DSC_8256.JPG
DSC_8259.JPG
DSC_8254.JPG
DSC_8250.JPG
DSC_8242.JPG
DSC_8239.JPG
DSC_8209.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I thought it might be fun to document this undertaking.

First, a little background:

I've developed quite a fondness for the early SS era, as of late. I recently sold a Family Guy and used the money to pick up Paragon, Big Game, Farfalla and F2K. The F2K game play grabbed me, with the extra slings on the PF and the layout. I knew this would be a good candidate for a PF swap, seeing as CPR had recently reproduced the PF. This game should play like a Banshee when done.

Here we go.........

Some before pictures:

DSC_8110.JPGDSC_8110.JPG DSC_8120.JPGDSC_8120.JPG DSC_8125.JPGDSC_8125.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Some more pictures so you can see the general state of the PF.

DSC_8138.JPGDSC_8138.JPG DSC_8157.JPGDSC_8157.JPG DSC_8139.JPGDSC_8139.JPG

#3 12 years ago

Good luck, I never bash someone for bringing new life into something. Looks like the board had some heat.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Looks like the board had some heat.

Not only that but am I seeing the pic right? Did the previous owner remove the bridge rectifiers and put diodes in place? Why do through all of that trouble...weird.

#5 12 years ago

First Picture:
I found a ladel book for wires at Home Depot. Proabably enough pages to last a lifetime, with stickers # 1-45. I labled the lamp wires on the PF.

* Note - I decided to replace the Lamp sockets. They are kinda cheap (1.25) and cheaper when buying in bulk. The older Sterns and Ballys have horriblely unreliable lamp sockets.

Second Picture:
Switches get taped with Yellow Electrical tape and labed with a sharpie.

3rd Picture:

I put the corresponding lable next to the lamp socket hole on the new playfield.

DSC_8166.JPGDSC_8166.JPG DSC_8170.JPGDSC_8170.JPG DSC_8181.JPGDSC_8181.JPG

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

absocountry2 said:Looks like the board had some heat.
Not only that but am I seeing the pic right? Did the previous owner remove the bridge rectifiers and put diodes in place? Why do through all of that trouble...weird.

I know, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. It works, but I want to remove the hacks.

#7 12 years ago

I decided to go with copper wire for the ground braid. This roll is the same gauge used, just not tinned. Will see how much more work it is than tinned. I just couldn't justify the cost difference.
a 100ft roll is over $50 at pinrestore. 500ft roll of copper at HD was $30. We shall see...

Next - Picture of my trusty old Tumbler. My dad found it at the gun shop he used to work in on consignment. Fits a crap-load of stuff!

Always found that Flitz works the best.

DSC_8175.JPGDSC_8175.JPG DSC_8183.JPGDSC_8183.JPG DSC_8195.JPGDSC_8195.JPG

#8 12 years ago

Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for documenting your work.

#9 12 years ago

1) Picking Walnut shells out of screw heads. Yay...fun...Hate that part.

** Note to forum experts, is there a way to write text above and below the uploaded picture?

2) Tumbled parts get organized...somewhat

3) Mechs will be rebuilt with new springs, drops, coil sleeves. I like to hand polish the metal parts.

DSC_8178.JPGDSC_8178.JPG DSC_8177.JPGDSC_8177.JPG DSC_8180.JPGDSC_8180.JPG

#10 12 years ago

1) I like to use this stuff for the hand polishing

2) look at the size of that drop target mech!

3) Old Stripped PF. I had a heck of a time trying to get that left flipper bat out. It is rusted in there..I brought a new flipper base and all new flipper parts.
Old PF will be donated to Jim (WhereIdoldsStood - Change that name!)
I'm sure he will make her look new again, then offer her up here at a resonable price.

DSC_8196.JPGDSC_8196.JPG DSC_8186.JPGDSC_8186.JPG DSC_8192.JPGDSC_8192.JPG

#11 12 years ago

One more post, for now....

Behold the final destination!!! Can you believe the work CPR does? And for a very resonable price!
Admission: I sometimes sneak into the workshop and run my hands over it!

DSC_8187.JPGDSC_8187.JPG DSC_8189.JPGDSC_8189.JPG DSC_8191.JPGDSC_8191.JPG

#12 12 years ago

Wow, thanks for the pics.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Espo66:

Can you believe the work CPR does? And for a very resonable price!

Well, it looks absolutely amazing...but I am confused I guess. I went back through the posts and either I missed it, again, or I am an idiot. You bought a new pf or this is your old one reconditioned by CPR?

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Espo66 said:Can you believe the work CPR does? And for a very resonable price!
Well, it looks absolutely amazing...but I am confused I guess. I went back through the posts and either I missed it, again, or I am an idiot. You bought a new pf or this is your old one reconditioned by CPR?

Sorry, I probably didn't make that clear. This is a new PF I purchased from CPR.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Espo66:

Sorry, I probably didn't make that clear. This is a new PF I purchased from CPR.

Ok, makes a little more sense now, considering you also talked about sending your old pf to where...stood. I have no idea what a pf like this cost from CPR and I guess I could go look but are you willing to share what the pf cost ya? Thanx and good luck with the puzzle you are about to put together.

#16 12 years ago

Saw the title and knew this had to be you. Very excited to play this some day. I'm going to end up with a stack of playfields, I better get busy. Pictures don't do that playfield justice. Was wondering if you made any progress on this over the weekend. DEfinitely need to find some time to come by and give you a hand

Also to put text next to a picture after you upload them, go an edit the post. You will see something that says [attachment:6385836374]. That's your picture and you can write in between each of them

#17 12 years ago

so it begins, that new pf looks amazing! i'll have a similar project with paragon once i get time!!! if i ever get time!!!

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Saw the title and knew this had to be you. Very excited to play this some day. I'm going to end up with a stack of playfields, I better get busy. Pictures don't do that playfield justice. Was wondering if you made any progress on this over the weekend. DEfinitely need to find some time to come by and give you a hand
Also to put text next to a picture after you upload them, go an edit the post. You will see something that says [attachment:6385836374]. That's your picture and you can write in between each of them

Thank for the tip.

Anytime the urge strikes, you are more than welcome to come and help!
I will post some updates later, at lunch time. I was able to get a little farther after work last night. Once I get the ground braid routed through the lamp sockets, you are welcome to the old PF. I just want to use it for refernce for the ground braid. Should be ready this weekend if you want to come get it.

#19 12 years ago

Will be out of town. Maybe some night middle of the week. It's great comming home from work after looking forward to working on your pins all night and actually getting a chance too

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Espo66 said:Sorry, I probably didn't make that clear. This is a new PF I purchased from CPR.
Ok, makes a little more sense now, considering you also talked about sending your old pf to where...stood. I have no idea what a pf like this cost from CPR and I guess I could go look but are you willing to share what the pf cost ya? Thanx and good luck with the puzzle you are about to put together.

Sure, no problem. CPR sells the PF for $575. The plastics are $90, if you buy the PF too. I believe they will sell you the BG for $99, if you have brought the plastics and PF..But mine is not too bad. I might still do it down the road. The shipping was $50. IMO, those prices are extremely resonable, given all the work that goes into these things.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Will be out of town. Maybe some night middle of the week. It's great comming home from work after looking forward to working on your pins all night and actually getting a chance too

You said it! Any updates for the Congo Thread?

#22 12 years ago

Made a small amount of progress last night.

This is what 85 Lamp sockets from pinball life look like

DSC_8208.JPGDSC_8208.JPG

Attached over half of the lights to the new playfield.
DSC_8209.JPGDSC_8209.JPG

#23 12 years ago

Big updates for today. I made a healthy amount of progress over the weekend.

Here is the main drop target back. Notice all the dirty part, wrong drop designs...
DSC_8239.JPGDSC_8239.JPG

Closer view, rusty springs...
DSC_8242.JPGDSC_8242.JPG

All parts cleaned up. New Drops and Springs.

DSC_8250.JPGDSC_8250.JPG

#24 12 years ago

Ground braid being run. BTW, no issues with the non-tinned wire. Save yourself some $ and just get it from Home Depot, if you do not care about the copper color.
DSC_8254.JPGDSC_8254.JPG

Old Woodworking trick. Forgetting this later will come back to haunt me (stay tuned)
DSC_8259.JPGDSC_8259.JPG

Pre-drilling the dimple holes was a big time saver and pretty much a necessity.
DSC_8256.JPGDSC_8256.JPG

#25 12 years ago

Harness wire snaked through. Took some trial and error to get it on the right path. Note to self, take more pictures of this next time. While I'm on the subject, I went ahead and washed the harness in the tub...I don't think it was worth the hassle.
DSC_8260.JPGDSC_8260.JPG

Boy, labeling everything helps more than words can say
DSC_8263.JPGDSC_8263.JPG

Here is the product I used. 7.99 at HD.
DSC_8269.JPGDSC_8269.JPG

#26 12 years ago

Flippers get a rebuild...I should have ordered 1 more EOS...Thought I had it in stock

DSC_8274.JPGDSC_8274.JPG // Error: Image 22605 not found //

Pops and drops in place after rebuilds
DSC_8277.JPGDSC_8277.JPG

#27 12 years ago

Called it a night, just about done with the under playfield and soldering all the wires etc.
DSC_8280.JPGDSC_8280.JPG

Starting to shape up on top too
DSC_8270.JPGDSC_8270.JPG

OK, here is the major boo-boo. I was trying to pre-drill a spot where there was no dimple, for a rollover leaf switch. I had the switch in place, put the bit in and push down too hard...right through to the top. Can't cry about it, though I felt like I could. It is really not too noticeable, and the size of a small drill bit...but on a perfect PF....Grrrrrr. stupid me!
DSC_8272.JPGDSC_8272.JPG

#28 12 years ago

NICE job, and great pictures!! Thanks for posting 'em.

Quoted from Espo66:

OK, here is the major boo-boo

I had to enlarge the picture to even see it. But yeah, I'm sure that was frustrating. I was worried about the same thing when I did my Firepower playfield swap. I addition to wrapping tape around the drill bit, I also used a tight post rubber on the bit - it was nearly impossible for me to over-drill.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

NICE job, and great pictures!! Thanks for posting 'em.
Espo66 said:OK, here is the major boo-boo
I had to enlarge the picture to even see it. But yeah, I'm sure that was frustrating. I was worried about the same thing when I did my Firepower playfield swap. I addition to wrapping tape around the drill bit, I also used a tight post rubber on the bit - it was nearly impossible for me to over-drill.

I like that idea. I will do that next time...hopefully won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for looking.

#30 12 years ago

Dude what you got going on there is just awesome. It's coming out great, keep up the good work!

#31 12 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback guys...I hope to have this puppy back in the game this weekend!

#32 12 years ago

Looking good, get that baby fired up..

Jim

#33 12 years ago

Looked great last night. Deffinetly not a lot left to do. One good night and you could have it done. I sucked at this game before. Will be horrible now. Or maybe I will be better now that the flippers will be orientated correctly and the f on the inlane will work

5 months later
#34 11 years ago

Wow, great post! Then it just ended.... Finished product? How did it come out Espo? Great work!

4 months later
#35 11 years ago

I'm going to bump this bad-boy. Did you stall espo? Happens to everybody. After you dig out from all the snow you guys got up there, I'd love to see photos of the finished product. Looks great so far!

4 months later
#36 10 years ago

Yet another bump for this beautiful machine.

6 years later
#37 4 years ago

WTF Espo66

Where's the BEEF !

Show us the final pics !?!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-playfield-swap-and-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.