tp2 was another loop and got 5.4 vdc and had my ground on the head ground strap and tp 3 was -9.4. Should I use tp2 as the ground and recheck tp 1 and 3?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from zooman:

Spy: tp1 read .16 I thought tp2 was another loop and got 5.4 vdc and had my ground on the head ground strap and tp 3 was -9.4. Should I use tp2 as the ground and recheck tp 1 and 3?

Yes, try it with TP2 as ground and recheck TP1 and TP3.

I am not sure why it would measure different though. If the board isn't getting a good connection to GND maybe that's part of the problem.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from zooman:

I got those same reading using the ground strap as you did

With MPU-dip-switch 17 off disabling voice for a game, in test mode after solenoids fired & sound check the voice did come through as well.

the pinside link above the OP said he had trouble programming the sound chip with a newer chip burner & I am only guessing that may be the trouble

Quoted from jonbatson:

I also feel that a reliable method of reprogramming EPROMs would be useful. I have two programmers and a combination of the older and very slow machine able to program 2532, 2716 and 2732 EPROMs to be invaluable. My newer machine with all it’s plethora of capabilities (like all its current ilk) can’t manage 2532s – so the old one still has its place.
I appreciate most hobbyists don’t have that luxury.
Jon Batson (19/12/14)

#16 6 years ago

ok, i read the TP 1 using TP 2 as ground and got -5.24 vdc and on TP 3 got -14 vdc.
Chas, I'll try flipping dp switch 17 off and try test mode.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from zooman:

ok, i read the TP 1 using TP 2 as ground and got -5.24 vdc and on TP 3 got -14 vdc.
Chas, I'll try flipping dp switch 17 off and try test mode.

I did get similar values doing same here

I was hoping you didn't get speech simply because it was disabled as a game feature. whether enabled or not, it should be heard in test mode on coin door.

hmmmmmmmmm, does the game have General Illumination ?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-sounds-work-but-no-speech-in-flight-2000-crazy-solution#post-3654152

#18 6 years ago

Did the dip switch off and no speech doing the test mode from the coin door. GI are working as this was the first thing I read about. I've read where several people have done the jumper fix on the SB-300 board to get speech, but as I researched that it was suggested to check continuity on pin 5 and cap 14 before doing the jumper mod. i have continuity so I haven't done the jumper fix.

#19 6 years ago

the black wire on the J4 connector looks frayed

zoomans VSU-100 frayed wire (resized).jpgzoomans VSU-100 frayed wire (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

chas, I redid the molex on that yesterday to see if anything changed after my last post. Everything is still the same.

#21 6 years ago

Is there anyone out there that can check the vsu-100 board, kinda at a loss as where to go from here.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from zooman:

Is there anyone out there that can check the vsu-100 board, kinda at a loss as where to go from here.

perhaps change the title of the thread adding "unsolved VSU-100 problem" . it may pique the interest of others with a higher skill set than mine at this post.

#23 6 years ago

I had a guy on Ebay take a look at pics of my SB-300 board and verified i needed to do the jumper mod on the back of the board. I got speech!!!!!

#24 6 years ago

awesome \o/

earlier I had to google what the "jumper mod" was and figured you did a continuity test between the 2 points and thought it was ok

I never removed either board on my table to see if a jumper was there or not

someone noted to me somplace it was prolly the same voice actor that did Sterns Berserk arcade cab

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-speech-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.