• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7682[1] (resized).JPG
QHEB6870[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2216 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanMarino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Our Flight 2000 developed a major problem today. Here is what happens.

1. Start a game. Ball #1 gets ejected from the outhole.
1. Get Ball#1 into the ball locker. First Stage Go. Next ball gets ejected from the outhole.
2. Get next ball into the ball locker. Second Stage Go. Next ball gets ejected from the outhole.
3. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
4. Outhole solenoid and the 5 bank drop target solenoid activates and the game thinks I drained a ball.
After a few times of doing this the game ends.

So what's going on here? I have no idea what is wrong or how to trouble shoot it.

We have checked the ball trough switches and they seem fine.

The self-test switch in the coin door seems like everything tests fine.

I would appreciate any guidance that any of you Flight 2000 experts could provide.

Thank you.

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Yes, it says the right out hole switch is closed. The leaf blades are not touching. I tested the diode and it seemed fine. I even swapped the diode out with one from another leaf switch and the test still says the right out hole switch is closed.
I ordered a bunch of new diodes, so I can swap some in case that’s the problem.
Any other advice for troubleshooting is much appreciated!

#5 3 years ago

Chas10e, thanks for trying to replicate the situation. Now that I’m back in town, I can start doing more troubleshooting in the evenings after work.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Were you able to check out the related switches suggested in the response to you in the Flight 2000 Club thread?

Not tonight. Just got home from a road trip. I’ll be checking out those switches and diodes for problems Tuesday evening! I’m looking forward to digging into it.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

What switches is this third ball hitting when the drop target solenoid fires or is it just sitting in the shooter lane?
You probably should also check the diodes on each of the five drop target switches to rule them out.

Emsrph, tonight after work I'll take the glass off the machine. I'll make sure all the targets are up and none of the roll over switches get touched. Then I'll put the first ball in the launcher. Then when the out hole ejects the second ball, I'll put that up in the launcher as well. Then I'll document what happens. I'll bypass the left side spinner. In theory, only the roll over switch for the ball launcher will have been rolled over twice.

#11 3 years ago

Awesome emsrph, I'll give it a try. I'm sure I'll have to do it several times to make sure I document what happens.
I'm a little confused and nervous about unplugging the J3 from the MPU with the power on. Hopefully it goes fine. haha.
I really appreciate your assistance.

#13 3 years ago

I found this on the pinwiki for bally/stern. I'm not smart enough to fully understand what it is saying, but I was wondering if this could have something to do with my switch 33 showing closed when it looks open?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Switch_Matrix

"Also, the switch commonly referred to as "switch 33" on a Bally or Stern CPU board, and used to reset audits and bookkeeping, is not part of the switch matrix either. This switch receives a signal from the 6800 CPU chip, and when closed, sends the signal to ground. Starting with the first MPU-200 Stern game, Meteor, Stern added a second switch to the inside of the coin door to serve the purpose of remotely resetting audits and bookkeeping. The signal for this secondary switch is tied to the input line of switch 33, and leaves the CPU board via connection A4J3-5. Its return line is sent to ground via a daisy-chained lead to the self test switch."

#16 3 years ago

Thanks again. I'll give the troubleshooting a go tonight after work. I'll start with the switch text using the button inside the coin door. I'll remove the balls, and have the stand up targets all up.
I'll remove the J2 and J3 connectors and see if it shows 0 for the switch errors.
I'll also mess around with putting the 2 balls into the locker/launcher and then note what happens.

#18 3 years ago

1. I removed the J2 and J3 connectors from the MPU board and reconnected them.
2. I moved all of the drop targets up.
3. I removed the balls.
4. I did the switch test and got a 0.
5. I rolled a ball over all of the switches to make sure they registered and all was fine.
6. I started a game.
7. I put 1 ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
8. I put a second ball in the locker. Another ball ejected.
9. I knocked down targets and switches and all seemed fine. So I turned the game off and restarted.
10. The game worked perfectly and I got my high score. Haha!

I guess reseating the J2 and J3 connectors fixed the problem.

Lesson learned. At least now I have a bunch of diodes to start replacing the old ones with.

Thank you to everyone who assisted, especially emsrph. I don't really understand why it is working now, but we will keep playing it and see if it malfunctions again.

QHEB6870[1] (resized).JPGQHEB6870[1] (resized).JPG
#20 3 years ago

I'm back. The problem is back. The switch test using the coin door says that switch #33 is closed. That's the right out hole again.

I removed the J2 connector from the MPU board and got a flashing 0.

My understanding is that this tells me that the problem is under the playfield, is this correct?

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

That's my understanding. Time to start checking switch diodes, switch capacitors, switch gaps, switch wire shorts to other components.

Thanks. I'll report back after digging into it. I was checking a bunch of diodes last night and all seemed fine. I did find one capacitor that had been clipped on one leg. I think it was for the bonus multiplier / special target.

I recreated the fault a few times by starting a game and putting 2 balls into the locker/launcher. The third ball kicked out and the game started acting like balls were draining and then ended. I wasn't even activating other switches at that point, just letting the ball sit by the plunger.

I don't know if this is related or not, but sometimes the out hole doesn't successfully kick a ball out. It tries and the solenoid fires, but it's like the ball gets hung up or doesn't kick out enough.

#23 3 years ago

I think I solved it. I replaced the leaf switch for the right out hole and the switch tab that the black wires connected to had broken.

#25 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is the culprit. I got some practice replacing about 5 diodes though.

IMG_7682[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7682[1] (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanMarino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-problem-after-2-balls-get-locked?tu=DanMarino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.