• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7682[1] (resized).JPG
QHEB6870[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2216 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago

Were you able to check out the related switches suggested in the response to you in the Flight 2000 Club thread?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

4. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
After a few times of doing this the game ends.

What switches is this third ball hitting when the drop target solenoid fires or is it just sitting in the shooter lane?

You probably should also check the diodes on each of the five drop target switches to rule them out.

#10 2 years ago

Good experiment chas10e

DanMarino when you are observing what happens, pay attention for any phantom points scoring, other solenoids firing (slings/bumpers) or letters being made. This will help narrow down what row or column in the switch matrix where the problem is.

Repeat test, but after starting the game unplug J3 from the MPU (bottom right connector of MPU). This will remove the cabinet switches so we can hopefully rule them out.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm a little confused and nervous about unplugging the J3 from the MPU with the power on. Hopefully it goes fine. haha.

Yep, I get that. Before powering the game on, make sure the connector is not too stuck.

Or alternatively, find the coin door connector on the door harness near the front of the game and unplug that instead after starting the game.

Oh, any upper level techs in the wings...don’t hesitate to grab the wheel if there are other tests or theories to put out.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I found this on the pinwiki for bally/stern. I'm not smart enough to fully understand what it is saying, but I was wondering if this could have something to do with my switch 33 showing closed when it looks open?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Switch_Matrix
"Also, the switch commonly referred to as "switch 33" on a Bally or Stern CPU board, and used to reset audits and bookkeeping, is not part of the switch matrix either. This switch receives a signal from the 6800 CPU chip, and when closed, sends the signal to ground. Starting with the first MPU-200 Stern game, Meteor, Stern added a second switch to the inside of the coin door to serve the purpose of remotely resetting audits and bookkeeping. The signal for this secondary switch is tied to the input line of switch 33, and leaves the CPU board via connection A4J3-5. Its return line is sent to ground via a daisy-chained lead to the self test switch."

Good info. Another reason to unplug the coin door after starting a game in your testing process.

If it’s not a wiring or component problem on the playfield, or a coin door problem, it’ll be a more involved MPU issue.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks again. I'll give the troubleshooting a go tonight after work. I'll start with the switch text using the button inside the coin door. I'll remove the balls, and have the stand up targets all up.
I'll remove the J2 and J3 connectors and see if it shows 0 for the switch errors.
I'll also mess around with putting the 2 balls into the locker/launcher and then note what happens.

Good plan. When you put the balls back in you’ll need to put J2 back on so the playfield switches are connected.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

1. I removed the J2 and J3 connectors from the MPU board and reconnected them.
2. I moved all of the drop targets up.
3. I removed the balls.
4. I did the switch test and got a 0.
5. I rolled a ball over all of the switches to make sure they registered and all was fine.
6. I started a game.
7. I put 1 ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
8. I put a second ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
9. I knocked down targets and switches and all seemed fine. So I turned the game off and restarted.
10. The game worked perfectly and I got my high score. Haha!
I guess reseating the J2 and J3 connectors fixed the problem.
Lesson learned. At least now I have a bunch of diodes to start replacing the old ones with.
Thank you to everyone who assisted, especially emsrph. I don't really understand why it is working now, but we will keep playing it and see if it malfunctions again.
[quoted image]

Glad it's working again. This might resurface and require re-pinning the connectors. That'll give you something to read about and prepare for in between getting new high scores!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm back. The problem is back. The switch test using the coin door says that switch #33 is closed. That's the right out hole again.
I removed the J2 connector from the MPU board and got a flashing 0.
My understanding is that this tells me that the problem is under the playfield, is this correct?

That's my understanding. Time to start checking switch diodes, switch capacitors, switch gaps, switch wire shorts to other components.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I think I solved it. I replaced the leaf switch for the right out hole and the switch tab that the black wires connected to had broken.

Glad you solved it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-problem-after-2-balls-get-locked?tu=emsrph and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.